Tax Free Weekend Plans

I needed about 30 Wood Dollies from Harbor Freight, so I waited until now to save $12. BFD.

I really want their $200 top tool 8-drawer tool chest, but no. Tho I checked it out - again - today. Dam it is nice.

If it drops during Black Friday events I'll bite.

Harbor Freight....Nice..... You hitting the sauce?

I needed about 30 Wood Dollies from Harbor Freight, so I waited until now to save $12. BFD.

I really want their $200 top tool 8-drawer tool chest, but no. Tho I checked it out - again - today. Dam it is nice.

If it drops during Black Friday events I'll bite.

Harbor Freight....Nice..... You hitting the sauce?

No real shopping and besides we now have a NH address. Went to the Londonderry F&G pig roast and raptor show yesterday and pigged out.

Not shopping today either.

I bough a pair of windshield wiper blades yesterday. I saved $0.80.

Some time between 2003 and 2009, the Commonwealth decided to charge sales tax on beer. I got a call from a Beer and Wine store who had inherited a point of sale package I had written in 1987, and asked me to change it to charge sales tax on beer. I told him I'd modify it for a keg of Guinness. It took me a few hours to review the code to remember what it was doing, but inserted a line of code to charge sales tax on beer after the effective date. He was annoyed when he learned a keg of Guinness was almost $200. I still think I let him off cheap.

A few months later, the sales tax on beer was rescinded. I drove by the place and saw that there was a barber shop there. I was homing for another keg.

Aren't gun safes tax exempt?

Didn't know that.....you're right
Oh well, saved $20 anyway

funny thing, Channel 5 news said that guns were exempt from the free tax weekend on their newscast Friday night. Guess they don't know what they were talking about. Another Anti -gun station?

Didn't know that.....you're right
Oh well, saved $20 anyway

funny thing, Channel 5 news said that guns were exempt from the free tax weekend on their newscast Friday night. Guess they don't know what they were talking about. Another Anti -gun station?
Well it is Channel 5.

Aren't gun safes tax exempt?
Not necessarily at BJ's, they seem to have their own version of Mass Sales Tax Laws!

A year or two ago I was charged sales tax on wine, when I complained the manager apparently told the customer service person that only "some wines" were sales tax exempt. It was the last time I bought wine in a MA BJ's.

I've seen prior posts where people were charged sales tax on safes at BJ's and a couple of other stores. My scathing review of Law Enforcement Supply (Waltham) was about a $160 gun safe that he charged me sales tax on and when handed a copy of the TIR exempting gun safes he still denied it.

I was charged sales tax on a US Flag at Wal-Mart and when I complained to Corporate with a copy of the Mass Sales Tax exemption their legal department responded that it didn't apply to their sales of US Flags. Last time I bought a flag at a Wal-Mart! [This was many years ago now.]

There are certainly some scummy stores out there.

Mass just announced they will have a sales tax free weekend August 29 & 30, 2020

This gives RI, CT and NY people a reason to make a shopping trip to Mass

Not necessarily at BJ's, they seem to have their own version of Mass Sales Tax Laws!

A year or two ago I was charged sales tax on wine, when I complained the manager apparently told the customer service person that only "some wines" were sales tax exempt. It was the last time I bought wine in a MA BJ's.

I've seen prior posts where people were charged sales tax on safes at BJ's and a couple of other stores. My scathing review of Law Enforcement Supply (Waltham) was about a $160 gun safe that he charged me sales tax on and when handed a copy of the TIR exempting gun safes he still denied it.

I was charged sales tax on a US Flag at Wal-Mart and when I complained to Corporate with a copy of the Mass Sales Tax exemption their legal department responded that it didn't apply to their sales of US Flags. Last time I bought a flag at a Wal-Mart! [This was many years ago now.]

There are certainly some scummy stores out there.

There are lots of places with their own version of tax-free.

I ordered some clothing on a website that typically doesn't sell clothing. Sales tax to MA.

So I email them to correct it.

The answer was: "Well, our very expensive system says so so we're gonna and tough."

Last order I've placed with them. They didn't even try to understand. It's 3rd party and they just go with the flow. And the person wasn't real nice about it either.

There are lots of places with their own version of tax-free.

I ordered some clothing on a website that typically doesn't sell clothing. Sales tax to MA.

So I email them to correct it.

The answer was: "Well, our very expensive system says so so we're gonna and tough."

Last order I've placed with them. They didn't even try to understand. It's 3rd party and they just go with the flow. And the person wasn't real nice about it either.

It was probably some low level customer service kid working during a break from college or something. They just go by the script they're given.

It was probably some low level customer service kid working during a break from college or something. They just go by the script they're given.
I ran across one of them on a Hyannis Harbor cruise 20 years ago. The barmaid was a student from Ireland. She tried to tell me the Bud was imported and cost more. So I asked "What do you have that's not imported?" Pete's Wicked Ale. Great. I'll have one of those.

Maybe. But no reply to my reply explaining how they were wrong.

Oh well. Some day they'll ask me for my opinion on something and won't like my reply.

What I don't get is that there are intelligent people who point out problems in surveys and such and nothing is ever done about it. No contact directly with that person. No policy changes. Why bother having the survey???

I had one this week that was 40 questions long. And it wasn't easy questions. It took 15-20 min. (And they SAID it would take 15-20. In most cases, hell in all cases besides this one, 15-20 means 5 tops.) Crazy questions and the selections were totally off base from the question they asked. And I told them. I'm still not sure what they were really looking for. I think it was a bunch of people at this organization that WANTED some feedback but weren't sure what they wanted or why. They asked strange demographic info that really didn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom