Tavor X95 vs. Tavor SAR

GeorgeMason

NES Member
I’ve been interested in a Tavor bullpup for a while. I’ve been looking at the x95 as I prefer the ar style controls. It seems the SAR can be had for much cheaper. Other than the different controls, I don’t really see a huge difference. I’m a dumbass, so I’m clearly missing something, so maybe you guys can help me out.

Online prices seem the same for the two models? I even looked at prices on "restricted state" versions to be shipped to your LGS.

Given your preference for AR-style controls, and also the better factory trigger, go with the X-95.

Online prices seem the same for the two models? I even looked at prices on "restricted state" versions to be shipped to your LGS.

Given your preference for AR-style controls, and also the better factory trigger, go with the X-95.

I can get the SAR for $300-$400 cheaper. What makes the trigger better?

What's the total damage? 1700 vs 1400? 300$ buys you a lot of optic.

Exactly my thoughts. I am severely lacking in the optics department.

Buy it at an FFL who does gunsmithing so you dont get boned with an ugly ass brake.
Cough cough Northeast Arms cough.

I’m loyal to death to my FFL. He’ll accommodate me in regards to what brake I choose.

Initial buy of the SAR may be better. Use the saved money on an optic. Buy the trigger kit later.

Do you think the trigger is a necessary upgrade?

Crap-ton of SAR after-market stuff that will temp you for more than the SAR-X95 cost difference, but you can spend on either.I have the 556/X95 with Geissele Trigger Pack and Trigger - usually 20% off for any holiday. Makes it shoot very nice. Mepro M21 optic with bullseye (good for Minute of Man) & 300BO barrel kit too.

I have a stock x95 with the mepro m21. I never handled or shot the SAR, so can't speak to it. But the x95 is very nice out of the box I see no reason to do anything to it as far as trigger. In fact, thinking of getting rid of the optic and using only the built-in sights (they are great). I prefer the AR style controls. Good luck!

the tavors (SAR and X95) along my mini 14 are the most fired rifles i've ever own. both the SAR and X95 are phenomenal bullpups. neither one is superior. the mechanics are nearly identical. BCG is interchangeable. don't fall for any hype that one is "better". both are great it's simply a matter of preference.

my personal preference is actually for the SAR over the X95 because i prefer the old school paddle mag release over the AR-like button up over the trigger guard. i also prefer the asthetics on the tavor. the charging handle location is a wash. it doesn't matter. bolt drops are near identical. the trigger on the X95 is lighter, although the SAR has two trigger return springs and will run perfectly fine with just one. remove that spring and you'll bring the SAR's trigger down a few lbs. just don't lose that little spring because I hear IWI won't mail out replacements ;) i personally don't find the upgraded trigger packs (e.g. geissele super sabra) unless shooting out beyond say 200-300 yards. if going to really stretch the rifle out then you'll want to drop $$ for such a trigger, but for defensive or 0-200 yard purposes i believe the factory trigger is a better option.

the SAR is no longer being imported, so if you want something that will sort of appreciate over time go with the SAR

regardless of which rifle you get, i have found the following minor issues with both tavor models:

1) rail height is stupid. optics need to ride higher than a typical AR mount will allow. can get extra high rings or for the X95 go with a midwest industries rail in lieu of the factory rail. expensive solution but looks fantastics. on the SAR will likely need a riser or high rings. it's an annoying issue but pretty easily fixed. just plan it out before you drop $$ into an optics mount and realize it won't work.

2) buttpad sucks. it's flat. doesn't shoulder correctliy. under recoil it allows rifle to pivot up. replace it with the manticore arms curved buttpad. best $70 to spend on the tavor
Manticore Arms - Tavor Curved Buttpad

Very happy with my SAR IDF that I picked up in a group buy. I also picked up a Timney trigger pack for it in another group buy which made a world of difference.

Back
Top Bottom