• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tavor X95 review

bdb

NES Member
A little review of the X95 for anyone who is interested and maybe thinking about one of these rifles as well.

I decided to buy myself a little present on July 2nd, I picked up an FDE Tavor X95. I had an old Primary Arms red dot kicking around the junk bin and put it on while I decide what to mount on this rifle. I put on a Magpul AFG as well that I had in the bin. Given the mount it ends up as an absolute co-witness with the iron sights.

So as a non-operator, here are my thoughts on the rifle.

First I find an absolute co-witness too low of a mount and will move to a lower 1/3 setup. Being pretty comfortable with an AR platform I am still getting used to this rifle. I bought it July 2nd and by the 7th I had 4 range trips and about 800 rounds through it. I first zeroed at 25 yards per my range rules (MRA) then moved out to 50 yards to zero it there and then headed up to NH to an action pit to really play with it and finally took it to the 100/200 range at MRA. All ammo was Wolf Gold 55gr.

With a 50 yard zero it's about 1.5-2" low at 25 yards. About 4-5" high at 100 and still about 4-5" high at 200. The reading I did says with a 50 yard zero it's back on zero at about 270 yards. This is clearly not a bench rest toy given the dimensions (very tall ) but it still shot decent with bulk ammo at 100 and 200. About a 3" group at 100 and about 6" at 200 with a 1 power shitty red dot that I sometimes have to smack the sight to get the dot to come back on :)

I am still clumsy with the mag changes and general manipulation. I am used to being able to grab the AR pistol grip with all fingers under the trigger guard to manipulate it which you can't really do with the Tavor, at least without replacing the stock grip with the pistol grip option similar to the AR. One time I went to grab the fore end during a mag change (slung in a 2 point sling) and grabbed the comp instead since it's so much shorter than my ARs. For the record, I don't recommend this after putting roughly 100 rounds through it in short order!!

So, after getting used to it I really like it but will take much more shooting to become as comfortable with it as I am with the ARs. On my Pelham trip I brought multiple rifles and pistols as usual and for the first time ever I completely depleted my AR mags and ammo without taking a single AR out of the case :) One downside is I set up a bunch of Gatorade bottles full of water on the berm and after my first mag (at 75 yards) there were no targets left to shoot. I guess that's a good thing :) While it is a pricey gun, I really like shooting it. Well balanced and quick transitions between targets. If you don't have one and have the cash, I'd highly recommend getting one :)

Anyway that is my unprofessional $.02 on it.

IMG_7799.jpg

I really like my x95 and your review makes me want to take it with me to the range the next time I go this week.
As bullpups go I found the stock trigger to be totally decent but a bit heavy. Comparable to a mil-spec AR.
Although it probably was total overkill I dropped in Geissele Super Sabra trigger and Lighting Trigger Bow.
Now the thing rips. I also swapped to a pistol grip.
I am running a Meprolight co-witnessed and I find that it is perfectly situated. I am not a big fan of lower 1/3 it might make a difference that I am relatively small framed (5',8"). The Mep sight is OK, but have been meaning to try compare with an MRO or EOTech and a magnifier.
It's got the whole Israeli thing going on but it is massive!
I've always viewed the Tavor as strictly CQB/PDW and now that I think of it, I don't think that I've ever shot it past 25 yards.
It's the rifle I have in a discreet and compact go-bag I keep in my apartment that I would grab if shit started to go sideways and I needed to get out of the city.
The reloads are definitely weird at first and the one part of the manual of arms that takes some serious adjustment.
I definitely have tried to load mags in the handguard a bunch of times. [laugh]

The reason I was looking for the lower 1/3 co-witness is I find the absolute is a little low, really have get my face down on it, much more so than any of my AR's. I find the trigger pull loooooong and yeah a bit heavy but not horrible. I may put in an aftermarket trigger at some point and have also thought about that pistol grip over what it has now. I am waiting on a mount right now for my Vortex Venom (3MOA) that I am not using and I'll try it. If I don't like that on it I will look at buying something else, a Sig Romeo 7 maybe.

I've had an X95 for a few months now, and I'm embarrassed to admit that I just got it to the range for the first time yesterday![rolleyes] Anyway, I only put 2 30rd mags through it because I had other stuff to shoot and was zeroing the irons as I haven't had a chance to drop an optic on it yet. Anyway, I absolutely loved shooting it! I couldn't use the 100yd range because it was crowded, so I only got to use it at about 30-35 yds., but was very impressed at the groups I was holding offhand with iron sights and somewhat shitty eyesight. I was easily holding the groups within a 1.5" circle. Can't wait to get a decent optic on it, but I'm super impressed with this gun so far. I have a feeling it's going to be a favorite range toy for sure. The trigger wasn't terrible, even though I'm a bit spoiled by the Gisselle in my AR, and RR in my 15-22. I may spring for the Super Sabra at some point, but I'll probably just enjoy it as is for awhile.

I hear ya, I got a few more trips in with mine. It is amazing how fast you can burn a mag and stay close to on target. No muzzle climb ( I have a YHM brake on it), no real recoil. I went through another 500 rounds in the action pit at Pelham on Sunday. For now its my favorite toy. But its definitely a plugs and muffs even outside gun for me!!!

I hear ya, I got a few more trips in with mine. It is amazing how fast you can burn a mag and stay close to on target. No muzzle climb ( I have a YHM brake on it), no real recoil. I went through another 500 rounds in the action pit at Pelham on Sunday. For now its my favorite toy. But its definitely a plugs and muffs even outside gun for me!!!

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I have the BCM brake on mine (Mod 1, I believe). It worked really well, and was surprisingly manageable sound-wise. I just had my regular muffs with no discomfort, but it could be accumulated hearing loss, lol. Next time I'll have to compare it to one of my other ARs to see how the sound level compares. Hard to say without something to compare to, and not having been to range in a few months. I will say that my cousin was shooting his WASR next to me, and his rifle was way louder.

The BCM (A2) brake is a totally decent at managing sound. Two days ago I was shooting my X95 along side my 805 Bren (which has a stock CZ comp). The dude next to me asked about my Tavor and if I was shooting 5.56 in both because of the substantial difference in the perceived volumes of the two rifles (The 805 was much louder).

The BCM (A2) brake is a totally decent at managing sound. Two days ago I was shooting my X95 along side my 805 Bren (which has a stock CZ comp). The dude next to me asked about my Tavor and if I was shooting 5.56 in both because of the substantial difference in the perceived volumes of the two rifles (The 805 was much louder).

You're right, it does have kind of an A2ish look to it, with the exception of that internal cone and end cap. Yeah, I was pretty impressed as I mentioned with the sound level, even though all I had to compare to at the time was the WASR.

Last edited:
They have the X-95 300 Blackout Conversion Kits for sale with RH bolt - LH sold out. Tempting, I've used RH bolt rifles but they ejected RH too.

Back
Top Bottom