• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tavor: who has one or opinion

Hey All.
Just got a Tavor 7 and I'm thrilled to go to the range. FFL I bought it from said that it doesn't need to be pinned and welded. After some research and reading I'm getting lots of opinions that it DOES need to be pinned and welded. Any other insights? Maybe a thread kicking around with anything definitive? (I know, I know "talk to a lawyer).

Hey All.
Just got a Tavor 7 and I'm thrilled to go to the range. FFL I bought it from said that it doesn't need to be pinned and welded. After some research and reading I'm getting lots of opinions that it DOES need to be pinned and welded. Any other insights? Maybe a thread kicking around with anything definitive? (I know, I know "talk to a lawyer).
I believe there's a past thread about the tavors cutlass grip not being considered a "pistol grip". Pretty much 50/50 split on that opinion. Mine is yes it does, but opinions are like a**holes, so on and so forth. Let your conscience be your guide. Hopefully someday soon the MA AWB rules will be a thing of the past.

Any other insights?
Pinning is needed to make the gun compliant with Mass AWB or so the story goes. Here's the problem, the determination whether a rifle is banned or not looks at 5 "features" of which you can't have more than one. there are only two items that could on that list that "could" apply to Tavors: threaded barrel and "pistol grip". Well the pistol grip is a nonstarter here: Tavor does not qualify on all three attributes of that "determination. Allow me to explain
The text of the law that defines the "Pistol grip" evil feature is written as such: "a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;". In order to be applicable the firearm, ALL THREE terms need to apply. Let's look at the three highlighted terms and how any/all of them apply to Tavor's:
  • "pistol grip". Tavor does not have a pistol-style grip. It's a grip with features and shape that no pistol ever used. I challenge you to find ANY pistol, in common use, that has a grip that looks like Tavor. But even if one were to stretch the truth and call it "pistol grip", the other two terms do not
  • "protrudes conspicuously". To protrude means to be sticking out on its own without support. Tavors have the front strap that goes to the grip, which makes it impossible to call it "protruding". But let's say you wanted to stretch the truth even more and say that the front strap is part of the grip and therefore "protruding". Well, here comes the final and undeniable "term".
  • "beneath the action". Tavor grip sits far in front of the rifle's action, NOT beneath it.
So no, the pistol grip determination does not apply to Tavors which means the threaded barrel is the only item on the determination list and can be left as is. Unfortunately for me, my FFL was too chicken and pin-welded a break to my rifle. Now I have to find a gunsmith that can remove it...

For MA inmates only.

The Tavor is like any other gun that might be considered an assault weapon. If you are at the point where you are arguing in court as to whether or not the cutlass grip on the Tavor qualifies as a pistol grip, you are already in a lot of trouble. (And even IWI refers to it as "a modular Tavor style pistol grip that can be swapped out to a standard pistol grip”, emphasis added.) I really didn’t like the cutlass grip, since when I took my finger off the trigger that little bump on the grip was too small to keep my middle finger from sliding up behind the trigger, making getting back on the trigger a pain. So I switched to the standard pistol grip, which makes it much more AR like. With the standard pistol grip, there really is no argument, you need to pin/weld a muzzle device (the argument about “beneath the action” would be a matter of semantics since it is definitely “below” the line of the action, though not “directly below” it, so it’s how you interpret beneath, since the law doesn’t say “directly beneath"). However, a properly executed pin/weld can be undone (at the cost of sacrificing the muzzle device) in under five minutes with a decent grinder. If you want to preserve the muzzle device, you can use a drill press with an appropriate vice and do it in a little bit longer.

Of course, the chances of you ever having to prove that you muzzle device is “fixed” on any “assault weapon” type rifle is pretty small as long as you’re not being busted for something more important. So whether you pin/weld your muzzle device is a matter of your personal risk acceptance. Given how easy it is to remove a properly executed pin/weld, I see no reason not to do it.

Back
Top Bottom