Tavor 7

I've seen some mixed reviews on the Tavor 7. I'm considering purchasing one and was wondering if anyone has any feedback on it. A bull pup 308 seems like a great option with all of the restrictions on what we can buy here in MA. If you're not a fan what suggestions do you have? I'm not tied to a 308.

I was considering the Tavor-7 after it was first announced, but then with the accuracy problems I kind of lost interest. I might go for the TS-12, as "shotgun like" accuracy is expected.

If you're not a fan what suggestions do you have? I'm not tied to a 308.
What calibers and magazine types do you currently have?

You’re not going to get incredible range from the Tavor 7, nor will you get as tight groupings as you would with an AR10. Yes it looks badass but it’s also heavy and I feel like an AR10 would outperform it in most areas.

I was considering the Tavor-7 after it was first announced, but then with the accuracy problems I kind of lost interest. I might go for the TS-12, as "shotgun like" accuracy is expected.

What calibers and magazine types do you currently have?
I don't have any yet so I'm open. I've always been more of a hand gun guy so rifles are new

^In that case I recommend taking a “Rifle Essentials” course and then you’ll have a better idea of the tradeoffs of each platform. I took mine in Houston, TX and learned basic rifle mechanics on an AR Saint. Totally awesome AR but harder to find in MA :( . Then my first rifle I bought was a Mini-14. The thing about bullpups is they’re a different beast than other rifles, but they have solid ergonomics and are great for CQB so much so that our soldiers train with them overseas. Probably most people would take a Tavor over a Mini-14 any day of the week. But Mini-14s are less expensive and teach good upkeeping habits and basic rifle mechanics. The advantage I would give the Tavor 7 is that it is more compact than the AR10 if you can SBR it and grab some 30 round mags it would be a real monster for CQB.

I shot a Tavor SAR-5.56 and, for me, hard pass. The recoil with the .223 Tavor was more noticeable than an AR or a .223 AK. In 7.62 NATO, I would imagine this would be worse.

If you're looking for a 7.62 NATO semi-auto rifle, I'd instead suggest a FAL (possible in Mass if you try hard enough), CETME or G3, AR10/SR-25, or M14-platform. Or, try a Tavor 7 before you buy. Try to put a couple hundred rounds through one first.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a 7.62 NATO rifle I think I will always suggest a FAL, although being in MA this may be more challenging.

I'm not tied to a 308.

Just to add, considering OP isn't a current rifle owner, .308 isn't really a great cartridge for new rifle shooters. In a normally-functioning market, .308 or 7.62 surplus is around thirty to fifty cents per round for normal range ammo. This is on the high end for "blasting" or basic training ammo. As a new rifle shooter, you're going to want to shoot a lot to familiarize yourself with the basics of rifle shooting.

I'd instead suggest a gun in 7.62x39 or .223, assuming OP doesn't want to start with a rimfire. A rimfire would be ideal, such as a 10/22 or a bolt-action .22. A 10/22 or a Savage bolt-action .22 would be around $200 and an easy entry into rifle shooting. But, again, ignoring rimfire options, I'd instead suggest something in 7.62x39 or .223.

7.62x54r used to be a cheap way to get into centerfire rifles, but that's no longer the case.

^Yes AUGs are glorious but be careful because if you fall in love with them, like FALs, they are very hard to find in MASS for reasonable prices.

Last edited:
I had an X95 and I tried reeeely reeeeely hard to like it but I never warmed up to it. Just could not get the kind of accuracy I could with my AR. Wound up selling it.

Am still waiting for them to come out with a 20inch barrel tavor7, stupid massachuset awb,let hope our governor and ag catch corona flu and die 🙄

The 20" barrel is currently available on Canadian models, IIRC with the same twist rate. Its availability has nothing to do with the Mass AWB, but was purely an IWI decision of which to market in the US.

I shot a Tavor SAR-5.56 and, for me, hard pass. The recoil with the .223 Tavor was more noticeable than an AR or a .223 AK. In 7.62 NATO, I would imagine this would be worse.

This is a good point. IWI switched the Tavor 7 to a short-stroke piston instead of the long-stroke of the SAR to address some of these concerns about recoil. With the right brake, recoil is reduced even further (at the expense of increased blast and pissed off neighbors at the range. ;)

The question for @jraysig : what is the mission?

If it is to have fun, get whatever you want 308 or other caliber. If precision then look for those models. Hunting is a different tool. Thinking about how you'll use it is the only thing that matters.

I just got back from the range with my Tavor 7. Its built like a tank and is a delight to shoot. Very mild recoil thanks to 9lb weight and bullpup configuration with most of the weight on your shoulder (no need for a recoil pad), great ergonomics, quick mag changes...slap on a red dot and you are ready for hi-power CQB! Also, has been 100% reliable thru 500 rounds.

I just got back from the range with my Tavor 7. Its built like a tank and is a delight to shoot. Very mild recoil thanks to 9lb weight and bullpup configuration with most of the weight on your shoulder (no need for a recoil pad), great ergonomics, quick mag changes...slap on a red dot and you are ready for hi-power CQB! Also, has been 100% reliable thru 500 rounds.

cjmass, any ammo preference? I've seen reviews that discourage using Wolf and other steel-cased ammo but it seems to be primer dependent?

I have had my Tavor 7 for about a year now and i absolutly love it. I am able to shoot 2 inch groups at a hundred yards and the recoil is more of a push instead of a jolt like my m1a socom 16. This rifle i believe is not meant for long range shooting and is a CQB rifle at which i believe it would excel. I put an eotech green halographic sight on it with the eotech magnifier and this thing rocks. Also have sutefire duel fuel light on it. Set up for CQB. It is a blast to shoot. I have 3 other 308 battle rifles and the Tavor is my favorite to shoot right there with my Scar 17. I also put a curved butt pad on it. Feels nice. The trigger is fine and i have no intentions of replacing it. And it is a breeze to break down. Everybody should get one

Back
Top Bottom