Tavor-21 18 inch restricted model

I'm a little confused as to whether this would technically be legal in CT now:

http://iwi.us/TAVOR/TAVOR-B18RS

Specs:

Magazine TypePolymer NATO STANAG type

Magazine Capacity10 rounds

Barrel MaterialCold hammer forged, CrMoV, chrome lined

Barrel Length18"

Overall Length30" (with 2 ⅜" permanently attached muzzle brake)

Weight8.15 lbs.

RiflingRight hand, 6 grooves, 1:7 inch twist

Stock ColorBlack

Stock TypeReinforced polymer bullpup configuration

SightsFolding front sight (blade) with Tritium insert and rear sight (aperture)

Restricted States* This model is compliant with Maryland, Massachusetts and New Jersey regulations in effect as of June 1, 2014. IWI US will not be responsible to any changes in state law after June 1, 2014 that may restrict the sale of these rifles in MD, MA or NJ.

The CA model (16.5 barrel, making is under the 30 inch limit) says it requires a tool to remove the mag. Not sure if this is setup the same way or not. What I'm confused about is there was a link to a page that said "a centerfire rifle with a fixed magazine with the ABILITY to accept more than 10 rounds". How are they determining the ABILITY to accept more than 10 rounds? Does that mean that "oh, you have an AR-15 with registered mags and another rifle that has the ability to accept them, now you are illegal"?

I won't hold myself out to be an expert here but there's nothing on that rifle that would automatically preclude it from be sold here. The mag, itself, would be the problem but it's only 10 rounds so falls within the specs. And, we don't even need a "fixed" mag here (yet) so needing a tool (probably a round) would not be necessary.

You can buy a kit to convert an SKS into essentially this exact scenario which is also legal so I don't see why this rifle would be restricted. But, that's just me.

Rome

If the mag is detachable its considered an AW in CT; because it has a pistol grip. Detachable mag, it can't even have ONE evil feature.

If you make it a non detachable mag, which other people have done with ARs, it technically isn't an AW.

I'm not a lawyer, nor am I an expert. This is just my opinion/interpretation of the law. I would be my pay check there are more than a few cops out there that wouldn't agree with me.

woda is correct.

Because it is a semi automatic rifle that accepts detachable mags, even one evil feature makes it an AW. That evil feature is a pistol grip.

So no, you can't get one, at least not legally. I certainly don't discourage people from breaking the law that way, but you need to know what you are getting into.

In my opiinion, if you are going to commit a felony, at least do it for a worthwhile gun. I own both a SCAR and a Tavor and find the SCAR to be a much better firearm.

Part of it is that I've been shooting ARs for almost 30 years. So I'm used to them. The SCAR has much the same manual of arms. The tavor is ENTIRELY different. So that annoys me.

If you do get a Tavor, make sure you budget $250 for one of the aftermarket trigger packs. They absolutely transform the gun.

Don

p.s. One other option is to permanently affix the mag. Although it would be a nightmare to reload. If you just wanted to have it, permatnently attaching the mag would make it legal. But you could not realistically use the rifle that way. At least with an AR, you can open the action and load with a stripper clip. With a Tavor, there is no action to open.

Thanks. The CA version does use a bullet button. Never was happy with any of the SCARs I handled (both 5.56 and 7.62), always seemed to feel...loose, very rattlely. Did like the look of the ACR, but never had the funds. Now IWI bringing the Tavor AND Galil ACE to the US, wish I could convince the wife to move across the border, but it's a no-go. At least I have my AR for now.

Edit: I was reviewing http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/ACT/PA/2013PA-00003-R00SB-01160-PA.htm

To double check something (long shot, I know)

[(ii) A] (II)Any grip of the weapon, including a pistol grip, a thumbhole stock, or any other stock, the use of which would allow an individual to grip the weapon, resulting in any finger on the trigger hand in addition to the trigger finger being directly below any portion of the action of the weapon when firing;

(3) "Action of the weapon" means the part of the firearm that loads, fires and ejects a cartridge, which part includes, but is not limited to, the upper and lower receiver, charging handle, forward assist, magazine release and shell deflector;

I think we get hit on the "but is not limited to" in this case, unfortunately. The action is, per this definition, in the butt of the rifle.

Directly below the charging handle? No, it's slightly behind it.

Last edited:
EMitch - Yes, the grip being below the action is an evil feature that makes the rifle an AW, provided that it

1) is semi-automatic AND
2) has a detachable magazine.

If fails either of those tests then NONE of the other items matter.

For a firearm to be an AW, it must first be semi-auto with a detachable mag.

Permanently affix a mag to an AR, SCAR, or Tavor, and it ceases to be an AW.

Allow a detachable mag and render them NOT semi-auto and they cease to be an AW.

Don

Back
Top Bottom