• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taurus TX 22 Review

Ive always had better performance with 40 gr out of pistols. my guess is there’s something with that lighter projectiles the tx22 doesn’t like. The rifling on my tx22 also looks gnarly. I run the same ammo all the time (aguila 40 gr) and CCI std velocity 40 gr.
Yeah mine definitely likes 40 gr better as well. But I still get good accuracy with Aguila 38 gr, CCI 36 gr and Federal 325 rd value packs which are 36 gr.

Be interesting to see how it shoots a newer brick of Federal 550 I got at Walmart last year.

The rifling on both of my barrels seem normal as far as I can tell. I got lucky I guess.

Yeah mine definitely likes 40 gr better as well. But I still get good accuracy with Aguila 38 gr, CCI 36 gr and Federal 325 rd value packs which are 36 gr.

Be interesting to see how it shoots a newer brick of Federal 550 I got at Walmart last year.

The rifling on both of my barrels seem normal as far as I can tell. I got lucky I guess.

it may be worthwhile to test that federal 36 gr stuff out of some other firearms. if it keyholes with another pistol or rifle I’d imagine federal will replace it.

are the bullet diameter different? It may also Be worth pulling a bullet to measure.

it may be worthwhile to test that federal 36 gr stuff out of some other firearms. if it keyholes with another pistol or rifle I’d imagine federal will replace it.

are the bullet diameter different? It may also Be worth pulling a bullet to measure.
Good point. I did measure a few (without pulling them) and seems like they’re around .223-.224"
Just using my digital calipers. I’ve only got 800 rounds of it left so I don’t really mind.

I’ll have to shoot it out of the Nordic Components 22 AR upper.

Tested the various types of federal 36 gr ammo in my Nordic 22lr upper. Ragged hole accuracy. So I guess it’s not the ammo. Well it’s a combination of the ammo and my Taurus barrel.

Shit I forgot to try 36 gr mini mags. I’ve got about 2k rounds of federal 36 gr
I guess I’ll have to save it for my 22 upper instead.

From searching other forums it appears tx22 keyholing is somewhat frequent problem due to wonky rifling and lead deposition in barrel. Some have fixed the issue by running only copper plated bullets. I’m going to bore scope my tx22 and confirm no keyholes before running it suppressed…not interested in learning it was keyholing by shredding a baffle.

From searching other forums it appears tx22 keyholing is somewhat frequent problem due to wonky rifling and lead deposition in barrel. Some have fixed the issue by running only copper plated bullets. I’m going to bore scope my tx22 and confirm no keyholes before running it suppressed…not interested in learning it was keyholing by shredding a baffle.
That’s what I heard too. But it seems to shoot the 40 grain ammo just fine. Although I’ve only been shooting it at my rimfire dueling tree. Probably should get it on paper just to confirm. But I suspect it’s fine because when I shot my dueling tree with a 36 grain I could barely hit it😂

Finally had a chance to shoot it tonight Only put 50 rounds of Aguila 38 grain ammo through it. This was a target at about 35 feet shooting at a steady pace.
View attachment 425801
The first few shots were at 11 o’clock and 2 o’clock and then they all started landing in the bullseye. I didn’t even have to adjust the sights.

I can’t get over that trigger! Super light and crisp.

Last night I was manually cycling rounds and noticed they weren’t feeding. Took apart the mags and lubed them with some silicone spray. Good to go after that.
That target was with Aguila 38 gr. Amazing what 2-4 gr difference will make

If a .22 barrel keyholes with bullets less than 40 grains, I would suspect it is defective. At best, it is on the bleeding edge of passable tolerances.

There are a variety of .22 rounds, like CCI Stingers, that are 32 grains, and even some that are 29 grain. These ultra-velocity lightweight rounds are known for having mediocre accuracy in some guns, but they still don't keyhole.

The 40 gr Aguila shot well today. Night and day from that 36 gr shit lol.
The damn front sight fiber optic rod has loosened up and I didn’t get any extras when I bought the sights from Tandemkross. They use giant 2mm rods which of course none of my other pistol fiber optic sights use…
Bought some fiber optic rods from Tandemkross until I find a cheaper source.

Last edited:
The 40 gr Aguila shot well today. Night and day from that 36 gr shit lol.
The damn fiber optic rod has loosened up and I didn’t get any extras when I bought the sights from Tandemkross. They use giant 2mm rods which of course none of my other pistol fiber optic sights use…
Bought some fiber optic rods from Tandemkross until I find a cheaper source.
Andrew,
Which site was that?
The individual front sight or the set?

That target was with Aguila 38 gr. Amazing what 2-4 gr difference will make
I've been benchresting various ammo brands and weights and CCI Clean 40 grain and Aguila Super Extra 40 grain have been giving me 25 yard groups of 3", zero keyholes and groups would be even smaller with a red dot. CCI Meat Eater 36 grain was all over the paper with some keyholing.

I've been benchresting various ammo brands and weights and CCI Clean 40 grain and Aguila Super Extra 40 grain have been giving me 25 yard groups of 3", zero keyholes and groups would be even smaller with a red dot. CCI Meat Eater 36 grain was all over the paper with some keyholing.
Nice!! I had some keyholing issues with the pink CCI "clean" 22 ammo in my SR22 but never tried it in my TX22.
3" groups with your TX22? That's pretty darn good for this gun - not a bullseye target pistol obviously.

I have plenty of top tier stuff. The TX-22 and some of their other newer stuff are getting very good reviews. G2C is another. I agree with you on the revolvers, would never get anything from Taurus. I thought everyone knew that. [rofl]
Like it says in my info---could not afford a Sig. etc. so I did a lot of reading and listening--found that after shooting the g3c in Dracut---That was for me and the price was right
I take very good care of my weapon and it fires true ---after about 500 rounds of Winchester white box and also Fed--124 Punch--knock on wood no tap and racks YET !!!! I'm very happy
with the Taurus g3c for now!

The TX22 definitely needs better sights, just like every Glock I've ever owned. But those Eagle Eye sights are just too damn tall, they mess up the whole look of the gun from it's profile view. The sight picture is nice, but that profile??? I don't think I can live with that. There has to be a non suppressor height set of decent sights out there somewhere...

The TX22 definitely needs better sights, just like every Glock I've ever owned. But those Eagle Eye sights are just too damn tall, they mess up the whole look of the gun from it's profile view. The sight picture is nice, but that profile??? I don't think I can live with that. There has to be a non suppressor height set of decent sights out there somewhere...
Agreed. I only got them because they were the only fully adjustable sights I could find. I hate how tall they are.

I am going to install a Dawson Precision front sight since I have them on my other guns & really like them.
I see someone has already done it with success.
Another option of installing them is to take is a couple of strokes of a file on the front edge of slot of the slide (it's aluminum so it shouldn't take much) & you could use a favorite Glock front sight. You may still have to take a little off of the bottom of the sight so the screw doesn't bottom out.

I am going to install a Dawson Precision front sight since I have them on my other guns & really like them.
I see someone has already done it with success.
Another option of installing them is to take is a couple of strokes of a file on the front edge of slot of the slide (it's aluminum so it shouldn't take much) & you could use a favorite Glock front sight. You may still have to take a little off of the bottom of the sight so the screw doesn't bottom out.
Ya I love dawson sights. All I use on my CZs and 1911's.

I'd like to know if the loctite kept the front sight secure. I was hoping he'd have an update at the end of the video but he didn't.

Me personally, I'd rather mess with and potentially F up a $30ish sight than the $100 slide.

Let us know how you make out with the DP sight!

Ya I love dawson sights. All I use on my CZs and 1911's.

Me personally, I'd rather mess with and potentially F up a $30ish sight than the $100 slide.
Let us know how you make out with the DP sight!
I figured I'd practice on Cuz's slide first then get back to you. :) Seriously, I'll order a Dawson sight within the next couple of days & keep you guys posted.

I'm too impatient, I went and ordered the sight set from Lakeline LLC. I figure for $34 hopefully the rear sight will be decent. If the set doesn't hit where I want them too, then I'll calculate the front sight height I need and go the Dawson route.

I'm too impatient, I went and ordered the sight set from Lakeline LLC. I figure for $34 hopefully the rear sight will be decent. If the set doesn't hit where I want them too, then I'll calculate the front sight height I need and go the Dawson route.

Noice

Back
Top Bottom