Taurus TX 22 Review

Just ordered the new sights from Tandemkross. Fully adjustable which is what sold me. I’ll report back once it arrives and I get it out to the range.
Pretty good sights. Big upgrade from the cheap plastic factory rear sight lol.
I guess my only gripe is the height of the sights. Looks kinda goofy. But they are suppressor height sights so. Something I’ll never get to utilize😔

Got it zeroed real quick today at the range. Nice to be able to adjust for elevation now. 468BF9D4-2F85-4C98-A8C0-0FB78B981E0C.jpeg0E2E378B-0118-4C60-B89F-85C7B2B5582A.jpeg

nice TX22. I had mine out a few weekends ago and enjoyed it. It is a great Rimfire host. Rimfire suppressors are thin enough one doesn’t even need suppressor height sights to clear the can.

@andrew1220 never move to a free state. You will Go broke from suppressor purchases within a year. Don’t ask me how I know. BTW you probably know this but if you have any property in NH or someone in NH that can also be an founder/RP on the trust, it’s fine for a MA subject to a establish a trust in NH and acquire NFA items there. I never did this but the excellent NFA attorney Jeff Bussell gave me an overview on it.

nice TX22. I had mine out a few weekends ago and enjoyed it. It is a great Rimfire host. Rimfire suppressors are thin enough one doesn’t even need suppressor height sights to clear the can.

@andrew1220 never move to a free state. You will Go broke from suppressor purchases within a year. Don’t ask me how I know. BTW you probably know this but if you have any property in NH or someone in NH that can also be an founder/RP on the trust, it’s fine for a MA subject to a establish a trust in NH and acquire NFA items there. I never did this but the excellent NFA attorney Jeff Bussell gave me an overview on it.
Yeah it’s an awesome gun. Every person I meet at the range and let them shoot, they can’t get over the ergonomics and the trigger. Especially for such a inexpensive gun.

Whoa! I didn’t know that. My dad has had a skiing/hunting camp in ME for 40+ years. Hmmm very tempting😂

Taurus has free shipping on $49.99 orders for BF. I must have got the last non-threaded barrel as it's out of stock now. I figured I'd get a spare after having some leading issues with my current threaded barrel. Only $50.

15 and 16 round mags in stock for you free staters.
23C62FF5-2A80-4B76-8847-9C9A2D3F70FF.jpeg

Last edited:
TX 22 or MARK IV Lite?
Just a range plinker?
I’d vote for the TX22 but the customer service and quality (kinda) win goes to Ruger.
If you’re in a free state or don’t give a crap about mag restrictions, you can get +5 and even +9 mag extensions for the TX22 which is awesome.

There’s a ton of aftermarket parts for both guns. But out of the box the TX22 trigger is super nice for such a cheap gun. The Ruger might need some trigger work if you’re a trigger snob lol. The TX22 does not.

I don’t know what the Ruger sells for nowadays but I think you can get a TX22 for probably 350ish?

I will say the plastic sights on the TX22 suck but they work if you’re just plinking.

I’ve got a Ruger MKIII Hunter and it’s an awesome gun. Real accurate but heavy. Had to install some Volquartsen parts as the trigger wasn’t anything great. Obviously the MKIV Lite is “lighter”
The Taurus could really only use better sights and that’s it. I installed fully adjustable tandemkross sights on my TX22. Works great.

Taurus has free shipping on $49.99 orders for BF. I must have got the last non-threaded barrel as it's out of stock now. I figured I'd get a spare after having some leading issues with my current threaded barrel. Only $50.

15 and 16 round mags in stock for you free staters.
View attachment 545549
Finally had a chance to shoot the new barrel yesterday.
Put 300 rounds through, and it seems to shoot just fine. I did have to adjust the windage a bit but nothing else. D1FBDA8E-ACCB-4EE7-816A-9A08366BDCA8.jpeg

The more I look into the TX22 Competition, the more I “need” one. I was hoping to be able to get a red dot on my G44, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen anytime soon.
I want a Carry Optics type rimfire pistol and so far nothing really comes closer to filling that niche than the Taurus.

The more I look into the TX22 Competition, the more I “need” one. I was hoping to be able to get a red dot on my G44, but it doesn’t look like that’s going to happen anytime soon.
I want a Carry Optics type rimfire pistol and so far nothing really comes closer to filling that niche than the Taurus.
You definitely need one. If I were to get back into steel challenge, I’d without a doubt get the competition model. It’s ultra reliable and plenty accurate.

Gunbroker would be your cheapest option to buy a competition model. One auction just ended at $460 without any bids.

Gunbroker would be your cheapest option to buy a competition model. One auction just ended at $460 without any bids.
Thanks, finding them hasn’t been an issue. We shot a friends regular TX22 a couple of weeks ago and since then two of the 4 of us who shot it went and got the Competition version. I expect to put some rounds through them this weekend. But from watching YouTube videos the gun is a clear winner, even with just the 10 round mags.
I probably should just order a holster now since it always takes a while to get a lefty rig.

Thanks, finding them hasn’t been an issue. We shot a friends regular TX22 a couple of weeks ago and since then two of the 4 of us who shot it went and got the Competition version. I expect to put some rounds through them this weekend. But from watching YouTube videos the gun is a clear winner, even with just the 10 round mags.
I probably should just order a holster now since it always takes a while to get a lefty rig.
Gotcha. Ya I can't think of a better 22lr pistol at this price point. I cannot recommend this pistol enough to people which is unheard of when it's a Taurus[laugh]

Definitely helps to have the McFadden lightning loader

Wow thank god I only have a couple of these Federal 550 rd bricks. Though the other one is a newer brick I bought at Walmart.

Anyway, they keyholed like a MF. The poor accuracy was comical. No leading in the barrel either (new TX22 barrel too, didn’t try the old barrel).812C4785-61B4-4138-BAD2-43D0BF5CB1F2.jpeg1EB1E78B-6A91-48FF-B907-F47E5C7B94C8.jpeg4B7AE2FE-6A5E-4206-BCEF-02F2DD72C484.jpeg

Wow thank god I only have a couple of these Federal 550 rd bricks. Though the other one is a newer brick I bought at Walmart.

Anyway, they keyholed like a MF. The poor accuracy was comical. No leading in the barrel either (new TX22 barrel too, didn’t try the old barrel).

What's wrong with keyholing? It imparts more energy into your target...
:)

Ive always had better performance with 40 gr out of pistols. my guess is there’s something with that lighter projectiles the tx22 doesn’t like. The rifling on my tx22 also looks gnarly. I run the same ammo all the time (aguila 40 gr) and CCI std velocity 40 gr.

Back
Top Bottom