• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taurus revolvers?

Pilgrims Pride

NES Member
I'm looking for a reliable defensive (think stopping grizzlies) .44 magnum revolver to take on a remote Alaskan island vacation.
Ive been partial to the Ruger Super redhawk, redhawk or S&W 629.
But unless one of you are thinking of selling one, they're like unicorns these days.
I do see the Taurus in .44. But I don't remember Taurus having a good reputation.
Any thoughts?

If I was buying something specifically to stop a grizzly, it sure as shit wouldn't be a Taurus.

Personally, I would go with a Glock 20 and bear spray, especially the bear spray, but if it had to be a revolver in .44 Magnum, I would find either a Colt or a S&W. Everyone's got their own comfort level. Regardless of what you buy, make sure that you're 110% confident in that gun and your ability to use it.

Obligatory grizz attack video:

Carl at Four Seasons told me he won't sell them due to quality problems and the company not backing up defective units. Lots of options with new and used Smiths and Rugers

Can't help with the .44 mag, but I've owned a Model 66 Taurus in .357 magnum since the early 1990's that I have put many thousands of rounds through (many hundreds
of full house .357mag) without a hiccup or issue. So, look for an older one in great shape? It is well made and dependable. Just make sure you put it through its due diligence...

1649262249127.png
like this... ^

I'm looking for a reliable defensive (think stopping grizzlies) .44 magnum revolver to take on a remote Alaskan island vacation.
Ive been partial to the Ruger Super redhawk, redhawk or S&W 629.
But unless one of you are thinking of selling one, they're like unicorns these days.
I do see the Taurus in .44. But I don't remember Taurus having a good reputation.
Any thoughts?
Would you trust your life to a second-rate parachute because it is few dollars cheaper than a reputable one?

30+ years ago, at a gun show with my older sister, just divorced , wanted a handgun. She had her LTC, she's looking at a Taurus revolver, short money. I take it and try to cycles it a few times...keeps jamming up. The dealer was amazed...went 3 tables down and looked at a SW Lady Smith snub nose. I gave her the $100 more to buy it.

Don't buy a shit gun

I’ve owned three Taurus pistols and a Rossi which is owned by Taurus. Run. All four were literally not repairable and never ran.

So a 10mm is good enough to pop a bear with? Serious question

People have killed grizzlies with .22s.

Casper man pays $25K for accidentally killing grizzly bear

Attempting to scare off a grizzly bear with a gunshot turned out to be a costly mistake for a Casper man, as the round from his .22 caliber rifle wound up killing the animal.

In Park County Circuit Court in November, Brent Stalkup, 38, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of taking a grizzly without a license. Judge Bruce Waters ordered Stalkup to pay more than $25,000 and suspended his hunting, fishing and trapping privileges for a year.

In sentencing the hunter, Waters expressed shock that he felled the bear with a relatively small-caliber weapon.

“You shot a bear with a .22 and it died?” the judge asked at the Nov. 19 hearing, incredulously.

“Yes,” Stalkup confirmed.

“How could that … never mind,” Waters said.

“It does happen, your honor,” piped in Park County Prosecuting Attorney Bryan Skoric.

Now, obviously, no one's going to recommend using a .22 as a defensive handgun against bears. So, the question really is what's your comfort level. The longest you're going to have before a grizzly is on top of you is about five seconds. What can you draw, accurately shoot, and make hits with in less than five seconds?

The shitiest gun I ever shot was a friend’s Taurus copy of the 92FS. It was rattling apart. Didn’t finish a mag’s worth. BUT, I own a Taurus 357 magnum (don’t remember the model #) and it has many many rounds through it, several of which have been magnums. It’s been a great gun with a pretty decent trigger too. I also own a Taurus 44 magnum (I think it’s the model 44). I haven’t shot it a ton but it shoots great & I haven’t had any issues with it. Neither are as nice as my S&W revolvers but they haven’t been bad for me. However, if you’re going to trust your life in bear country to a revolver I’d buy the best one you possibly can.

Back
Top Bottom