Taurus Revolver or S & W

drew

NES Member
Im looking for a new .44, the Taurus Tracker I've been told is very good gun for the money, Ive also been told to spend a hell of alot more money and go with the S & W. Thoughts, Comments or letters to the editor would be greatly appreciated...

Watch the classifieds here sooner or later you will find a nice S&W 44 for decent money.

S&W revolvers new or used are the best revolvers you can buy. Their worth the wait and you can also post an ad in the, want to buy section.

They also retain better resale value.

Last edited:
From what a few people tell me, is that Taurus revolvers are under-rated. And that you should give them a chance. I guess I don't have to worry about that, their not MA compliant.... But I have always liked the S & W 629 Mountain version, I would like to buy JollyRogers off him... I just dont have that kind of cake right now, i'll have to wait a little while, 2-3 months or so... This sucks!!!!

For a few dollars more you can get S&W. S&W is compliant in MA and if you have an issue with the firearm Springfield, MA isn't too far of a haul.

I've been considering a little Taurus in lieu of a S&W J frame. I talked to my gunsmith about it. He tells me Taurus's QC is up and down - some guns run great, some have problems. You're never sure which you're going to get.
But they do have a lifetime warranty, and they are said to be good about taking care of the problem guns.

Regards
John

I have owned (past tense) a few Tauras pistols (both revo's and bottom feeders). I currently own a few S&W revolvers - wouldn't sell one.
I definitely feel you get what you pay for, and like other posters mentioned you will see them sold quite frequently on this site (see JollyRogers post in the classified).
As for Rugers (I own 4 of their revo's), they are built like tanks, will serve you well, but not the best qc. We have 2 single action vacqueros) and they came from the factory with 10 + lb triggers (yes single action only triggers - one was 14 lbs). They were fine once I put in a $15 spring kit, but why?

IMHO Rugers are definitely workhorses, don't break down. Smiths are more refined, but still haven't had a issue yet, and I have 10's of 1000's of rounds through mine. Tauras are for budget / entry.

+1 on the S&W revolvers. They are the best and they hold their resale value much better then Tauras.

S&W=BMW

Ruger= F-250

Taurus=Kia Sportage

From what a few people tell me, is that Taurus revolvers are under-rated. And that you should give them a chance. I guess I don't have to worry about that, their not MA compliant....

I don't have any direct experience with them. Some years back, Four Seasons carried Taurus for a while. Carl told me he stopped carrying them due to quality issues.

I'd go with a S&W instead. YMMV.

Thank you for all the Input, I am going to go with the S & W eventually, I think theres another Item I am going to purchase.

Dont pass by a Ruger. They make a fine firearm. The SP101 for example.

Just an FYI there is one person on this forum that has a WEALTH of knowledge regarding Smith and Wesson. Look for Depicts on the forum. He is by far my SW expert! Along with many others.

Dont pass by a Ruger. They make a fine firearm. The SP101 for example.

Just an FYI there is one person on this forum that has a WEALTH of knowledge regarding Smith and Wesson. Look for Depicts on the forum. He is by far my SW expert! Along with many others.

RoundGunShooter as well. We're very fortunate to have their expertise here.

I have a brand new M&P .45, I wanted the .44 for when I go hiking in the hills and mountains, any suggestions on a good carry piece for this ordeal... Like the looks of the S&W 629 Mountain gun... or should I just use the M&P?

I'll tell you why a Smith. While I was cleaning my SW1911 today, I turned the lug the wrong way and Shppingggggg ! The recoil spring and cap went-a-flyin'. Found the spring, but the spring plug is MIA. Called Smith and Wesson, told them what happened (seems I the first one to have this happen) and they're sending a replacement part out to me AT NO CHARGE. Nothin' like a Smith and Wesson. [smile]

Any color that doesnt know how to take go away for an answer!!! most likely be black...

See, I was thinking .45 acp would be good enough for almost all 2 legged, and most 4 legged, its the 4 legged, that go to 2 legged, with cubs around, that I worry about... And I wonder if I should go the extra boom of a .44 magnum. Or will the 20 - 30 rounds of .45 be sufficient?

I guess the answer is, it depends. For a smaller black, I think .45 ACP would be sufficient. But some blacks can get pretty big (females up to 400 lbs and males up to 600 lbs), and for the bigger ones .44 Mag would be better.

For a brown bear, all handguns are hopelessly underpowered, but I wouldn't go with anything less than a .44 Mag.

From all the nature shows Ive been watching, it seems like my first instinct was correct. I should just go with the .44 mag.... Now if I can just find one in the $500.00 - $550.00
price range, i'll be all set.

I think that Mountain Gun you're looking at in the classified would be the perfect gun. It is above your price range, but not by that much, and it's pre-lock. Pre-lock Mountain Guns don't grow on trees. I'd jump on it if I were you. And no, JollyRoger isn't give me a commission.

Back
Top Bottom