• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taurus PT11 Millenium G2 Review

So, I bought a Taurus pistol...and I'm not ashamed? Who knew?

For those of you who get the cursed email flyers, you know Palmetto State Armory occasionally runs some stupid-cheap sales that just...taunt you into buying. I'd been noticing for a while they've been advertising the Taurus PT111 Millennium Gen 2 (G2) lately for under $200 bucks. That seemed pretty cheap, so I did some research and the word on the street is that the PT111 G2 is a pretty good gun. Some good in-depth reviews in print and in video, from people I consider to be legit reviewers. Now, all those positive reviews get mixed in with 1) the fact that Taurus makes/has made some really horrible guns; 2) their rep for QC is a bit spotty; and 3) they've made/make some really, really horrible guns. I had the pleasure(?) of firing one of the PT111 Gen 1 guns for an entire day, and it was such a piece of shit. Badly designed, and yet poorly executed. Worst trigger I've ever seen or shot. A real clunker.

So I was skeptical when I read the reviews, but it's a small-frame, striker-fired 9mm, holding 12 rounds, and it's only $199...so what the hell. How bad could I get hurt?

$199.99 + $17 shipping + $20 tranfer = $236.99 into the safe.

16i8f38.jpg

Ordered Sunday, 28 Jun. Shipped from PSA Monday, 29 Jun. Arrived at my FFL Wednesday, 1 Jul, and I picked it up later that day on my way home from work. Kudos to PSA and my FFL: 72 hours from "click" to "mine."

1zr1737.jpg

Pretty standard stuff. Manual, warranty card, gun, and two magazines. (Nice touch with the two mags.) The second magazine comes in its own "magazine sock." WTH?

3094so7.jpg

The important stuff.

29zobad.jpg

2gufjwj.jpg

1zfpo1u.jpg

Overall, a pretty ordinary looking striker-fired, polymer-framed 9mm. Safety is small and unobtrusive, and can be ignored as I intend to do.

166k85y.jpg

Breaks down into "standard" pieces: frame, slide, barrel, captured recoil assembly. Breaks down using the now Glock-standard disassembly.

n4e64h.jpg

208tkph.jpg

3 dot sights. Fully adjustable rear (very low profile) and "Glock-like" front sight (screw in the bottom of the slide to remove the sight).

The gun feels surprisingly good in the hand. The texturing give a solid purchase without being abrasive. The grip is also very slim for a weapon holding 12 rounds in the mag.

1zgstjb.jpg

It is significantly shorter than the Glock 19.

14njnk9.jpg

The height is about the same, but it's noticeably narrower through the grip.

jkk29u.jpg

Grip size is evident here.

My normal day-to-day warm weather carry is a Kahr P9 I've had since a week before forever.

292tf1t.jpg

As you can see, they're pretty comparable in size.

2wp5yqq.jpg

Height is about the same. The P9 is a bit narrower, but not by much, considering the PT111 is a 12-round mag.

n65ank.jpg

Width from above.

But looks don't tell much of a story, so I headed to the range today for a check out. I brought the two factory magazines, along with a Mec-gar P228 9mm magazine. It turns out that Sig P226/P228 magazines fit and feed perfectly in the PT111. Thanks, Internet, for that fact.

The gun fits very well in the hand. The grip is narrow enough not to give the "clunky" feel of the baby Glocks. If I had to describe it, I'd say it was more like the M&P series, if that makes sense. The "beavertail" is deep enough to prevent any slide-bite, which my Glock 19 has a painful tendency to do.

I'm not a fan of 3-dot sights, but these worked fine, and shot POA/POI. I'll probably black-out the rear dots.

Although 150 rounds isn't a full check-out, the gun gobbled all 150 rounds with no hiccup. The P228 magazine extends out the bottom a bit, but would make a perfectly acceptable "second magazine," once the fun got going. The trigger has a long take-up to a "crisp" break with almost no stacking. I was dropping steel plates at 15 yards as fast as I could move the front sight and squeeze. If I had an input, I might not change the weight, but I'd move the trigger breakpoint forward; it's farther back in the triggerguard than, say, a Glock.

Overall, I have to say I'm impressed, and no small amount surprised by that fact. The fit and finish on the gun is far better than $199 would lead you to believe. For God's sake, that's Hi-Point territory. The gun fits my hand better than the baby Glocks, is smaller than a G19, and almost as small as my beloved P9, while carrying more ammo and an arguably better trigger. I have to wring it out a lot more, but I could actually see this gun becoming a regular carry gun. It's small, light (22 oz), it handles well, and it carries 12+1 in a compact package. There's a lot to like here.

In fact, the biggest hurdle to carrying this gun might be the part about having to explain to people that I'm carrying a Taurus...

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics and review. I myself was going to get one but figured do I need a half dozen subs? Not really but I did get to hold one and fit very well , almost like a sig 320.

Well, this just keeps getting better and better...

You'll notice the front sight on the G2 is "Glock-like," in that it's a tenon through the slide held in place by a screw from the bottom. Well, it turns out that the tenon size is very close to the size on the Glock, so with very little modification, sights meant for a Glock will fit the PT111 G2.

First, I ordered this sight to experiment on, because 1) it's cheap, and 2) I like HIVIZ fiber optic sights.

HIVIZ GL2014

GL2014.png

The tenon almost fit right out of the package, and with less than 5 minutes work with a needle file (hint: the width is perfect. Length is just a bit long), here's the end product:

2vl5t8o.jpg

148fxub.jpg

I also don't like dots/lines/underlines, etc. on my rear sight, so a little brake cleaner and a stiff brush got me this:

b6vgd3.jpg

For a sight picture now of this:

287gfgh.jpg

I ordered a new factory tritium front sight for a Glock, and I'll probably fit and stay with that, but the fiber optic is the shit for now.

Also, big shout out to Badger State Holsters, who make a great IWB kydex holster for the G2 that fits like a big ol' kydex glove, cost just $35 shipped, and arrived in just 4 days.

n4cbiv.jpg

15myagh.jpg

It's just a great time to be a 'Murican...

Nice review. Thx.

though i dont currently own any taurus products I have gotten the sense that their current production quality is quite good. Seems like most recent owners are happy...the scary stories are usually from 5+ years ago. Personally i would not hesitate to acquire a newer taurus at this point. Their slim 9mm model looks cool too.

Wow, nice honest review.

I get annoyed at how Taurus = crap on the internet, fueled I think by people who only shoot airsoft. I've been much luckier with Taurus than S&W, but crappy products from Smith are excused. Thanks again for the review.

Back
Top Bottom