• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taunton or Harvard?

This is largely being driven by the instructors. They are worried about prolonged exposure to lead. I don't blame them but they need to listen to their members and not shut us out.
I don't blame them either as it's a real concern. Maybe wear a full face respirator? I know a couple guys who wear them anytime they shoot indoors...

This is what they will be selling:
9 mm Luger- 100 gr. - GreenLine, 50 Rounds
$25.05 for a box of 50. No volume discounts that I am aware of. Not sold by Target Sports or any of the other big discounters.
BGRA is claiming that they will be buying the ammo in bulk, getting discounts that they will pass on to members. The folks pushing this also claim that other manufacturers will be getting into the lead-free ammo business and that will drive prices down. Pie in the sky and not when you die.
This is largely being driven by the instructors. They are worried about prolonged exposure to lead. I don't blame them but they need to listen to their members and not shut us out.

Wow. They even chose the more expensive of the two. Looks like the greenline is also lead-free in the primer as well. Even if they managed to cut the price in half buying bulk (highly unlikely), that would still be expensive considering I buy bulk copper ball for $10/per box.

Honestly, if this was just because they require more lead cleaning and more money for backstop maintenance, then I would have had no problem with them upping the annual membership fee. This move though is just unacceptable. I'll be looking for a new range for sure now.

Have they made any upgrades to the ventilation system? I used to shoot USPSA matches there years ago and the ventilation system was terrible. I had to wear my 3M mask with P100 filters.

Have they made any upgrades to the ventilation system? I used to shoot USPSA matches there years ago and the ventilation system was terrible. I had to wear my 3M mask with P100 filters.

I'm going to assume that's a "no" on that. If there are 2 or more people shooting at a decent rate, you can start seeing a faint cloud of smoke just lingering in the foreground after a couple mags.

Bold long shot, but here goes.

I’m hoping to pick up my freshly pinned and welded AR upper next Wednesday the 12th. This is my first AR and I would like to do a function check and put it through its paces, see if I can hit anything with it. My initial thinking was AFS in Attleboro, but they’re closed for cleaning.
The nice folks at G&N(Gartman Arms) are doing it for me, so I’ll be close to 495.

My proposition,
By chance, are any of you fine individuals, from any of the 3 aforementioned clubs(Harvard, Taunton, Hopkinton) around Wednesday for a tour/introduction to outdoor ranges and some shooting fun?
I can provide ammo(tell me what and I’ll bring plenty, provided it’s not too exotic) and or lunch somewhere of your choice as an offering.

If by chance my upper isn’t ready in a weeks time(dropped it off today) I’ll bring some .22’s and my pistol, regardless.

Thanks,
Dave

Unfortunately I have a dr. appt that day or I would be happy to take you up on that at Harvard. If by chance it's not ready, or you can't find anyplace that day and want to try another day let me know.

Unfortunately I have a dr. appt that day or I would be happy to take you up on that at Harvard. If by chance it's not ready, or you can't find anyplace that day and want to try another day let me know.

I appreciate that.
I know it’s a long shot, Wednesdays are an odd day to have off.

Damn that's expensive. Really sucks they're changing their restrictions.

Have you guys considered joining Mystic Valley? I shoot their USPSA matches over the winter and they got a great indoor range. Or is that too far?

I was just looking into Mystic Valley. Looks nice, but two issues: 1) Requires sponsorship--I don't know anyone there. 2) Only .22 or .17 rim fire rifles? Means my Sub2k in 9mm would collect dust.

Still inquiring there about membership though, as that's not too bad from Cambridge. I'd do either of the ones OP mentioned in a heart beat if I lived a little closer.

I was just looking into Mystic Valley. Looks nice, but two issues: 1) Requires sponsorship--I don't know anyone there. 2) Only .22 or .17 rim fire rifles? Means my Sub2k in 9mm would collect dust.
That stinks. They say
"Any pistol or revolver up to .500 S&W caliber may be fired." but can't shoot a 9mm rifle???

That stinks. They say
"Any pistol or revolver up to .500 S&W caliber may be fired." but can't shoot a 9mm rifle???

That confused me too. Seems like if you can shoot a .500 S&W, you should be able to shoot any pistol caliber carbine. I mean, .500 S&W is like 1.75x the velocity and 8x the energy of 9mm, so even if you get a hundred or so more FPS from a carbine, 9mm will still pale in comparison to the .500. Maybe it has to do with being a short indoor range?

They had another weird rule of not shooting closer than 21'. I don't do that often anyway, but some drills are off the table if that is enforced.

Have a potential tour pending for Wednesday.

I appreciate all of the responses this thread has generated.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom