• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tasers Legal in MA?

My girlfriend recently asked me if tasers are legal in MA, and I didn't know the answer -- so I turn to our very knowledgeable and informative forum for the answer. License needed? Can you have one sent to you from out of state? Etc.

Thanks, [grin]

You are correct!

Umm! Sorry Scriv, you are wrong on this one. [smile]

MGL Ch. 140 S. 131J makes it legal for municipal, federal and state police to use them IF AUTHORIZED and trained appropriately in their use . . . in accordance with 501 CMR 8.00ff.

For the OP, nobody else can possess them legally in MA.

Umm! Sorry Scriv, you are wrong on this one. [smile]

MGL Ch. 140 S. 131J makes it legal for municipal, federal and state police to use them IF AUTHORIZED and trained appropriately in their use . . . in accordance with 501 CMR 8.00ff.

For the OP, nobody else can possess them legally in MA.

Good catch. I misread the post as "excepting" instead of "including."

Mass. law is replete with exceptions for law enforcement and I leapt to the erroneous conclusion that the poster was referring to yet another one. [wink]

Good catch. I misread the post as "excepting" instead of "including."

Mass. law is replete with exceptions for law enforcement and I leapt to the erroneous conclusion that the poster was referring to yet another one. [wink]

Heh, I think I first looked it up after seeing some hilarious taser-plus-brass knuckles down in FL. Obviously they would be double-plus illegal in MA, but I did wonder about the taser part.

Back
Top Bottom