Tarnished brass on ammo

I'm relatively new to shooting, and definitely new to shooting in a drought, so I haven't given a thought to older ammo or tarnished brass.

Purchased some ammo from a guy a while back, didn't check all the boxes but it looks like there's tarnishing (or is that pitting? How would I tell the difference here. see pictures) on the brass itself. Slightly different feel on the fingernail than smooth brass. Doesn't look to be on the primer/bullet just the brass, though some do have it around the head/rim of the case.

Fine to shoot? Went through a couple boxes since it looks just surface level (no green) but wasn't sure if it was a bad call. Do I need to clean the cases up before I shoot the rest?

In before all the "I'll dispose of it for you" posts

Attachments

• top.jpg
    top.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 71
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 72
Choot em. I should have posted pics of some really old 44 magnum ammo I acquired. Looked much worse than that.

A dealer friend actually gave it to me as he wasn't comfortable selling it in his shop and knew I blow through 44 mag often.

Shot just fine.

Blazer brass seems to tarnish like that nothing to worry about unless there is physical pitting in the case. Don't know why they tarnish like that but if there just lightly changed in color shoot them then give the brass to me

I would immediately run out and get some Brasso and thoughly and impeccably clean each and every round to guarantee and ensure flawless operation.
You can never be too excessive and compulsive when it comes to firearms or ammo.
Then as they say in all those shampoo commercials. Wash, rinse and repeat.
After all your one and only life depends on it!

Then after your all done. I would individually check each and every round in your safe! [smile]

I know what I'm talking about, I'm an expert and do this every weekend!
Oooh, my precious![thumbsup]

I fired .22 rimfire ammo, including .22 magnum rounds, that were at least two decades old, maybe even more. All of it touched off just fine. Center fire ammo is even more reliable. Worry less and enjoy shooting!

Back
Top Bottom