targetsports

btnh6668

NES Member
I have been noticing its been taking them longer to restock the russian ammo. I am wondering if there is something to it or if its just inventory lapse on their end. 5.45 has almost been non existent. 7.62x54r has also been hit or miss most of the year. To be fair though it seems as though they restock 7.62x39 fairly quickly so it may just be their ordering. Makes me wonder if i should be more aggressive in stock pilling 54r and 5.45.

Go for it.
I know most Wal-Marts stock the Tula or Wolf 7.62x54R for about $12 a box, but I don't think you have many options with 5.45x39mm.
With all the wars going on worldwide, I'd imagine there is plenty of non-US demand for 54R, even 7.62x39mm.
Many manufacturers offer 7.62x39mm, but most Mosin shooters won't pay premium prices for boxer-primed brass 54R ammo, so you have to cope with limited supply with surplus or steel-cased new issue ammo. How many of you guys pay extra for boxer-primed brass-cased 7.62x39mm? Not many, I suspect.
If you anticipate shortages of these calibers, buy them when you can.

Attachments

• 7.62x54R(5).jpg
    7.62x54R(5).jpg
    31 KB · Views: 24
The last bulk order from target sports which was a month ago i paid about 8.90 per box of tula 54r. Walmart is $12. Of course the cheapo in me is hesitant to pay $3 more. I will have to keep a closer eye out and use walmart as a last resort.

As others have said before, some manufacturers do cyclical production runs on some calibers.So, you may find it scarce during long periods of time.
The days of 20¢ surplus are gone, so I'd say $8.90 for 20 rounds, factory fresh, is pretty decent.

If you like to shoot any particular ammo you need to stock it deep.
My dad taught us to do it this way. It really has nothing to do with the price but always having enough even when things are tough.
Lets say you shoot 1500 rounds of 54r a year.
You should have at least 3000 on the shelf.
Now when you plan n going to the range and shoot 100 rounds you should be buying 200 rounds just before you go.
Then you place those on the back of the shelf. After a while you will always have 2 years or more worth of ammo to shoot.
When you replace with double it also allows a few extra range trips.
We did this as kids with 22lr
Brother and 1 could easily shoot 10k rounds a summer. 20k was not unheard of so my dad always had 50k rounds of 22 kicking around. Would buy it in NH at the gun shows and could fund it cheap. Lots of russian ammo back then .
Same with any ammo you see for a good price if you have the xtra $ snagging a box or 2 of ammo thats deep discounted can be a good investment or lead to a reason to buy a new rifle

I never bought into the 5.45x39 platform. I saw its future... [smile]
Well, not really.

Well, I thought 2500 rds per caliber was a decent stock. Guess I'll have to stock up on 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and x54r while I still can.

If you like to shoot any particular ammo you need to stock it deep.
Lets say you shoot 1500 rounds of 54r a year.
You should have at least 3000 on the shelf.

When you replace with double it also allows a few extra range trips.
We did this as kids with 22lr
Brother and 1 could easily shoot 10k rounds a summer. 20k was not unheard of so my dad always had 50k rounds of 22 kicking around.

Hahahahaha He had a CACHE OF MANY THOUSANDS OF BULLETS !!!

The above approach - keep building it up gradually - is the least painful. Bulk buys are great, but only really save a lot when deeply discounted.
Of course, the more pricy stuff, you really should reload. If I had to buy commercial ammo, my .300 WBY would be a safe queen
Sorry for going off topic. I would load up on the 54R

indeed. Thats why i am always on the look out for anyone i know who is close by who wants to go halfs on a case.

Well, I thought 2500 rds per caliber was a decent stock. Guess I'll have to stock up on 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and x54r while I still can.
Depends on how much you shoot really and when you replace it. When time and money seemed to be very plentiful dad,brother and I could piss through 2500 rounds before lunch... As for some rifles. My dad had a lever action 35 rem. He bought a box one year at Kmart. It shot so well he went back and bought all they had of the same lot# . Many years later when I inherited what was left of dads stuff the gun was long gone but i had 350 rounds of 35 rem to play with....my dad maybe shot 10 rounds a year from that 366.

I have been noticing its been taking them longer to restock the russian ammo. I am wondering if there is something to it or if its just inventory lapse on their end. 5.45 has almost been non existent. 7.62x54r has also been hit or miss most of the year. To be fair though it seems as though they restock 7.62x39 fairly quickly so it may just be their ordering. Makes me wonder if i should be more aggressive in stock pilling 54r and 5.45.
Surplus x54R has been nonexistent for 3+ years at this point unless you're looking for new noncorrosive brass cased x54R which ain't cheap. I only know of one vendor that has a bunch of surplus x54R in stock - problem is that they want 44 cents per round shipped, for it. They also have a bunch of steel cased noncorrosive ammo at 49 cents per round. Doesn't seem worth it to save 5 cents and worry about cleaning your rifle ASAP.

7.62x39 seems to be plentiful and priced to sell lately. TSUSA still has some Wolf and Tula in stock.

If interested, there's a huge TSUSA thread here:
Target Sports Delivering Again

I wanted a 5.45 for a long time, but I only know of one physical store that stocks it near me, and TSUSA has been out, like you said.
If I were to get another AK, it would be in 5.56 since I know it's not going anywhere.

I had such bad accuracy with Tulammo 54R I don't bother with it. I just get PPU brass cased and reload it cheaper than you can find surplus or steel. I still see surplus around from time to time at about 50-60 cents each; I can reload it much cheaper than that and it's not corrosive.

My milsurps each get shot about once every 4-6 weeks rotating; so I don't load hundreds and hundreds of rounds of "esoteric" calibers all at once. For me it's easy to buy 3-5 boxes of brass cased factory (almost exclusively PPU), shoot it, and recycle the cases until they're toast. Lasts me a long time.

I believe PPU does one big shipment as year, as others have said...so stock up when you see it and wait it out until they dump another shipment.

7.62x39 seems to be plentiful and priced to sell lately.

Thank the Lord. I shoot more x39 than anything else. 30-06 and 5.56 are probably about tied in a somewhat distant second.
I'm trying to grab about 100 rds a week at the current 20 cents/rd prices. Shipment of Wolf 223, 7.62x39 and 9mm should be here tomorrow :D.

I have to admit the joy of going to the basement and having multiple 50cal cans full of 7.62x39 stacked on each other yields almost as much joy as actually shooting it.

Back
Top Bottom