• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Stands?

I'm looking for a few metal target stands (USPSA/IDPA style, where I provide wooden uprights). I've found a few on Brownells for 40$, which doesn't seem unreasonable, but am curious what everyone else is using or if there are any preferred manufacturers.

So, what are you using to hold up your targets? Do you like them?

The folding metal ones are nice if you transport them a lot, but require stakes for days with any wind.

Honestly it's hard to beat some 2x6s in an H pattern screwed together. Go 30"x30" on the length x width. Plenty of weight and stability for light breazy days. Bulkier to transport though. If they're for home use 2x8s.

If you have the room to transport them, wooden stands are cheap and easy to use. I can make one out of an 8 foot 2x4 and a little strapping for less than $5.

The folding metal ones are nice if you transport them a lot, but require stakes for days with any wind.

Honestly it's hard to beat some 2x6s in an H pattern screwed together. Go 30"x30" on the length x width. Plenty of weight and stability for light breazy days. Bulkier to transport though. If they're for home use 2x8s.

If you have the room to transport them, wooden stands are cheap and easy to use. I can make one out of an 8 foot 2x4 and a little strapping for less than $5.

I have one I made from 2x4 - I noticed that it did tip over last week when we had some wind. 2x6s are more expensive, but I may grab a couple next time I'm at the lumberyard to make a couple more stands.

BTW, I have found that corrugated plastic makes a great backer. I lucked into a stack of cut up sheets just the right size at a yard sale early this summer. The Appleseed crew in MA uses corrugated plastic for backers; it takes quite a beating.

The yellow sheet on the stand is what I'm referring to. The Pigeon Hold target holder is also made out of corrugated plastic.

IMG_20150807_193229725_zps4tc8zkdh.jpg

Not exactly what you have in mind, but grab the political signs after the elections and use them, since the politicians never seem to clean up after themselves. They are not super heavy duty, but they are very portable and simple to use.

Vinyl tubing can work, too. Portable and can get you off the ground a bit further. Broken sections can be replaced easily enough. To save on elbows and tubing, just drive two steel stakes into the ground and inset the tube ends over the steel stakes. You can simply make three sides of a rectangle and attach backing to the frame, etc.

Last edited:
Not exactly what you have in mind, but grab the political signs after the elections and use them, since the politicians never seem to clean up after themselves. They are not super heavy duty, but they are very portable and simple to use.

Vinyl tubing can work, too. Portable and can get you off the ground a bit further. Broken sections can be replaced easily enough. To save on elbows and tubing, just drive two steel stakes into the ground and inset the tube ends over the steel stakes. You can simply make three sides of a rectangle and attach backing to the frame, etc.

I started out making my stands out of PVC. Way too expensive and not very durable. Good old wood proved to be much more durable and a lot cheaper.

I have one I made from 2x4 - I noticed that it did tip over last week when we had some wind. 2x6s are more expensive, but I may grab a couple next time I'm at the lumberyard to make a couple more stands.

BTW, I have found that corrugated plastic makes a great backer. I lucked into a stack of cut up sheets just the right size at a yard sale early this summer. The Appleseed crew in MA uses corrugated plastic for backers; it takes quite a beating.

The yellow sheet on the stand is what I'm referring to. The Pigeon Hold target holder is also made out of corrugated plastic.

IMG_20150807_193229725_zps4tc8zkdh.jpg

I think that 2x6s will make the stand a little too heavy and hard to handle. I have been using my 2x4 stand for over 20 years with no problems. To stabilize the stand in a wind, lust add a little weight to one of the legs. Most ranges have the proper material; old tire, wood, or even a rock. An added advantage is that these stands can be modified to support steel plates with a little extra effort.

I have been able to find plenty of scrap wood for target stands.
The basic H style base works good. If you get fancy you can build the base to be more portable.
If you find wind to be a problem I put 2 1" pipe hangers on opposite corners then drive long steel tent spikes.

I built a stand for the trap range for pattern testing. Used 2x6 PT scraps from deck project. I put a "roller" on the bottom to fit the wide painters paper roll and you just pull up a new "target"
The backer board was replaced with anything found free. From cardboard to plywood. That stand lasted 10 years, only to be put to death by the tractor! Ooops

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom