Target Stand Recommendations

I make my own out of 2X4's. Very solid, easily repairable, can set up in all kinds of weather, and are modular. These are pic's of the first ones I made. I now drill the hole for the bolt at an angle so the plate is angled downward. I also don't tighten the plates tight to the bolt, so it sways backward a little when hit.

I am not 100% sure, but those stands you mentioned are for 1X2 furring strips. Great for paper, but a good steel plate will break them pretty fast. Oopps my bad, I see they offer them in a 2x4 model for $80. If you go that route, get the 2X4 model.

Two 27" side -Two 15" middle and Two 5"- plus 48" standup with bolt angled 15 degrees down.
Steel stand - two 2x4's @ 2.56 per stand
Steel stand -One bolt 1/2" x 4 1/2 $1.08, three nuts .60, four washers .80, six 3" decking screws
Notes: For the 48" standup post, I took a palm sander and kind of sanded it down so it goes into the middle hole section easier and removal is easier also. I also carry with me two 3/4" wrenches (one open end), plus a small scrap 2X4 piece and a rubber mallet in case I have to push out the upright part from the bottom. Sometimes on a cold snowy day, it just helps.

Jay

IMAG2661_zpsoknszb9a.jpg

IMAG2655_zpsfztc0het.jpg

IMAG2659_zps4taitbub.jpg

Last edited:
This is how I roll :

2dlvl95.jpg

For steel plates just make the "A" frame supports a bit higher. Super easy to make -- Furring strips, hinges, plywood and a piece of plank-stock -- done.

This is how I roll :

For steel plates just make the "A" frame supports a bit higher. Super easy to make -- Furring strips, hinges, plywood and a piece of plank-stock -- done.

That range is a disgusting mess. I would be embarrassed to be a member at that club

I have one of these and HIGHLY recommend it.

http://www.xsteeltargets.com/Black-Widow-Gong-Stand-p/bws14.htm

I built a stand out of pipes previously. Worked well enough but it gets shot up eventually, and you really need to hit any bullet holes with an angle grinder.

The above is MUCH better. Just a single 2x4 to hold it up so there isn't much to hit and, even if you do, it's super cheap to replace.

http://dedtargetsystems.com/ Is the only target gear we use at the range. He's right in Ludlow, MA. Dave is an awesome dude, a patriot, and a gold star father. He stands behind his stuff 100%. He also has a new line-up that he is about to release that is more budget friendly. Send him an email or give him a call and he will get you set up.

I Have used about every kind of home-built, last minute, good enough rigs over the years...Treat yourself to what shooting should be like and get some real stands ;)

http://dedtargetsystems.com/ Is the only target gear we use at the range. He's right in Ludlow, MA. Dave is an awesome dude, a patriot, and a gold star father. He stands behind his stuff 100%. He also has a new line-up that he is about to release that is more budget friendly. Send him an email or give him a call and he will get you set up.

I Have used about every kind of home-built, last minute, good enough rigs over the years...Treat yourself to what shooting should be like and get some real stands ;)
this

- - - Updated - - -

I use a couple of his fold-up stands and highly recommend them. They're compact when folded (meaning I can easily haul several in my small car), well-made, and with enough weight that staking is seldom required.
this

My range has a couple posts with a rope strung between the posts to hang cardboard with targets pinned on them...I have some small square steel plates that I want to use for targets...I am thinking of using some light chain from a swing set or something smaller...I just have to thing of something I can clamp from the chain onto the rope so I can fasten it anywhere along the rope without it sliding to the middle of the rope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like this setup you have. And must be nice shooting steel like that with a nice green lawn, good shade, and an overhang. Sweet setup. [wink] I'm jealous.

Jay

Lol, once I put this together I took the pics to send to a few friends hoping they would want to take me someplace to shoot them.

I made my own, cheap and portable.
a3b621a9cb0213336537d3868aba5f47.jpg

I made the same setup, except with a mod. From the top beam, i went up each side about 20" with a 2x4, then another across the top of those. Thats where i place my paper targets. Usually add a piece of cardboard to attach them. Allows both steel and paper at the same time. I also use hooks screwed into the beam for the chain so i can detach easily. They stay on during shooting

Back
Top Bottom