Target Sports USA prices up

Was looking for a newbie I took shooting this morning with his new Shield-9
As of today: $8.99 plus tax = $9.55 per 50-round box, or 19 cents /round.

Also, inventory availability is very spotty for 9mm. Was looking for bulk Geco. Only had Red Zone self-defense and frang...

F'in Walmart. With them out of the ammo business, prices have gone UP.

Four seasons was just selling a case of S&B 115gr or 124gr for $170. It has nothing to do with walmart, prices on everything are up.

I noticed all the cheaper 9mm offerings have all disappeared. I wonder if a little virus stockpiling is going on.

The 9mm prices have gone up and availability has gone down. This coincides with the Wally World exit.

Brass cased 9mm could be had for $8-8.50 a box. Now it's all at least$9 and goes out of stock within the day. Just a couple of days ago I ordered a case of blazer. I then got a notification that fiocchi was in stock. I just looked now and both are out of stock, and when they were in stock, were 50 cents more a box than before. Judging by the fact what they do have, Speer, is going for $9.49 a box, I imagine they'll be up another 50 cents next time too.

I noticed all the cheaper 9mm offerings have all disappeared. I wonder if a little virus stockpiling is going on.
It comes and goes though. The $8.50-$9 boxes of 9mm will come back in stock. You just have to act quick it seems.
S&B still $8.49 but OOS.

Last edited:
9mm is in short supply from all the distributors and manufacturers , I tried to order 20k rounds on Friday and keep getting the “it’s getting difficult to get and keep in stock and prices are rising” from all my vendors

5.56 and 45 prices are also ticking up with 5.56 starting to become short in supply also

9mm is in short supply from all the distributors and manufacturers , I tried to order 20k rounds on Friday and keep getting the “it’s getting difficult to get and keep in stock and prices are rising” from all my vendors

5.56 and 45 prices are also ticking up with 5.56 starting to become short in supply also
Between the election and coronavirus, I'm sure that's driving the demand. Hopefully people are stacking it deep.

Walmart being out likely not helping either, if nobody stepped up that’s an awful lot of supply dropping out of the market....

Walmart being out likely not helping either, if nobody stepped up that’s an awful lot of supply dropping out of the market....

I talking on the manufacturing and distribution level , I’m trying to stock my store and 9mm ammo is being allocated to salesmen because of the shortage , I had to order from 4 distributors today what I normally order from one

people who own ranges are taking a big hit right now because they can’t get supply

I talking on the manufacturing and distribution level , I’m trying to stock my store and 9mm ammo is being allocated to salesmen because of the shortage , I had to order from 4 distributors today what I normally order from one

people who own ranges are taking a big hit right now because they can’t get supply
Walmart being out affects that greatly, the bigs practically had docks for Walmart trucks only. If the manufacturers cut production too much because no walmart, it puts pressure on the whole market. It's also an easy # to get wrong, too.

everyone craps on .40S&W but with 9mm demand now significantly higher, it's worth having a G22, P229 or whatever one likes in .40/357 sig. I've come across cases of brass 180gr .40S&W for $200 which puts it barely above 9mm costs. yes i prefer 9mm or 45acp but as someone who is mostly a rifle nerd all the handgun calibers are more similar than most will admit.

everyone craps on .40S&W but with 9mm demand now significantly higher, it's worth having a G22, P229 or whatever one likes in .40/357 sig. I've come across cases of brass 180gr .40S&W for $200 which puts it barely above 9mm costs. yes i prefer 9mm or 45acp but as someone who is mostly a rifle nerd all the handgun calibers are more similar than most will admit.
Not when you could have laid in 2 or 3 extra cases of 9mm for the price of the gun. And we had literally years to do it, too. For a new shooter in a crunch? If they find a 40 they like, sure, let er rip... its better than not being able to practice if things get tight... with shit ramping up it might not be the worst idea for some, we may be on the verge of another political panic...

Not when you could have laid in 2 or 3 extra cases of 9mm for the price of the gun. And we had literally years to do it, too. For a new shooter in a crunch? If they find a 40 they like, sure, let er rip... its better than not being able to practice if things get tight... with shit ramping up it might not be the worst idea for some, we may be on the verge of another political panic...

well nowadays a used G22 or any sig TDA in .40 are absurdly cheap
demand for them is so low that four seasons is hesitant to even take .40 pistols for consignment
my hope is that some LE agencies stick with .40 to keep ammo at least available
the barrel swap to 357 sig really does make the chambering pretty cool in my book
the 180gr .40 loads shoot quite nice. subsonic. feels close to a 45 acp. it's the hot-rod 165 gr 40 loads that i find miserable to shoot.
and of course 357 sig i could shoot all day long. i still periodically carry my P229 in 357 sig especially since pre-94 mags are available and the pistol is stupid reliable

i think you and i have said this before, but the pistols that were designed for 40 (eg P229, USP) are wonderful shooters. it's the G23/27, shield 40's, etc...the pistols that were clearly up-chambered for .40 that suck to shoot. i am still kicking myself for selling my full size USP 40. that was a tremendous pistol.

I find the G31 shoots great too. recently acquired a G31 gen 4 and have been very pleased with it. through the chrono it's impressive what the 357 sig can achieve. the underwood 125 gr loads come close to 1500 ft/s out of the 4.5" barrel. i just wish 357 sig ammo were cheaper because it definitely limits my ability to practice with it.

Last edited:
if you buy a gun in 40, not only can you do the 357sig barrel swap but you can also get a 9mm barrel for it and it will typically work fine. I have a W German Sig 229 in 40 that I got a 9mm conversion barrel for and it shoots great. Even the 40 mags work fine for 9 and hold 2-3 more rounds. Then I found a 357sig barrel brand new on ebay for stupid cheap money and got that too so it now is 3 calibers with the same mags. Hard to beat that!

if you buy a gun in 40, not only can you do the 357sig barrel swap but you can also get a 9mm barrel for it and it will typically work fine. I have a W German Sig 229 in 40 that I got a 9mm conversion barrel for and it shoots great. Even the 40 mags work fine for 9 and hold 2-3 more rounds. Then I found a 357sig barrel brand new on ebay for stupid cheap money and got that too so it now is 3 calibers with the same mags. Hard to beat that!

this has been discussed at length
by sharing the 10mm parent case, 40 and 357 sig only differ in the chamber dimensions. everything else in the pistol identical.

running a 9mm in a 10mm bore pistol (ie .40) may function but the breech, extractor, ejector, recoil spring rate and mags are unquestionably out of spec
the extractor will catch less of the rim
the ejector will strike farther to the left
the case head will have more wiggle room on the breech
and so forth

my G23 9mm conversion barrel has run fine but i would never use such setup for defensive purposes
i put this in the category of illegitimate conversions, as opposed to 10mm based cartridges which are truly interchangeable

9mm conversion barrel? WHA? *shudder*

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB3lYTze3kY

I'd rather shoot .40 than one of those things. I just can't, get.... past, the inherent wrongness. And the fact that the only reason it exists is because skinflints. It's a device where the only
goal is flinting.

Even thinking about it reminds me of like, that rotting stench of american cheese. Or accidentally biting into an expired peanut butter & cracker sandwich. If you have ever done that, you will never forget the horrible taste. It will permeate your soul.

This character quite obviously owns a 9mm conversion barrel:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5SFLFHLpeo

or this dude with the jug

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl0fLs414R4

If I ever got one of those barrels in a trade I would throw it into the trash. Actually I would Karma it here and only ask that someone donate whatever they thought it was worth to them as an
in kind donation to Comm2a, with the provisio that I never see it again, and that it'll either get re-karma'd and not resold with their gun ever. [rofl]

Saw a Youtube video of Jerry Miculek shooting an SKS the other day. He said 7.62x39 used to be around 4 cents per round! Crazy!

I remember buying a case of 1000 rounds of Golden Tiger at FS for $76. It was literally cheaper than 9mm at the time, which ran about $120/1000, or less.

-Mike

this has been discussed at length
by sharing the 10mm parent case, 40 and 357 sig only differ in the chamber dimensions. everything else in the pistol identical.

running a 9mm in a 10mm bore pistol (ie .40) may function but the breech, extractor, ejector, recoil spring rate and mags are unquestionably out of spec
the extractor will catch less of the rim
the ejector will strike farther to the left
the case head will have more wiggle room on the breech
and so forth

The breech is not a problem since its integral to the barrel. The barrel is designed specifically to drop in to the 40 cal model and convert it to 9mm. The mags could be questionable but they've functioned absolutely flawlessly so far with various loads (115/124/147gr) and no extraction or ejection issues. I think you're worried about a bunch of things that aren't issues at least in a Sig. Maybe in a glock?

Anyone know the difference between the GECO 115g FMJ in the WHITE box vs. the same round in a RED box?
TSUSA has them both, but the Red box is 2 bucks more and not sure why...?
Thanks,
~Matt

Anyone know the difference between the GECO 115g FMJ in the WHITE box vs. the same round in a RED box?
TSUSA has them both, but the Red box is 2 bucks more and not sure why...?
Thanks,
~Matt
If i recall correctly one was "blemished" basically casings that didn't have the same shine or small scratches and what not.

I reload too, so I’m stocking up on powders, primers and projectiles while buying up rounds too. Even if SHTF, at least I’d be able to reload, though like purchased rounds, I don’t know if one can ever have enough supplies.

Ordered up some blazer 9, 357 and some .308 last night. Nice weather is coming. I always plan on supply issues when shooting season ramps up. Being an election year and chinese plagues happening doesn’t help matters.

Back
Top Bottom