• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

"Service" how? Can you get us any sites/nights?

I "service" the dumpsters at the campgrounds. Bourne Scenic 3x a week, Scusset Beach 2x a week, Bayview Campgrounds 2x a week, Maple Park 1x a week, Shawme Crowell 1x a week. Believe me, some of these places could go every day and still be overflowing.

I have this to look forwards to tomorrow (30 dumpsters like this)
bourne scenic.jpg

Can't believe I paid ~.26/rnd for 9mm but managed to get a case of Speer Lawman 124gr this morning for 257.xx, it was before 7am and went from 99+ to 12 from the time I added to my cart til right after I checked out (being already logged in with my billing info saved) looks like everything now is back at ~.31/rnd with prime

Can't believe I paid ~.26/rnd for 9mm but managed to get a case of Speer Lawman 124gr this morning for 257.xx, it was before 7am and went from 99+ to 12 from the time I added to my cart til right after I checked out (being already logged in with my billing info saved) looks like everything now is back at ~.31/rnd with prime
Better than the blazer brass that went for $360 per case and sold out in less than 5min

Ran a search for 223 last night on ammo seek. Cheapest was $0.43/round. (Aside from one entry of frangible) Unreal...

I looked at my past orders... May 2019 Speer 147gr $182 for 1k, today $312 with Prime for the same damn thing! Ouch!
I'm lucky enough to have a good stockpile on hand to pass on that "deal."

Unfortunately, with IDPA/USPSA starting, I better not miss any targets, and no make up shots!! LOL
The real bummer of it is, I have a new younger shooter who has the shooting games bug, good thing he just picked up a summer job, ammo cost will put a heavy dent in his paycheck!!

Holy Sh!t- was 99+ on hand, 5 minutes later OOS!

Last week I scrolled through my orders history at TS and every single thing I had ordered going back to Jan 2018 was out of stock, except for Fed HST 9mm which I would only buy once a month for 50% off.

Meh...my Prime Ammo account never rolled over due to me never updating my CC info .... so that sucks. I was left with buying more XM193 off ARFCOM...no 300 SUBS to be seen since TSUSAs restock of S&B 200 back 3 weeks ago.

Well they got me for prime. It sucks I'm doing it so late in the year but a few more orders and I'll make my money back. Heads up federal Hydra shok 45acp 165gr is $5 off per box rebate

Saw Federal 9mm in stock this morning for $0.29/rnd and in the time it took me to "lol" it sold out.

So much for my idea of getting into IDPA / USPSA this year.

Saw Federal 9mm in stock this morning for $0.29/rnd and in the time it took me to "lol" it sold out.

So much for my idea of getting into IDPA / USPSA this year.

Not that it matters much anyways because its like half the matches are either cancelled or f***ed up cause of rona.

Honestly this is just going to drive me back to reloading 9mm. I regret having ever stopped, frankly. It was a goldmine, contrary to popular belief.

I looked at my past orders... May 2019 Speer 147gr $182 for 1k, today $312 with Prime for the same damn thing! Ouch!
I'm lucky enough to have a good stockpile on hand to pass on that "deal."

Unfortunately, with IDPA/USPSA starting, I better not miss any targets, and no make up shots!! LOL
The real bummer of it is, I have a new younger shooter who has the shooting games bug, good thing he just picked up a summer job, ammo cost will put a heavy dent in his paycheck!!

Holy Sh!t- was 99+ on hand, 5 minutes later OOS!

I paid about .18 for it not that long ago (2 months maybe)?

I honestly have hemed and hawed about spending that much but I only have about 1500rnds of 9mm and if this gets even crazier as time goes on I’ll be happy to have the extra 1000 rounds at a premium than at wherever it goes up to, if it goes down to normal I’ll buy another case to make my average go down to around .22 and learn my lesson on not stacking it deep

Almost made the mistake with some minimag, paid .0643 for it a month ago, 2 weeks ago it was just over .07, I grabbed a few more boxes, a few days ago it was just shy of .08 with prime, but I have enough to last a few years there now

Not that it matters much anyways because its like half the matches are either cancelled or f***ed up cause of rona.

Honestly this is just going to drive me back to reloading 9mm. I regret having ever stopped, frankly. It was a goldmine, contrary to popular belief.
How much does a reload cost (give or take)?

How much would it be for a quality reload setup?

Part of the calculus on this depends on when/where you bought your primers/powder/projectiles. If you buy during shortages you likely pay substantially more.

Give or take I figure a 9mm is around 10-12 cents to reload. That's a spitball estimate.

A good progressive reloading rig with all the many accessories will run you $1000 or so. Every time you think you have everything you need, well, there's something else. The first time you break a decapping pin you'll run out and buy a pack of five or ten. Then you'll want to get go/no go gauges for each caliber. Then you'll want the gizmo that gets all the primers facing the same direction to make loading the primer tube easier. And don't forget an accurate scale and digital caliper. It truly never ends...

That's just for the equipment. Then you need powder, primers and projectiles. You need equipment to clean the brass. If you're doing rifle reloads the case prep process is even longer and more detailed. Clean'em, lube'em, resize'em and then clean'em agin.

But... it's cathartic. I find it relaxing. You can experiment and ladder loads to see what works best for a given firearm. You can make ammo on demand when there's none available, like now. You can customize loads for different shooters. I like my 9mm loads hot but my daughter likes wimpy loads. Actually I like all my loads hot... you should see my .44 mags! :)

It's a hobby. It's a bit of a science experiment too.

You'll either love it or hate it.

:)

Part of the calculus on this depends on when/where you bought your primers/powder/projectiles. If you buy during shortages you likely pay substantially more.

Give or take I figure a 9mm is around 10-12 cents to reload. That's a spitball estimate.

A good progressive reloading rig with all the many accessories will run you $1000 or so. Every time you think you have everything you need, well, there's something else. The first time you break a decapping pin you'll run out and buy a pack of five or ten. Then you'll want to get go/no go gauges for each caliber. Then you'll want the gizmo that gets all the primers facing the same direction to make loading the primer tube easier. And don't forget an accurate scale and digital caliper. It truly never ends...

That's just for the equipment. Then you need powder, primers and projectiles. You need equipment to clean the brass. If you're doing rifle reloads the case prep process is even longer and more detailed. Clean'em, lube'em, resize'em and then clean'em agin.

But... it's cathartic. I find it relaxing. You can experiment and ladder loads to see what works best for a given firearm. You can make ammo on demand when there's none available, like now. You can customize loads for different shooters. I like my 9mm loads hot but my daughter likes wimpy loads. Actually I like all my loads hot... you should see my .44 mags! :)

It's a hobby. It's a bit of a science experiment too.

You'll either love it or hate it.

:)
So assuming setup cost of $1k, and a cost of $0.29/rnd for factory and $0.12/rnd for reload, the break even is 5800 rounds, or about 480 a month. I don’t know if I’m quite there yet in terms of volume.

Imo, you have to have an interest in it to begin with and just think its something fun to do. If it's all about numbers then prob best to just buy factory ammo in bulk when the price is right. Especially something like 9mm. I get no joy out of loading it at this point, I just want to bang out as much as possible to add to the pile. I was buying factory for a while even though it was probably a penny or 3 above the cost to load.

Got my Prime "thanks for all your orders" box. Ammo can, some stickers, a mag pouch and a box of .40S&W. I don't shoot .40 but ordered some for a friend a couple weeks back. Looks like they get a bonus!

well-they-cant-all-be-winners-now-can-they.jpg

Got my Prime "thanks for all your orders" box. Ammo can, some stickers, a mag pouch and a box of .40S&W. I don't shoot .40 but ordered some for a friend a couple weeks back. Looks like they get a bonus!

well-they-cant-all-be-winners-now-can-they.jpg
No ammo in stock so I haven’t been able to order anything in awhile, I feel like I’m going to get coal!

Damn Prime membership is gunna pay for itself in shipping. Grabbed another 1000 rds. of Aguila SuperUltra Duper Extra for .046/rd. and saved $11 in shipping. Something tells me I’m going to be shooting a lot more .22 in the coming months. *gulp*

Also, back on topic. Order placed Friday morning will be here tomorrow. Order placed Thursday afternoon is waiting on a tracking number. Go figure.

What RichC said... but here's what I had on the brain.

Figure about a grand to get started, although you can probably do it for half that if you skinflint. I haven't re-run the numbers lately but basically even with the premium components it was pretty much "buy two 1000rd cases of ammo get the third free" but you can do better than that depending on your component selection and so on. The best part is you can tailor the loads to your needs and desires. The next best part is that it's much easier to stockpile shitloads of materials than it is the stockpile shitloads of ammo because of the cost of the commercial ammo versus reloading materials. For example if I had still been reloading I probably would have had like 12+ thousand rounds worth of materials around at the start of Rona BS instead of only having like about 7000 rounds of 9mm around. It makes weathering shortages easier.

The other fun thing is it completely changes the dynamic of how you shoot and practice. When I reloaded 9 mm there was nearly zero consideration to how much I was expending. I would bring a tub of like 400+ rounds for the range and probably still leave with some, not even thinking about long-term impact because I knew I had like 4-8000 rds worth of materials on tap. I basically made batches of like four to six hundred rounds at a time. Best part was i developed a 124gn load that ran all my guns well, median was 1100ish fps out of a P228. It even worked well in PCCs and MassMark's UZI. Not to mention, probably cleaner than 50% of the factory stuff out there, too.. my stuff wasn't +p but not the fluffernutter loads everyone else likes to make... but that's the thing- if you need / want them, they are there. And stuff like 124 and 147s aren't much of an upcharge like they are often on the commercial side.....

My 9mm loads run me about $5-$6 per 50. But that’s due to me scoring primers at dirt cheap prices over the last 2 years - both online and from Shooters Outpost in NH. I also get 15% off blue bullets for being “sponsored” - just need to buy a jersey or patch to get 10% off LOL
Then I throw on a 5% off coupon code to get 15% off. So bullets are just over 6 cents shipped.

Back
Top Bottom