• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

What is he running for brand/model of ammo right now? He should practice with what he'll take into the field...
PM sent. I know thatā€™s what I told him. He should have enough to take a few practice shots with. I sighted in his shotgun and used Remington accutip 3" and Hornady 2.75" SSTs. But this was a few years ago and he hasnā€™t used the shotgun yet and I canā€™t remember which one shot the best and if one shot higher/lower etc than the other.

He got the shotgun in hopes of deer hunting in MA a few years back but never did. Kept hunting in Maine. So now that we struck out in ME he wants to go in MA lol.

Having Prime doesnā€™t help when the ammo sells out in less than a minute.

Bob

I have been able to get ammo most of the times I have tried when I get the alerts. Doesnā€™t mean I havenā€™t missed some alerts or they donā€™t come late, but for the most part I havenā€™t had a problem. You do have to be quick. I have the login store in my phone and the Cc on file w them so when I get the alert I can order quickly. Iā€™m done for a while though unless something really attractive comes along. I have done my duty for others at this point.

Anyone ever tried shooting a rifled slug out of a rifled barrel? I'll let you know how they do with accuracy. I usually shoot Remington accu-tip or copper solid saboted slugs. I only have six and have to site my scope in. I'm switching to Foster slugs for the season which I have enough of.

What brand of 9 do target sports get in on a regular basis? I have notifications for a few brands but never get notified. Go to their website.....nothing.

I bought 2 cases (1,000/case) of the TSUSA 9MM ammo and itā€™s repackaged/branded S&B. I prefer WWB for range use (I know, I know...), but this is decent stuff. I would gladly trade for WWB .45ACP on a 1:1 basis for 500 or 1,000 rounds.

The only other 9mm is see TSUSA getting with any frequency/regularity are Federal or Hornady HP type rounds.

I have been able to get ammo most of the times I have tried when I get the alerts. Doesnā€™t mean I havenā€™t missed some alerts or they donā€™t come late, but for the most part I havenā€™t had a problem. You do have to be quick. I have the login store in my phone and the Cc on file w them so when I get the alert I can order quickly. Iā€™m done for a while though unless something really attractive comes along. I have done my duty for others at this point.

Every time I have gotten an alert it was gone and I was sitting right there so I was right on top of it. I rarely get an alert. It is crazy and its only going to get worse in the short term.

My only success has been refreshing the page and seeing it pop up right then.

Bob

Anyone ever tried shooting a rifled slug out of a rifled barrel? I'll let you know how they do with accuracy. I usually shoot Remington accu-tip or copper solid saboted slugs. I only have six and have to site my scope in. I'm switching to Foster slugs for the season which I have enough of.
You can shoot it... but accuracy may suffer. Sabots are the way to go in rifled, unless subsistence-hunting. Wounding deer sucks...

PM sent. I know thatā€™s what I told him. He should have enough to take a few practice shots with. I sighted in his shotgun and used Remington accutip 3" and Hornady 2.75" SSTs. But this was a few years ago and he hasnā€™t used the shotgun yet and I canā€™t remember which one shot the best and if one shot higher/lower etc than the other.

He got the shotgun in hopes of deer hunting in MA a few years back but never did. Kept hunting in Maine. So now that we struck out in ME he wants to go in MA lol.
What configuration/platform is he hunting with?

I havenā€™t done it but they should shoot fine. The Box of Truth did a comparison years ago and they shot well.

Bob

The Box O' Truth #46 - Shotgun Slugs, Sabots, and Smooth Bore Barrels - The Box O' Truth

I bought 2 cases (1,000/case) of the TSUSA 9MM ammo and itā€™s repackaged/branded S&B. I prefer WWB for range use (I know, I know...), but this is decent stuff. I would gladly trade for WWB .45ACP on a 1:1 basis for 500 or 1,000 rounds.

The only other 9mm is see TSUSA getting with any frequency/regularity are Federal or Hornady HP type rounds.

You should post that in the NES Firearms Accessories classifieds, I did several ammo trades there.

I'll keep my eyes open if I see any of the Accutips or SST's in 20 ga when I'm out.(and I'm always out [smile])
I'll PM you and pick them up if you like.
~Enbloc

I'll keep my eyes open if I see any of the Accutips or SST's in 20 ga when I'm out.(and I'm always out [smile])
I'll PM you and pick them up if you like.
~Enbloc
Awesome! Yes please. Or really any decent 20 gauge sabot slug. He canā€™t be too picky nowadays.

Thanks. Iā€™ll put a notify in. I donā€™t have a 45 or I would trade.

I believe this article is about sabots in a smoothbore, not Fosters in a rifled bore... which can produce poor groups at mid to longer ranges when hunting deer.
In a hallway for self defense, it would work fine.

They did at the end of the article. I quoted it below.

Bob

I was about to load up and go home, but Vern said, ā€œWhy donā€™t we try some of the non-sabot rifled slugs through the rifled barrel.ā€

I told him it might deposit lead in the rifling, but he said we could clean it up when we got home.

So, I loaded up the rifled barrel with the non-sabot rifled slugs and asked Vern, ā€œOkay. Whatā€™s it going to do? Small group or big group?ā€

He thought it would cause more spread.

I thought it might shoot a tight group.

I told him. ā€œOne thing for sure, one of us is wrong.ā€

Here we go.

All five went into a 3 inch group (they are marked with squares).

Without the flier, it would have been a 2 inch group.

Very surprising.

Lessons learned:
  1. Sabot slugs in a rifled barrel are very accurate.
  2. Shooting sabot slugs through a smooth bore is a waste of money. They will ā€œworkā€ but accuracy suffers and there is no reason to spend the extra money for sabot slugs if you are going to shoot them through a smooth bore. Besides, if they are not flying straight and nose-first, they will not expand as designed.
  3. Different shotguns ā€œlikeā€ different loads. Just like rifles and pistols. You must try different loads to find what your gun ā€œlikesā€.
  4. Shooting a non-sabot rifled slug through a rifled barrel can cause them to shoot into very nice groups.
  5. When we got home and cleaned the rifled barrel, the five non-sabot, rifled slugs had not really deposited any lead that we could notice. The barrel cleaned-up sparkling clean very easily.
  6. Itā€™s fun to shoot stuff.
The Box O' Truth #46 - Shotgun Slugs, Sabots, and Smooth Bore Barrels - The Box O' Truth

I believe this article is about sabots in a smoothbore, not Fosters in a rifled bore... which can produce poor groups at mid to longer ranges when hunting deer.
In a hallway for self defense, it would work fine.
The end of the article he shot Foster slugs out of a rifled barrel and got goods results. I would imagine there is quite a bit of lead following. They are most likely going to change point of impact by quite a bit since they weigh almost twice as much.

Might just be me, or my particular shotgun and choice of ammo, but I got wildly worse groups with foster slugs through my rifled barrel mossy 500. Enough so to not try it again. No leading.

Thanks for your post @HorizontalHunter.

I shoot the 2-3/4ā€ Remington sluggers out of my smooth barrel. I one of the holdouts who never upgraded as I saw no need. For the kind of hunting I do I saw no gain in upgrading to a heavier weapon with much more expensive ammunition.

This is a case where the load might make all the difference in the world. Going with a hotter load might cause the slug to not engage the rifling. It could be so fast that the lead is just being stripped by the rifling instead of engaging the rifling and spinning the projectile.

That would also explain the lack of leading in the test.

A thought anyway.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom