• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Well, that's something: 6.5 PRC is back in stock! I remember at the height of the drought, Cabela's had 7 or 8 different rifles, all in 6.5 PRC. They weren't that expensive either. Someone here on NES will finally get to shoot their PRC rifle! Now, if only they stocked the 8mm Mauser...

In New England, if you want to shoot long range you have to drive. Unless you are lucky and live near one of the 2 or 3 places with 500+ ranges.

In MA that is Gramlnby and Reading.

Granby to 1K.
Reading to 600.
Yup. Hour is nothing. I know @MC56 drives all the way to NY for PRS matches. I’m sure others here do as well

In New England, if you want to shoot long range you have to drive. Unless you are lucky and live near one of the 2 or 3 places with 500+ ranges.

In MA that is Gramlnby and Reading.

Granby to 1K.
Reading to 600.
Become friends with farmers

That’s all that matters.

The 75’s and 77’s are mostly ‘needed’ at 500yds and beyond, so I wouldn’t worry about them too much unless you’re shooting competition.

That being said, I mostly shoot 77’s.
77smks are decent midrange bullets but fall apart at distance. watched it happen to a buddy all season before finally figuring out what was happening...they were turning to confetti past 500yds. 75eldm is a much better .223 bullet.

In MA that is Granby and Reading.

Granby to 1K.
Reading to 600.
About equal distance , just different directions. I have a good set up on a piece of property that my girlfriends father owns , but only have 60yds. It's perfect for pistol shooting , and I can't complain because I know many others have to shoot at clubs just to be able to do that.

77smks are decent midrange bullets but fall apart at distance. watched it happen to a buddy all season before finally figuring out what was happening...they were turning to confetti past 500yds. 75eldm is a much better .223 bullet.
I’m calling bullshit on that one, sorry. I’ve shot hundreds of 77gr SMK and nosler CC’s out to 600 in high power matches and they hold up just fine.

I’m not trying to argue with you here because there is no question in my mind that what you’re saying is false.

I’m calling bullshit on that one, sorry. I’ve shot hundreds of 77gr SMK and nosler CC’s out to 600 in high power matches and they hold up just fine.

I’m not trying to argue with you here because there is no question in my mind that what you’re saying is false.
Happened to 2 people I know. Both were running just shy of 3000fps muzzle velocity. One was just this past season, shoot with him every match.

The jackets come off if you run em hot out of a bolt gun. ELDMs dont do that. JLKs dont do that. Bergers (afaik) dont do that. You can call me a liar all you want, but I'm not wrong. I suspect you are running them much slower in your 600yd matches. I should have specified speed in my original post.

I've never tried anything besides the 55gr , the 55 groups well out of my rifles , so I've never bothered.

Whatever works.

I also hardly ever shoot anything other than 55gr. FMJ, but when the zombie apocalypse does start I still have 500+ of these bad boys that I bought back when TSUSA was selling them for $11.03 a box.

Speer LE Gold Dot .223 Rem. 75gr. Soft Point...

BbJPj5Il.png

🐯

Turning into confetti?

That is interesting. What is the reason, do they go subsonic and that breaks them?

I think this was discussed earlier but couldn't find it. Ammo Incorporated, good or bad? Looking at their 10mm offering.
I wasn't a huge fan, with 9mm it was giving me big groups, if I swapped to a different brand they shrunk, swap back they grew again

jackets came off. I suspect speed is the cause. They were both running close to 3000fps out of a 26" barrel.

I shot 77 & 90 gr SMK’s out to 1k without this magical confetti trick. Perhaps it’s the rifle, 1-7 twist, 20” bbl. That extra 6” is wasted while increasing whip & harmonics but that’s another thread entirely.

I now drive an hour to my range, though it does go out to 850y in addition to the normal pistol bays and 1,2,3,&400y stuff. No way around it down here unfortunately.
I was driving close to an hour and a half each way to my range in Indiana. It was a BEAUTIFUL 300yd range and there was never anybody there, but driving that far got old, FAST!

That’s why it was essential I got space for my 200yd home range here at my new place. Should definitely be room for 300yds too but my impact area will be about 60ft above my firing line.

I was driving close to an hour and a half each way to my range in Indiana. It was a BEAUTIFUL 300yd range and there was never anybody there, but driving that far got old, FAST!

That’s why it was essential I got space for my 200yd home range here at my new place. Should definitely be room for 300yds too but my impact area will be about 60ft above my firing line.
I can do 400 yards on my land. I would need some heavy equipment to remove trees and level some hillsides to do it though.

I can do 400 yards on my land. I would need some heavy equipment to remove trees and level some hillsides to do it though.
I can’t keep up with where everybody is these days…where’d you wander off to?

That’s awesome though. I was really hoping to be able to get a 500yd range, but finding something flat enough for that distance and with a natural backstop that wouldn’t cost me a million dollars to excavate was nearly impossible.

The only way I could do it around here is if I bought a piece of property adjacent to mine and shot over a valley to another plateau…but there’s often more than one house down in every holler here, so I imagine the locals might not be too happy about bullets flying over their trailers.

I can’t keep up with where everybody is these days…where’d you wander off to?

That’s awesome though. I was really hoping to be able to get a 500yd range, but finding something flat enough for that distance and with a natural backstop that wouldn’t cost me a million dollars to excavate was nearly impossible. The only way I could do it around here is if I bought a piece of property adjacent to mine and shot over a valley to another plateau.
Still in Ma believe it or not. Looking for an exit in 2-3 years to Idaho or Montana if not NH or Maine.

I tried to shoot indoors at commercial ranges but got pissed and left after they started checking my tax stamps and matching serial numbers. Hard pass on that level of Commie statist bullshit.
All I got at Granite State was jealous looks and questions about the upper (BRN180), mostly from MA guys.

Back
Top Bottom