• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Sports Delivering Again - Megathread

Looks like the LC 5.56 is back. They must have received a large shipment of this and are spreading it out over a period of time to keep prices artificially high. But it’s still flying off the shelf:

I imagine by now ammunition manufacturers have to be bringing in more machinery to increase production capacity, especially in the "popular" calibers.

I bet they could build individual state of the art plants for just .22 and just 9mm.

I imagine by now ammunition manufacturers have to be bringing in more machinery to increase production capacity, especially in the "popular" calibers.

I bet they could build individual state of the art plants for just .22 and just 9mm.

I don't think that's the case. It doesn't make sense for ammo manufacturers to scale up production capacity to meet the absurd spike in demand from this panic buying spree, because it will eventually calm down and they'll have a bunch of surplus capacity they don't need.

I don't think that's the case. It doesn't make sense for ammo manufacturers to scale up production capacity to meet the absurd spike in demand from this panic buying spree, because it will eventually calm down and they'll have a bunch of surplus capacity they don't need.

I wonder, if things popped off for real, would all the manufacturing plants just shut down? Would they get guards and only produce/sell their ammo to the side they support?

Either
3 hours seems a little excessive. I could understand an hour or hour and a half. Doesn't matter as I'm a Prime member, but it definitely sucks for non members. Will never get a chance at anything hard to get. Especially with Dealer memberships buying large bulk orders.

I disagree that 3 hours is excessive. If anything, its still not long enough. You're asking paying members to check stock at least once every 3 hours, or certainly miss out to non-members.

If they can move their entire stock to members, then I don't know why they wouldn't go to an entirely members-only model. If you want ammo, join the club. This coming from a slightly butt-hurt new gun owner and prime member of the site who missed out on $.32 cpr .223 a couple days ago at like 7:30 in the morning. I made it to checkout, and it disappeared. I'm sure some of those that got it before me don't pay for the membership. I would've happily paid for the shipping and extra .01 per round to have it secured for me at that price, but that's not an option.

This spike is because of all the new gun buyers "getting into the game", and it will take YEARS just to get their closets filled. On top of that is the backlog of people (us included) who have been unable to get what they want for regular range use. On top of THAT, are the people who want to start stocking up a bit in case of rioters or whatever else. Then there is the backlog for the new shooters, who have finally run out, and need to refill their supplies, or who are getting into regular range visits or are stocking up. This could be literally a multi-year thing going on here.

This spike is because of all the new gun buyers "getting into the game", and it will take YEARS just to get their closets filled. On top of that is the backlog of people (us included) who have been unable to get what they want for regular range use. On top of THAT, are the people who want to start stocking up a bit in case of rioters or whatever else. Then there is the backlog for the new shooters, who have finally run out, and need to refill their supplies, or who are getting into regular range visits or are stocking up. This could be literally a multi-year thing going on here.
Except most of those new shooters aren't filling their closets. They're buying "some" and calling it good enough. It's rather likely that "we" are the only ones driving all of this. We're the ones that have been through all of it before and are freaking out as though we're watching our portfolios collapse. Most of those new owners bought a blaster and a couple hundred rounds as a lifetime purchase, because they're not expecting to ever actually use it. Everybody who should know better is failing at the prisoner's dilemma.

I don't understand the ammo spikes that much, casual shooters, new owners, and evem some 5 to 10 gun owners I know tend to buy ammo like I buy screws or nails - ie a little to go shoot today. Nobody hoards. Very few gun owners actually shoot say 1000 rounds a month.

Whatever the case, agree that manufacturers aren't going to re-tool except smaller ones where they can maybe add a little capacity and make the $$ back in the short term.

If Trump wins in November for instance then it all comes to a screeching halt. Even if he doesn't, sooner or later it ends because we use a whole lot less than we are buying right now.

Except most of those new shooters aren't filling their closets. They're buying "some" and calling it good enough. It's rather likely that "we" are the only ones driving all of this. We're the ones that have been through all of it before and are freaking out as though we're watching our portfolios collapse. Most of those new owners bought a blaster and a couple hundred rounds as a lifetime purchase, because they're not expecting to ever actually use it. Everybody who should know better is failing at the prisoner's dilemma.
I’m apt to agree with both forward looking statements. One of my coworkers bought a Ruger SR9 3-4 years ago after getting her LTC. Hasn’t taken it out of the box since she bought it nor the range to shoot it since then. There are many of these types out there. Also we are in unprecedented times so being prepared and maybe paying a bit more is a good hedge.

We must remember that the Fed and all central banks will keep those printing presses running full tilt and we will see zero rates for at least the next 2 years. Consider everything you purchase cheap right now. Even if Trump gets in for a second term I expect a weakened dollar and gradual inflationary pressures. If he doesn’t win then all bets are off. Either way, stocking up ammo is good practice. You can sell your 500’s and 870’s right now for 200-300% of what you may have purchased it for.

There's more to current pricing than just people buying more than usual. The entire supply chain, going all the way back to the mines has been affected. Add onto that the value of the dollar taking a hit, and social unrest in an election year

I don't understand the ammo spikes that much, casual shooters, new owners, and evem some 5 to 10 gun owners I know tend to buy ammo like I buy screws or nails - ie a little to go shoot today. Nobody hoards. Very few gun owners actually shoot say 1000 rounds a month.

Whatever the case, agree that manufacturers aren't going to re-tool except smaller ones where they can maybe add a little capacity and make the $$ back in the short term.

If Trump wins in November for instance then it all comes to a screeching halt. Even if he doesn't, sooner or later it ends because we use a whole lot less than we are buying right now.
1000 rounds a month isn't even all that much. 250 rounds is like maybe an hour of shooting. Do that once a week and thats 1k a month.

It always amused me, people buying only 1 or 2 boxes at a time, sort of like when the the T used tokens, people would stand in line in the morning to buy one token, and do the same in the evening, why not buy 10 tokens and you are good for the week.

after making an account, do you just email them a copy of your LTC?

You upload it directly to their system. When you go into your account, there’s a line item for permits (or something to that effect) and you upload your relevant documents. When I did that, they didn’t ship that day or the next, and I chalked it up to them verifying what I sent. I don’t know if that’s what really happened though.

You upload it directly to their system. When you go into your account, there’s a line item for permits (or something to that effect) and you upload your relevant documents. When I did that, they didn’t ship that day or the next, and I chalked it up to them verifying what I sent. I don’t know if that’s what really happened though.

am i blind? i dont see it

So can prime members consistently purchase popular calibers? I have thought about going prime but since I usually buy by the case I didn't see much benefit. I'd consider going Prime if I knew at least that I'd be able to get ammo consistently. Today was the first time I saw in stock 9mm that wasn't the buck per round carry stuff, then when I clicked I saw it was reserved for Prime. If that only happens once in a while it's not worth the membership.

Back
Top Bottom