Target sizes?

Is there a list or generaly agreed upon size vs. distance for targets?

I.e at 25 yards a pistol target is 6" square and at 50 yards it's 8" sq. A rifle target is 12" sq at 100 yrds and 38" sq (for people like me) at 200 yds?

Thanks!

That all depends of what your area of interest is.

Bullseye?

NRA High-power?

Bench rest?

Silhouette?

IDPA / USPSA / ICORE?

SASS?

Hunting?

Plinking?

Self-defense?

Ballistic self-gratification?

Ad nauseam ...

Each has its own level of required accuracy. Some disciplines may have overlaping or similar standards, but first you need to decide what it is you want to do.

Uhh.. Let's go with.. plinking and just looking for a reasonable guideline of target size.

My goal is not to compete, but to just have fun with the boys so we can have our own competitions and know what is a "reasonable" target to try and hit at any particular distance.

If someone said "Let's go shooting" and they were way new, what targets would you offer up as something reasonable to shoot at?

Ex: I've been shooting the 9" Shoot-n-See at 100 yards. Which is fine(ish) but this is a strech for me at 100yds, what should I use at 200yds?

Equally, a silloute is HUGE at 25 yards. Perhaps good practice.. but huge.

That all depends of what your area of interest is.

Bullseye?

NRA High-power?

Bench rest?

Silhouette?

IDPA / USPSA / ICORE?

SASS?

Hunting?

Plinking?

Self-defense?

Ballistic self-gratification?

Ad nauseam ...

Each has its own level of required accuracy. Some disciplines may have overlaping or similar standards, but first you need to decide what it is you want to do.

Is there a list or generaly agreed upon size vs. distance for targets?

I.e at 25 yards a pistol target is 6" square and at 50 yards it's 8" sq. A rifle target is 12" sq at 100 yrds and 38" sq (for people like me) at 200 yds?

Thanks!
I don't know where you got your data from but a 25 yard slow fire pistol target is much larger than 6 inches square.
For beginner and intermediate shooters, I would recommend starting with something like this:
http://alcotarget.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=120

Set it any distance you like. The official distance is meaningless outside formal competition.
My best guess is that the 5 ring is about 9 1/2 inches in diameter.

When I said, "Silhouette" I should have said, "Metalic Silhouette Shooting" like these:
silhouettes-web.jpg

Clay targets are always fun for plinking. Put them out as far as you are comfortable with. Increase the range as your skills improve.

If instant gratification is your thing, then a hanging steel plate is the way to go. You get that satisfying "CLANG" and don't have to walk downrange to reset or paste up anything.
<
Riflesteel.jpg

If you just want to punch holes in paper try these: Free Targets

+1 to hanging plates. Steel plates are fun. I always shoot better at reactive targets.

But for new folks to the range: white paper plates at 25 feet for pistol. 25yards for rifle (or so...). With the white background it is easy to see you shots and there is not pressure to hit the X ring.

For informal competition, use what ever you like. You could use the NRA 50Ft bullseye targets..

Back
Top Bottom