• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Size?

How big should the paper size be for a 50 yard and 100 yard rifle target? I find all these free printable targets online but I doubt typical 8 1/2 x 11 paper sizes is big enough for 50 and 100 yard....

Thanks!

It's difficult to answer your question with the information provided,which is basicly none. A 100 yard rifle target is 21" square with a 6 1/4" black. To keep your shots in the black shooting an open sighted rifle offhand would be good shooting in my opinion. To do the same from the bench with a scoped varmint rifle would be nothing to write home about.

I almost always use 8.5x11 for targets, no matter what I'm doing. For sighting in, my range has a big roll of butcher paper, so you can put that over the shot-up cardboard, put your target in the middle, and have a clean target the size of the target frame.

Alternatively, print out a bullseye on 8.5x11, and staple up blank paper around it if you don't think it's big enough to sight in on.

I'll assume that the .223 is an AR with a peep sight and the 7.62x39 is either an AK or an SKS with open sights. An 8 1/2"x11" piece of paper should be plenty big enough for either. The limiting factor will be your eyesight. Use a bullseye as small as you can see well enough to aim. As Atmay suggested, put a big piece of blank paper behind the target so you can see where the bullets go if you miss.

for sighting in I use rolls of the brownish red paper they sell at the home depot and a "magnum" sharpie. I will basically make myself a giant target . once i have it roughly sited in, I will just use the cheapy pistol targets or print some off line.

Back
Top Bottom