• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target shooting roster question

If there is a target shooting roster, how does a normal human being go about purchasing a gun off of said list? Like can I just go into an LGS and purchase an STI Eagle? I understand that there are other ways of getting them and I don't need to hear "look around, you'll find it", don't care. Just wondering about the process to purchase a "Formal Target Shooting" pistol.

Thanks

There is no reliable list that I can find. It all boils down to what a dealer is willing to sell you. Call your dealer and tell him what you are looking for, and he should be able to tell you what you can get.

Process wise, it SHOULD be like any other gun that was on the EOPS List and AG-compliant. In other words, if it is on the target roster it is approved for sale. However, I'd venture a guess that better than 1/2 the MA dealers wouldn't have a clue and would refuse to obtain and sell it. So again, ask your local dealer as they are the final arbiter of what they will or won't sell.

If there is a target shooting roster, how does a normal human being go about purchasing a gun off of said list? Like can I just go into an LGS and purchase an STI Eagle? I understand that there are other ways of getting them and I don't need to hear "look around, you'll find it", don't care. Just wondering about the process to purchase a "Formal Target Shooting" pistol.

Thanks

Yes you can. We have several STIs on hand where I work.

Bob

The Formal Target Shooting and Olympic Competition Roster are found on the Public Safety Site, these guns are exempt from any other regulation such as the 940 CMR.

"This roster has been compiled in accordance with M.G.L. c.140, § 123 and 501 CMR 7.00. It contains firearms which are exempt from the testing requirements described in M.G.L. c. 140, § 123, clauses 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st, and which may be sold by Massachusetts licensees pursuant to M.G.L. c. 140, § 123 and 940 CMR 16.01(f). The makes and models listed herein were reviewed by the GCAB and subsequently designated by the Secretary of the Executive Office of Public Safety as being solely designed and sold for formal target shooting competitions."

I showed this to my local FFL and they were they OK to receive one from a private sale out of state. Print it out and show them, if they refuse you should consider another FFL.

How does this "list" differ from theEOPS approved firearms list?
Both lists have the same status as to establishing legality (but not necessarily AG compliance) of handguns for sale.

The criteria for the main EOPS list is lab testing. The criteria for the target roster is proof the gun was designed and manufactured exclusively for formal target shooting competition.

With respect to acquiring a firearm off the "Formal Target Shooting" list, would the FFL require a competition license or a certificate of membership of a particular shooting competition association? Or will they specify on the sales invoice "only good for competition shooting"?

I get the: if the FFL sells it to you, it's on them, not you, but curious how the target list affects sales process. Bueller?

With respect to acquiring a firearm off the "Formal Target Shooting" list, would the FFL require a competition license or a certificate of membership of a particular shooting competition association? Or will they specify on the sales invoice "only good for competition shooting"?

I get the: if the FFL sells it to you, it's on them, not you, but curious how the target list affects sales process. Bueller?

Target list is exempt from AG insanity. No restrictions on sales or requirements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting. Currently on vacation in Vermont. When trying to obtain the Olympic competition roster, I get a mass.gov page that says “unauthorized location”. “You are accessing this site from an unauthorized location. Please access only from an authorized location. “

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom