• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target Shooting in Colorado

I am sure there are plenty of folks on this forum who have hunted in Colorado. I am planning a trip out next week to visit with family. My niece loves to target shoot and I have offered to take her(she has her own weapon), so I won't be flying with mine. Will my Mass Concealed Carry permit cover me for just target shooting?
Anyone know of a website where I might get this information?
Thank you, Alliecat

Will my Mass Concealed Carry permit cover me for just target shooting?

Nobody in Colorado (including visitors) needs a license of any sort to shoot or possess guns. That, in fact, is almost universally true outside of the northeast.

I know that concept is difficult to accept having been beaten down by Mass, but you can take my word for it to the bank,

Or you can read this: http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/colorado.aspx

PS, one more thing your Mass LTC is not accepted for concealed carry (the only thing licenses are needed for) in Colorado. Why? Because Colorado will not accept licenses from states that do not recognize theirs.

My niece loves to target shoot and I have offered to take her(she has her own weapon), so I won't be flying with mine.

FYI, it is perfectly legal for you to bring your firearm(s) with you.

Will my Mass Concealed Carry permit cover me for just target shooting?

CO does not recognize a MA LTC, so generally you cannot carry concealed*, but no permit/license is required for mere possession.

*concealed carry of a loaded handgun in a vehicle, or in your "dwelling or place of business or on property owned or under your control", does not require a concealed carry permit (C.R.S. 18-12-105 and 18-12-204).

ETA:

BTW, even in MA, unlicensed possession of a handgun or long gun for target shooting (or other lawful purposes) is legal while in the presence of an appropriately licensed individual (MGL 140-129C(m)).

Last edited:
Not saying don't do it but you might actually have somebody say something.
Alliecat, make sure that wherever you go public land-wise does not have a shooting ban so that when the inevitable happens and some tool decides to run his mouth (as cja correctly predicts) you can do this:

thumbnail.aspx

And no, you won't have to worry about "suitability".

I want to thank all of your for your very informative and entertaining responses. I am so used to having a permit for everything in Massachusetts, I wrongly assumed Colorado would be the same. I will certainly keep in mind the weather conditions. Thanks!

I was also going say that the shooting areas have been closed because of the extremely dry conditions out there. I'm not sure where you are going, but you might want to check with the D.O.W. http://wildlife.state.co.us/About/OfficesAndPhone before you go there planning on shooting. If you are headed to Colorado Springs, Bolder, Denver or the Estes Park area you might as well not plan on it.

I lived in CO for a while. They didnt issue concealed permits then, don't know if that loosened up a bit. The guys in the gun shops would all start bragging about open carry but dont do it. Like here, you start walking around with a gun strapped on and you wont get very far. Really rural areas different story, you MIGHT be able to without being stopped. I lived in southern Colorado and you could just go outside the city limits and shoot. It was pretty much desert and nothing really to burn although I did belong to 2 clubs. If you are heading to a smaller city, not Denver area or Springs, a quick call to the local PD or Sheriffs office and they will be happy to point you to an area outside of town where you can shoot, provided its not a fire hazard at the moment. It's a different world out there but it was changing fast with transplants from other not so gun friendly states.

I bothers my colorado relatives that we yankees out shoot them. I think they take them for granted and just assume having some in the safe makes them proficient. Whereas those of us who jump through all the hoops tend to get to range much more often,

When I was stationed at Fort Carson me and my buddies would just go out to the prairies east of Colorado Springs and shoot anywhere. No one ever bothered us. As was said before, not much to burn out there. There's a range east of Colorado Springs owned by a guy they call the Dragon Man. I've shot at his place a few times.

all outdoor shooting has been temporary closed on state land due to fire conditions. That said, we're getting rain the next 4 days....and now there's flash floor warnings due to all the fire damage.

where are you staying, maybe I can point you in the right direction for some indoor shooting. There are a few 100 yard indoor ranges not far from Denver.

I lived in CO for a while. They didnt issue concealed permits then, don't know if that loosened up a bit. The guys in the gun shops would all start bragging about open carry but dont do it. Like here, you start walking around with a gun strapped on and you wont get very far. Really rural areas different story, you MIGHT be able to without being stopped. I lived in southern Colorado and you could just go outside the city limits and shoot. It was pretty much desert and nothing really to burn although I did belong to 2 clubs. If you are heading to a smaller city, not Denver area or Springs, a quick call to the local PD or Sheriffs office and they will be happy to point you to an area outside of town where you can shoot, provided its not a fire hazard at the moment. It's a different world out there but it was changing fast with transplants from other not so gun friendly states.

the state now has a "shall issue"...takes up to 90 days, but as long as you're not federally prohibited, you get your CCW (LTC). The only thing you need as far as gun ownership and only if you wish to conceal carry. Open carry is legal, except in the cities of Denver and Aurora. I see people open carrying a few times a week, and do so myself on occasion. People don't freak out...people don't call the cops (although they may in Boulder, but it is still legal).

There are a few stupid laws here too, most were passed right after Columbine. For example all guns that are purchased at a gun show must get a background check (both state and federal). If I meet you at a gun show, and you say that you have a gun you're selling , and a month later I meet you someplace and buy it from you, the state considers that the sale was started at a gunshow and you need to have a background check.....but if you put a gun on craigslist I can meet you in a parking lot and exchange gun for cash with just a handshake (if you want).. providing you have no reason to believe that I'm a prohibited person, and we both live in the same state.

and Denver has some kind of assault weapon ban, that I really don't understand because I've never looked into it

and just about every weekend there's a gunshow in a short drive

Hi Joe,

I will be in the Conifer area. It is about one hour southwest of Denver. I imagine any indoor, 100 yd ranges are close to the city. I would appreciate the info on where they are and the name of the organization.

Thanks for your help,
AllieCat

Back
Top Bottom