• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Target crown AR pencil barrel

wheelgun

NES Member
In the old days you could find light weight AR pencil barrels with a target crown, like the Bushmaster super light. Now however they're hard to find, if any exist at all. Almost all are threaded. I wanted a lightweight barrel without having to pin/weld a muzzle device that would prevent me from changing the configuration in the future. I also had no interest in a brake since most are are pretty loud.

Here's the solution I went with. Buy a new 16" threaded pencil barrel (I chose Faxon). Send it to Adco, with instructions to pin/weld one of their standard thread protectors turned-down to 0.615" diameter, which allows the gas block to slide over it. Total cost for the protector, machine work and shipping was only $56. And Adco's workmanship was first class, as usual.

The result is just about the lightest barrel (for its length) on the market and freedom to swap rails, gas blocks etc. as I please. And the price Adco charged is unbelievably low. I asked for quotes from other shops and some wanted over $100 just for the pin./weld operation.

In the old days you could find light weight AR pencil barrels with a target crown, like the Bushmaster super light. Now however they're hard to find, if any exist at all. Almost all are threaded. I wanted a lightweight barrel without having to pin/weld a muzzle device that would prevent me from changing the configuration in the future. I also had no interest in a brake since most are are pretty loud.

Here's the solution I went with. Buy a new 16" threaded pencil barrel (I chose Faxon). Send it to Adco, with instructions to pin/weld one of their standard thread protectors turned-down to 0.615" diameter, which allows the gas block to slide over it. Total cost for the protector, machine work and shipping was only $56. And Adco's workmanship was first class, as usual.

The result is just about the lightest barrel (for its length) on the market and freedom to swap rails, gas blocks etc. as I please. And the price Adco charged is unbelievably low. I asked for quotes from other shops and some wanted over $100 just for the pin./weld operation.

I would imagine rates are dictated by location and operating cost.
Although a pin and weld in my mind shouldn't cost 100$.

Which barrel did you use?

Maybe if the cmp Mondern Milirtary Match catches on we will see some light weight target crown barrels in stock more?

Stag sells target crowned AR barrels without going through all that. Glad you had a good experience, though.

The Stag barrel that I see on their web page is an M4 profile, quite heavy. I wanted a very lightweight mid-gas barrel. Faxon's new lineup of barrels includes a 16" that weighs just 19oz. I know of no other barrel that comes close, unless you get into exotic materials.

I would imagine rates are dictated by location and operating cost.
Although a pin and weld in my mind shouldn't cost 100$.

Which barrel did you use?

Maybe if the cmp Mondern Milirtary Match catches on we will see some light weight target crown barrels in stock more?

I used one of the new Faxon barrels. They are an excellent manufacturer, very reasonably priced and light weight.
The only problem was initially there was such high demand for them, they were hard to find. Now they seem to have ramped up production, so more available. They have an entire new lineup of barrels.

Faxon is now like the BCM of barrels [smile]
Here's the link: to the one I used:

http://faxonfirearms.com/16-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-length-416-r-stainless-steel-qpq/

Last edited:
I used one of the new Faxon barrels. They are an excellent manufacturer, very reasonably priced and light weight.
The only problem was initially there was such high demand for them, they were hard to find. Now they seem to have ramped up production, so more available. They have an entire new lineup of barrels.

Faxon is now like the BCM of barrels [smile]
Here's the link: to the one I used:

http://faxonfirearms.com/16-pencil-5-56-nato-mid-length-416-r-stainless-steel-qpq/

Now if they only start making them with out threads....

You can always skip the thread protector and have the threads cut off and an 11 degree target crown applied.

You mean shorten a 16" barrel to 15 3/8" ? Not without a tax stamp. I doubt my CLEO would sign off on one, so I'd have to go the trust route.
And then what do I get for my trouble and $200? I still can't have a suppressor in Mass. As I stated in my original post, I have no interest in a brake due to the additional noise. So at best a tax stamp gets me a shorter crowned barrel. Not worth it. And trusts are likely do be outlawed soon anyway.

Ideally I'd like a suppressed rifle weighing under 6 lbs. It can be done, but not in Mass.

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed that you wrote it was a 16" barrel with threads.

My solution was to buy a longer barrel and cut the threads. It was cheaper and the acuracy was excellent.

ETA: I just looked and the barrel I bought is no longer available.

Last edited:
Sorry, I missed that you wrote it was a 16" barrel with threads.
My solution was to buy a longer barrel and cut the threads. It was cheaper and the acuracy was excellent.
ETA: I just looked and the barrel I bought is no longer available.

Yup, that's another way to do it. But again I was looking for a very light barrel and I haven't seen one in 18" that would be as light (after cutting).

You might not find one on a shelf but a good barrel maker or any decent machinist with a lathe can make one pretty easy.

I had one from these guys once: http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/fw.shtml

You mean shorten a 16" barrel to 15 3/8" ? Not without a tax stamp. I doubt my CLEO would sign off on one, so I'd have to go the trust route.
And then what do I get for my trouble and $200? I still can't have a suppressor in Mass. As I stated in my original post, I have no interest in a brake due to the additional noise. So at best a tax stamp gets me a shorter crowned barrel. Not worth it. And trusts are likely do be outlawed soon anyway.

Ideally I'd like a suppressed rifle weighing under 6 lbs. It can be done, but not in Mass.

You could just machine the threads themselves off but leave the length. It would look a little weird but it wouldn't be a threaded barrel anymore.

Last edited:
You might not find one on a shelf but a good barrel maker or any decent machinist with a lathe can make one pretty easy.

I had one from these guys once: http://www.ar15barrels.com/prod/fw.shtml

You could just machine the threads themselves off but leave the length. It would look a little weird but it wouldn't be a threaded barrel anymore.

Green mountain has some barrels that have the extension done and you just profile it the way you want it.
Having a machine shop do it won't break the bank.

Green mountain has some barrels that have the extension done and you just profile it the way you want it.
Having a machine shop do it won't break the bank.

That highly depends on the shop .......and if they will touch a shhhhhh gun.

Lol.
True but it seems a lot of machinist are into guns.
I know a few machinist into guns, just the shop they work at are not.

I tried a few shops in my area fore some small projects after my local small shop went to texas.
All wanted a 100$ set up fee plus lathe/machine time ? One project was nothing more than a spacer block for a target sight mount.......I ended up making one myself with a hacksaw,file and some a 15$ tap/drill set from brownells for common sight threads.......took me about 45min with hand tools.

I know a few machinist into guns, just the shop they work at are not.

I tried a few shops in my area fore some small projects after my local small shop went to texas.
All wanted a 100$ set up fee plus lathe/machine time ? One project was nothing more than a spacer block for a target sight mount.......I ended up making one myself with a hacksaw,file and some a 15$ tap/drill set from brownells for common sight threads.......took me about 45min with hand tools.

My old boss asked me to stop in when he found out I was into building guns . I got him prints etc so he could make his own billet lowers and other stuff .

Some shops are as low as 50$ setup. Depends on the shop if they mainly do contract or one offs etc also. Shops that mainly do large runs cost a lot more for 1 part .
I got a quote for one part for 250$ but if I had them do 20 it would be around 30$ a part. Asked a friend at a protype shop and was told 50$ . I made it my self over a few weeks for 5$ of metal .

My personal shop I'm stupid cheap when I do stuff since I just want any money lol.

Finally got around to taking some pics.
In the second pic you can see the pin/weld on the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG_0528.jpg
    IMG_0528.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0519.jpg
    IMG_0519.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0520.jpg
    IMG_0520.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0526.jpg
    IMG_0526.jpg