Target and Hunting restriction

Hypothetically:

LTC holder A has a Target and Hunting restriction. This restriction (per the letter of the law) allows them to carry to/from the range or hunting activities. On the way to(or from) the range they are pulled over/have a car accident/something involving police involvement. At what point do they "inform" if at all?

Target and Hunting restriction by the letter of the law allows the user to carry to/from the range. However there is a "judiciary footnote" attached that says "its not recommended"

That is the recommended/suggested definition that is included in the MIRCS system. You may have received a handout with your LTC which included these definitions, or you may be seeing these definitions summarized somewhere else, but it is not the law. Whatever "judiciary footnote" you are referring to is giving good advice.

Last edited:
I received a "sporting" restriction on my LTC A. So does this mean I can CC while driving to, during, and from 18 holes of golf?

The most dangerous part of my days are probably racing and bumping into you ammo hoarders for 9mm at wal-mart. If I can't carry then, screw it.

Or could shopping for ammo count as sporting? Heh, who knows. It's so BS.

I received a "sporting" restriction on my LTC A. So does this mean I can CC while driving to, during, and from 18 holes of golf?

The most dangerous part of my days are probably racing and bumping into you ammo hoarders for 9mm at wal-mart. If I can't carry then, screw it.

Or could shopping for ammo count as sporting? Heh, who knows. It's so BS.

sport⋅ing   /ˈspɔrtɪŋ, ˈspoʊr-/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [spawr-ting, spohr-] Show IPA
–adjective 1. engaging in, disposed to, or interested in open-air or athletic sports: a rugged, sporting man.
2. concerned with or suitable for such sports: sporting equipment.
3. sportsmanlike.
4. interested in or connected with sports or pursuits involving betting or gambling: the sporting life of Las Vegas.
5. involving or inducing the taking of risk, as in a sport.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1590–1600; sport + -ing 2

Had to reword my post sorry.

Hypothetically: Unless absolutely sure of the law, why would anyone put themselves into a position of having their LTC revoked.

15 years ago I received the restriction, and I was told that is a no no. But I guess every town may be different.

Last edited:
The restriction and how it is defined is at the discretion of the issuing authority of that license. although many towns restrictions allow the same thing there is no standard across the state. The little bit of good news is you only need to be in compliance the restriction as it is defined for your license. EG: I have a LTC in Hopkinton with a T&S restriction even if I have an encounter in Weymouth as long as I am abiding by Hopkinton's allowable "rules" under that restriction (and all other MGL's) I am fine even if Weymouth's definition for T&S is completely different.

The restriction and how it is defined is at the discretion of the issuing authority of that license. although many towns restrictions allow the same thing there is no standard across the state. The little bit of good news is you only need to be in compliance the restriction as it is defined for your license. EG: I have a LTC in Hopkinton with a T&S restriction even if I have an encounter in Weymouth as long as I am abiding by Hopkinton's allowable "rules" under that restriction (and all other MGL's) I am fine even if Weymouth's definition for T&S is completely different.

Hopkinton doesn't issue ALP??

Target and Hunting restriction by the letter of the law allows the user to carry to/from the range. However there is a "judiciary footnote" attached that says "its not recommended"

That restriction is not codified in law. It's specified by your issuing authority. It literally means whatever THEY want it to mean. It's not part
of MGL.

-Mike

I was under the impression that a LTC-A NO RESTRICTION was the ONLY way a person was allowed cc??????????? Why do folks think the rules (not laws)don't apply if it's done thier way. Good God ,, Just be happy you got any kind of ltc-a.. From what I read here a lot of folks get porked when trying for one. If you think you don't need to comply,don't and see what happens. I for one would't want to be the poster boy on what NOT to do. By the way, mine is no restricyion, and I'm a retired leo, so I kinda know whats what with permits. Good shootin

I was under the impression that a LTC-A NO RESTRICTION was the ONLY way a person was allowed cc???????????
Your impression was wrong. I t depends up on the specific restriction and even more so how the issuing CLEO defines those restrictions. As hunter46 points out standard definitions for restrictions are not defined by law. It's just a total mess.
Why do folks think the rules (not laws)don't apply if it's done thier way. Good God ,, Just be happy you got any kind of ltc-a..
Bu!!$h!++. This "just be happy attitude" is why our rights have been restricted as much as they have been in this he!!h0le of a state.
From what I read here a lot of folks get porked when trying for one. If you think you don't need to comply,don't and see what happens. I for one would't want to be the poster boy on what NOT to do. By the way, mine is no restricyion, and I'm a retired leo, so I kinda know whats what with permits. Good shootin
Nobody is saying don't comply. The question is what does "comply" mean?

Get rid of this crap; support H2259.

Last edited:
Yup What the hell do I know. I was the issuing officer. But I bow to all the EXPERTS out there... Do what ya want , screw the laws. Then P&M that you get busted.

FWIW, I used to have a LTC-A license restricted to Sporting. I asked the chief for clarification...I wanted to be able to ccw if I went finishing. He sent me a letter stating that it was his "opinion" that I could ccw while "sporting" however I must actually be engaged be in the sporting activity, implying carry to and from was not authorized. The letter finished suggesting I contact a lawyer for a definitive answer, as he was not a lawyer.

It's human nature to want to interpret the laws in our own favor. How much risk are you comfortable taking. In a worst case scenario you could be proving your case in court at a cost of perhaps $500-$1000 dollars an hour.

The laws are bull shit...outright unconstitutional. But Massachusetts is run by men and not laws.

I tell my students that you cannot ccw with a restricted class A, but I tell them that because it's true enough, not necessarily completely true.

Yup What the hell do I know. I was the issuing officer.
Did you issue restricted licenses? If so, what was your definition of said restrictions; let's use "Sporting" for example?

If your definition as issuing officer was that concealed carry was not allowed for any LTC-A that was restricted then that was the definition for those to whom you may have issued restricted licenses. Other issuing officers can and do have different definitions which are valid for those to whom they might issue restricted licenses. It's all up to the issuing authority.

It appears that MIRCS may include suggested definitions for various restrictions, but those are only suggestions. They do not have the force of law unless and until a CLEO say those definitions are how he/she defines restrictions for licenses they issue.

If you disagree then please cite the law wherein specific license restrictions are defined. I'm sure there are quite a number of us here who would like to see it.
But I bow to all the EXPERTS out there... Do what ya want , screw the laws. Then P&M that you get busted.
In which post has someone here actually advocated breaking the law??? I'll give you the answer; none, not one! Get off your high horse and read what people actually write.

Yup What the hell do I know. I was the issuing officer. But I bow to all the EXPERTS out there... Do what ya want , screw the laws. Then P&M that you get busted.

Everyone at this forum seems to learn things constantly, and there are a few here who help us. Sometimes we think we know it all, just to find out later, we sure do not.

Just think of this place as a giant library.

Gun Laws in this state are horrendous and difficult to follow, so just chew the fat, read the posts and you yourself may learn a few things.

Please don't get defensive, Jadek. I know there are plenty of folks here, including myself, who are interested in your unique perspective as a licensing officer. But that doesn't give you ultimate authority on the subject either.

Didn't say I did..... Just a tad more than the average Joe. I'm on enough forums and know a lot of shooters to know that they are self made authorities on all subjects. I believe half the folks out ther don't have a clue on any gun stuff. Other than in thier own minds.

I'm on enough forums and know a lot of shooters to know that they are self made authorities on all subjects. I believe half the folks out ther don't have a clue on any gun stuff. Other than in thier own minds.

Oh, believe me, I understand what you're saying and commiserate with you.

Didn't say I did..... Just a tad more than the average Joe. I'm on enough forums and know a lot of shooters to know that they are self made authorities on all subjects. I believe half the folks out ther don't have a clue on any gun stuff. Other than in thier own minds.

Except you fall in the categories of people not to ask for firearms advise (along with most gun store owners and liberals)

Please don't get defensive, Jadek. I know there are plenty of folks here, including myself, who are interested in your unique perspective as a licensing officer. But that doesn't give you ultimate authority on the subject either.
Better said than I did: Thank you Jeremy.

Jadek, I too am interested in your perspective. Sorry if I came across overly aggressive.

What I am really interested in is whether you issued restricted licenses, and if so what was the rationale?

Last edited:
Jadek, I want to hear what you have to say also. Welcome to the forum.

While I may not always agree with you, I will always listen. I've learned a lot since I first took my Chief of Police to court because we "disagreed" on a point of law. The judge ruled in my favor, and my chief learned something new.

There is always two sides to a coin, and an opinion.

I dont know why you're all jumping down Jadek's throat. We have here in virtual flesh and blood the person who we all need in our quest to obtain a LTC, the licensing officer. Instead of attacking, we should see if he was willing to share just even a little part of the process we may not know, or from a perspective none of us have. This may present to be a rare opportunity to pick Jadek's brain, and lets not screw it up and get him ticked at NES!

Mine states "Target & Hunting". So I guess I can't carry while fishing. [grin]

I like how each PD issues their own variance of restrictions, its a nice touch.

Mine states "Target & Hunting". So I guess I can't carry while fishing. [grin]

I like how each PD issues their own variance of restrictions, its a nice touch.

Hmm...you could argue you're hunting for fish....with your S&W!

Back
Top Bottom