• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

target and hunting restriction

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with getting there target and hunting restriction off there license. I am from Quincy and have my class A with those restrictions and called the QPD and they told me I need a letter explaining why I want them off. Any help would be appreciated

i'd recommend looking in the gun laws section of the forum. Many people have posted similar questions in there. IIRC Quincy is an uber red town and you're likely going to have a hard time getting that taken off before your renewal.

Welcome to the forum. There are a few people that will give you info on what you are looking for, I am sure they will be posting shortly. [wink]

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with getting there target and hunting restriction off there license. I am from Quincy and have my class A with those restrictions and called the QPD and they told me I need a letter explaining why I want them off. Any help would be appreciated

I thought quincy went red when the new chief went in, not sure how to look up quincy. I tried but quincy wasn't listed

Quincy has a new chief, and the word is he is being fair. Several people here have gotten LTC A no restrictions in the past few weeks.

Yes I heard the new Quincy chief has been much more reasonable for the new applicants... how old is the license?

Review this thread, it has a lot of great advice. http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1784

They won't just take it off though, you'll have to cough up the money for renewal. And unless your license is up for renewal they're under no obligation to review your application. That's what happened to me when I tried to re-apply in a friendlier town that I had moved to. They shelved it until I moved back to Slummaville.

im working on getting the same restrictions removed from my license.
the new town told me they have to call the original issuing department, ask them to expire it early and have the new issuing authority give you a new one, and you have to redo the fees.

mine hasnt been changed yet, apparently they are working on it.
their going to need some good boots and shovels to get through all the bullshit in the way.

mine hasnt been changed yet, apparently they are working on it.
their going to need some good boots and shovels to get through all the bullshit in the way.

That's why discretionary licensing sucks so bad. You have to beg and grovel to potentially have your CLEO approve you for a non-restricted license. I'd love to get my restriction removed too but I'm not holding my breath. Likely the fastest way for me to get an ALP is move to another town.

I have the same restriction, "target and hunting." And, I don't hunt, maybe they'll give me half my licensing fee back...[hmmm]

Sorry to go off tangent a little but I have a related question. I am a tournament bass fisherman. My LTC A is Target and sporting.

What activities exactly are sporting? I have heard riding quads is considered sporting to people who ride quads with a LTC T$S can carry while engaged in that activity.

My concern is I often am at secluded boat ramps in the wee hours of the morning by myself towing an expensive boat full of expensive rods, tackle, equipment and electronics. More than once I have had unsavory types "partying" at the ramp while I am trying to unload the boat. (example the chicopee ramp on the CT river with salsa music and pungent odors wafting in the air) I would think if those people can carry while quadding then fishing would fall into the same catagory. No?

Last edited:
To jmcclory, if you are a member of Braintree R&P, attend the members meeting on Monday and talk with the club VP about the situation. I understand that Quincy is now re-issuing w/o restrictions (no need for new fee) under the new chief. I do not know the details, but the club VP was intimately involved in getting rid of the old chief and getting this change in policy made.

Dench, I fear that they have fed you a ton of BS. Restrictions "can" be removed under the MIRCS system quite easily. They reissue the card w/o any other changes or fees (if they want to do so). [Must be done by issuing authority that first issued it however.] LTCs can't be "expired early" . . . only suspended/revoked and that's not where you want to go (it would haunt you forever).

Dench, I fear that they have fed you a ton of BS. Restrictions "can" be removed under the MIRCS system quite easily. They reissue the card w/o any other changes or fees (if they want to do so). [Must be done by issuing authority that first issued it however.] LTCs can't be "expired early" . . . only suspended/revoked and that's not where you want to go (it would haunt you forever).

Ahhhhh, shit.

Ahhhhh, shit.

on the upside, when you go to reapply, and you have to answer "yes" to "have you ever had your license suspended?" you can say "yes because the town I moved to was willing to upgrade my license"

not the end of the world, IMHO.

LTCs can't be "expired early" . . . only suspended/revoked and that's not where you want to go (it would haunt you forever).

They can in one case, if the card is lost, they invalidate it, and issue a new one (although from what I understand the new one bears the same info with a new number)

They can in one case, if the card is lost, they invalidate it, and issue a new one (although from what I understand the new one bears the same info with a new number)

Since it is a replacement card with same data, it's not invalidated is it?

Same LTC #, same expiration date = NOT "expired" or "invalidated".

thanks to all, I will be at the monday meeting at the Braintree gun club. i just joined the club and really like the people up their

Since it is a replacement card with same data, it's not invalidated is it?

Same LTC #, same expiration date = NOT "expired" or "invalidated".

Got my replacement today. A new number, but same expiration date. They told me that they invalidate the old one when they issue the replacement, and when they do that in MIRCS it also covers the required report to CHSB.

Did take two weeks, which was longer than the initial prediction of 3 days to a week, but it got done. The PD was very helpful throughout the process.

Last edited:
on the upside, when you go to reapply, and you have to answer "yes" to "have you ever had your license suspended?" you can say "yes because the town I moved to was willing to upgrade my license"

not the end of the world, IMHO.

well i talked to the lady on the phone when she called me, she said there werent any problems and there was nothing to worry about.
she did say that they were just going to expire, and she did not use the word revoke, the license early so i can pick up the unrestricted LTC. i specifically ask her in the beginning to notify me immediately if there was going to be any trouble at all, no matter how small. today she said everything was going fine.

like boston said, if this does end up being a "revoked" its not because of a negative reason, its to be re licensed. i dont think it will be much of a issue.

Got my replacement today. A new number, but same expiration date. They told me that they invalidate the old one when they issue the replacement, and when they do that in MIRCS it also covers the required report to CHSB.

Thanks for the correction. It actually makes sense to change the number and flag the old number as invalid (for stolen/lost FID/LTC) in case someone stole it or finds it and tries to use it fraudulently. This is the first I ever heard of them doing this however.

Thanks for the correction. It actually makes sense to change the number and flag the old number as invalid (for stolen/lost FID/LTC) in case someone stole it or finds it and tries to use it fraudulently. This is the first I ever heard of them doing this however.

len, just if you were wondering i talked to the lady in charge of the licenses today about the removal of the restrictions. this is what she told me;
she had to call up medford to request that they have the license expired. medford called up MIRCs (i think thats what its called) to request this and get approval. after that is done, westford now re applied me as if it were a renewal. my old medford restricted will expire or be expired when i receive my new unrestricted class a.

she also told me that a lot of people have had this done other then myself. in some cases a few people were given a new license without the old one being expired.

Perhaps it is a nomenclature thing. You can't hold two valid LTCs at the same time, so if they issue a new one, the old one will be invalidated as superseded.

It is my understanding that they can also simplify (perhaps) by the issuing authority requesting a change in restriction (to none) . . . that would be same LTC number, same expiration date and no charge.

Sounds like they are doing an early renewal, with fee attached. I can't be certain, but that is what it sounds like to me.

Good luck in any case.

yep, thats the case.
best $100 ive spent in a while.

ooo, I wonder if this would work for me in Brockton. I have a "sporting" restriction currently and definitely would love to have that replaced with "none". I haven't heard of anyone doing that in my town though. I believe I have heard of folks getting the unrestricted license upon regular renewal. I may need to send the licensing lady an e-mail and see if I can get some info on that.

i think Brockton is one of those towns that restricts you for the first term of the license, and then allows you to make a play for ALP.

[smile] I got my restrictions taken off my license in Quincy. From the day I put the request in to the day I got my new license was only 2 weeks. It seems to me the new chief of Quincy in very fair.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom