Taran Tactical first hand experience

I'm thinking about trying a Taran Tactical +2 mag extension on my Glock to bring it up to 8. From what I've read online, Tartan seems the most reliable. Anyone have any direct experience with mag extensions? Thanks.

Last edited:
g43 mags are known to be marginally reliable w HP ammo, likely due to light and fast slide velocity. They are prone to nosediving. Any extension of baseplate, even the smaller +1’s exacerbate the problem. such has been my experience w the G43 and 43x. The 48 is slightly less sensitive. This has been discussed ad nauseum on pistol forum and my interpretation from those who put shit tons of rounds through their glocks is to not F around w mag spring tension at all. If it’s a race or fun gun then whatever.

mag Spring tension is critical for function and on striker guns like glocks it’s even more important than on a hammer fired. the issue has nothing to do with TT products.

if you decide to put mag extension on an EDC pistol, suggest running a box of HP’s through it before calling it good. Then do again when the mags have some miles on them.

I expect no less than 20 uninformed opinions on the matter here.

Last edited:
I bought several +2’s and +3’s for my G43 a few years ago, never had an issue with any of them. More specifically, I purchased the full mags already set up with new springs and bases from the shop.

g43 mags are known to be marginally reliable w HP ammo, likely due to light and fast slide velocity. They are prone to nosediving. Any extension of baseplate, even the smaller +1’s exacerbate the problem. such has been my experience w the G43 and 43x. The 48 is slightly less sensitive. This has been discussed ad nauseum on pistol forum and my interpretation from those who put shit tons of rounds through their glocks is to not F around w mag spring tension at all. If it’s a race or fun gun then whatever.

mag Spring tension is critical for function and on striker guns like glocks it’s even more important than on a hammer fired. the issue has nothing to do with TT products.

if you decide to put mag extension on an EDC pistol, suggest running a box of HP’s through it before calling it good. Then do again when the mags have some miles on them.

I expect no less than 20 uninformed opinions on the matter here.

interesting, I had some feed issues on my 43x with the s15 +5 base plates on. Fed just fine with the normal 15 rounders, but the 2 mags I had with the base plates had issues.

haven’t tried them on my g48, that’ll be next I guess

Never had a single issue and I’ve used plus 1, plus 2 and plus 3’s.

Good quality and hold up well. If you’re interested I’m selling a few for a good price because I literally just sold my G43 on Saturday.
I haven’t posted them here but let me know.

G43 mags

He has a stable of gun bunnies. His stuff is ok, Ive never had problems with the used ones I’ve gotten. I prefer to buy from other makers. I have plenty of Hennings for my CZ mags

interesting, I had some feed issues on my 43x with the s15 +5 base plates on. Fed just fine with the normal 15 rounders, but the 2 mags I had with the base plates had issues.

haven’t tried them on my g48, that’ll be next I guess
Did you change out your springs for the +5’s or just put the new base plates on with the stock spring?

I'm thinking about trying a Taran Tactical +2 mag extension on my Glock to bring it up to 8. From what I've read online, Tartan seems the most reliable. Anyone have any direct experience with mag extensions? Thanks.
Damn!!!! I thought you were gonna say u just got done training/shooting there

Take a look at Pearce. I've got Plus2's on my G43 mags. No performance issues, fit is good.

I’m personally a fan of Tartigrade Tactical

Less creepy than Taran Butler.

View attachment 515601
A classic...properly captioned:
5kl303.jpg

Wow - I know nothing about this Taran guy, but if you all say he's a creep I'm happy to boycott him. I'll check out the Pearce.

Just googled him, read that his nickname is 'Weinstein'. Yep, he sure is a creep.

Last edited:
Pearce is cool because - in addition to costing 50-80% less than the giant slabs of aluminum - it looks less like an aftermarket motorcycle accessory and more like a part that might have been crafted by Glock specifically for use on your particular pistol. They tend to work well, provide a better grip surface than a cube of aluminum, and weigh less too. Only downside is they do +1 to +3 and not much else.

If you have a G26 I can't say enough about the Strike Industries EMP system which is more expensive than Pearce but a better thought out system overall, looks factory, and is still cheaper than many aluminum cube style extensions... They make a similar setup for the G42 and G43, but I have not had a chance to use them personally (I'm invested in Pearce).

Back
Top Bottom