• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taran Tactical +5/6 Mag Extension Issue

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
I have two pre-ban U-Notch genuine Glock 19 Mags (15rd) that are in decent condition. Put a Taran Tactical +5/6 mag extension (made of Glock 19) on each of them, including the longer (and included) mag springs, then proceeded to load 20rds each. They felt really tight, so I was going to let them sit loaded with 20rds for a while until the springs break in a bit. I think it should technically hold 21, but again, it was tight.

Took one out to put it into my Sub2000 Glock 19 grip to see how it fits. With the mag loaded, it was a tight squeeze getting the mag into the Sub2000 handle, but I just chalked that up to the Sub2k being brand new. Pushed it in and it wasn't clicking home, so I gave the mag a light slap on the bottom to shoe it in. The second my hand hit the mag extension, the mag extension shot off and showered me with the rounds and the magazine spring shot clear into my kitchen from my living room. Scared the shit out of me. Grabbed my shooting glasses and tried the second one. Sure enough, it was raining rounds again.

So, I'm thinking I'm an idiot and should have followed directions instead of just "figuring it out". I read the website and watched 3 Youtube videos. It was exactly as I installed them. Removed factory baseplate and remove factory spring. Insert new spring paying close attention to orientation, ensure follower is set right, and install Taran extension making sure to leave off the factory base. With the retention pin set in place, it appeared fine. Loaded again, but this time with only 18rds. This time I was just pushing the mag into the handle with firm, but constant force. Again, I was showered with rounds. WTF? Are my mags just too old? It almost feels like the extensions are popping off, not sliding off. Is there some idiot mistake I'm not checking? I scoured the internet and couldn't find even one other instance of this issue. Any thoughts?

most U notch mags are not full metal lined so they will bulge. The newer square notch mags are full metal lined and will still bulge a little. This is why the square notch fetch a premium and are harder to come by. They should just slide over the flared part where the old base plates came off of and are held in place by the pin. The ones I had fit pretty tight and never had an issue with them, but they were square notch mags.

Last edited:
1) The TTI +6 base pads are for G17 mags. The TTI +5 base pads are for G19 mags. It reads like you're using a G17 TTI & spring on a G19 mag. So that's not going to work well in that combination.

2) The U notch ones are pretty much the worst Glock mags. Near unusable.

3) Probably best not to test your funky mag and cycle rounds in the kitchen.

Good luck.

Ok. So in a nut shell, you're all right. First off, Taran Tactical support got back to me after I showed them a picture of the mags. Their official answer is that their baseplates are not meant to be installed on U-Notch. I explained to them that this was not mentioned anywhere on the order page. Only says Glock OEM double stack mags as the requirement. They said they will offer a refund if the base plates are still resellable.

The non-full metal liner is probably the issue, as the base bulges in the middle, which actually compressed each end, making the cap pop off. This has actually damaged my pre-ban mags too (f**k!, they weren't cheap!).

Lastly, TomMontana, you were right. I mislabled my extensions. +4/5 (not the 5/6). So the 20 rds I had in there was the limit. Still, I didn't exceed 20rds, so this is purely a compatibility issue. Thanks for the feedback guys.

All may not be lost. I got mag extensions for my U notch pre-ban so I could get more rounds into my 9mm Sub2k. I did a bit of research and found that Taylor Freelance made some extensions that worked with older gen mags. I got the Delrin +8 extensions as pictured below. I don't know how Taran Tactical extensions are installed but Taylor Freelance ones have a plate on the the back that you screw on. A little bit of loctite and it's not going anywhere. Note, however, there are a couple different iterations of the U notch design. My extensions only worked with one kind.

If you think these may work for you then you'll want to contact Taylor Freelance directly and confirm they still have extensions for older mags. I bought the last couple from directly Robin Taylor (he's the owner of the company) back in 2012. He was considering making more but there wasn't a lot of demand at the time. I've got his email if you want to contact Robin.

w6smV6Q.jpg

TWcmXbK.jpg

That might work, as the plate would prevent the plastic from flexing enough to allow for it to pop out of the baseplate. Funny--I'm trying to do the exact same thing with a Sub2k. Good advise!

Sorry to beat this topic to death, but I just found out (the hard way) another bit of weirdness. I really should have read up on this topic before I ventured with pre-bans, as I now see that there are discussions about this already. Yes, I'm stupid and way too eager.

Turns out that early gen pre-ban U-notch magazines are shorter than current gen. I went ahead and ordered one of those Taylor Freelance extensions. That part works like a charm. Their design keeps the base of the mag from bowing, preventing it from popping off. I was ecstatic, until I tried to shoe it in. It just won't catch with a Sub2k wtih Glock 19 handle. I compared the U-notch with a new 10rd mag. From the follower to the mag cutout, the magazines are identical. However, from the magazine cut out to the bottom of the mag, the pre-ban is nearly 4mm too short. So now I left with three options: 1) Shave off the bottom of the Sub2k, 2) get Glock 17 pre-bans and install extensions, or 3) just forget about the whole thing and stick with the 10rd mags. This was a tough lesson in researching before getting ahead of yourself.

I had the same issue as you but luckily I had a few different U notch mags to try the extensions on. There are at least two, maybe three, different U notch designs. Reference the below picture. Which one do you have from left to right? I have the 3rd from the left U notch, which is the "newest" iteration. These may fit the extension you just bought without needing to shave your Sub2k. See the "shoulder" of the 3rd from the left? The left side is high like the newer drop free mag. I'm not absolutely sure, however, because I bought extensions that were specifically made for older gen mags from Taylor Freelance.

NRSjJOI.jpg

EDIT - Worst case scenario you pick up a G17 pre ban. Don't shave your Sub2k.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Fred. I must have the second in from the left then. I just thought a Glock 19 mag would work in a Glock 19 handle, but the generations aspect never occurred to me. Were gen 1/2 Glocks shorter in the handle?

I think I'm going to take your advise and not shave down the Sub2k, as that would mean an even bigger gap when using newer 10rd mags. I suppose any Glock 17 should work though, as they're longer than G19 mags, right? Pissed that I dumped a pretty penny on these G19 mags though. Money in the hands of a fool, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom