• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tannerite in NH

So I appologize if there is already a topic somewhere on this, but I searched long and hard across the entire internet and could not find clear answers. If there is already info on this somewhere please link it.

Anyways, as I said, I have done in depth searching of the internet to find any laws or legal information regarding the use of tannerite in NH. So far I have found a few things, though nothing to back up any of these claims. So this is just what I have read, it may not be factual.
- Tannerite is legal for use in NH and is sold at gun stores
- The same laws that apply to fireworks apply to tannerite
- Tannerite must be detonated a minimum of 1000 feet from a permanent residence (not sure about this one)
- No more than 50 lbs of tannerite can be mixed at any 1 time
- Mixed tannerite may not be transported
- Tannerite can not be stored in a mixed state for more than 24 hours

This is what I was able to find in general, I am not sure which applies to NH.

I ask because my buddy has been using exploisive targets in the range we set up in his back yard a legal distance from his home. He has been using them pretty frequently as much as every weekend or 2. This past weekend I purchased my first gun and went over to give it a go and we shot some explosive targets, to be greeted by a law enforment officer when we walked back to his house. The officer demanded out personal information so he could "report that he said something to us" but that was all we gave him. He verified that the shooting was legal, however he insisted that the tannerite was not and that we need to stop immediately. My friend tried to argue the point with this officer, however the officer said the laws are not the same for tannerite as guns, and that he had been receiving many, many, complaints from neighbors even some in the neighboring town and that if my buddy used the tannerite again, he would come and arrest him for criminal mischeif and disturbing the peace. Then the officer left after reemphisizing that it was illegal and we were to stop immediately.

So, what do you guys/gals know about tannerite?

Also try to only give information that can be backed up somehow. I am trying to collect the factual information so I can make it available to anybody.

Want legal advice? Get a lawyer.

Looking at the list you posted above, I see a mix of rumors, wise safety advice, and the Federal regulations around Tannerite. I'm not aware of any New Hampshire laws that would apply specifically to exploding targets, but "using them pretty frequently" could certainly fall under "disturbing the peace" (Disordly conduct, RSA 644:2), "Making loud or unreasonable noises in a public place, or making loud or unreasonable noises in a private place which can be heard in a public place or other private places, which noises would disturb a person of average sensibilities", but see also http://www.gonh.org/articles

"Criminal Mischief" is defined in RSA 634:2, and seems inapplicable?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, I agree with the sound thing and could see why the neighbors would be pissed about it. But I feel like the cop was trying to intimidate/scare us, and had no actual knowledge on the use of tannerite.

However he does have the noise complaints on his side. And my same friend was told over a year ago not to shoot off fireworks for at least a year because he was dealing with noise complaint issues from setting off cheap/discounted fireworks every other night.

Thank you for the reply, I agree with the sound thing and could see why the neighbors would be pissed about it. But I feel like the cop was trying to intimidate/scare us, and had no actual knowledge on the use of tannerite.

However he does have the noise complaints on his side. And my same friend was told over a year ago not to shoot off fireworks for at least a year because he was dealing with noise complaint issues from setting off cheap/discounted fireworks every other night.

Sounds like your friend has a history of annoying the neighbors with noise- and they call the cops who are now annoyed because they have to deal with it and your friend hasn't yet taken a hint.

The cop maybe full of it on the law regarding use of tannerite but be assured if he has to keep coming back because of noise complaints he will find something that sticks- and maybe find other things too.

If you act like an ass all the time you should expect you'll be under a lot of scrutiny- and nobody will cut you any slack.

Tannerite is legal to buy, sell and use in NH period. That being said, the noise from the explosion is loud and will carry. If I was relaxing on the weekend or in the evening, the last thing I would want to hear is constant explosions coming from a neighbor. What he is doing on a regular basis is disturbing the peace of his neighbors. If he shoots Tannerite on a regular bases I assume he is shooting guns on a regular basis. Even though you and I enjoy the sound of gunfire, I'm not sure we would enjoy it so much if the "range" was in ear shot of our homes. I think the police has been over to his house before and is tired of the complaints so he up the game and now is promising arrest if it continues. Been in that place before and can say I don't blame the neighbors or the cop is the noise is constant and he has no respect for people that live around him...

Ok thank you again guys. I agree and have told him before, the neighbors don't mind the shooting but I even agreed with the cop that I would be annoyed about explosions. I completely understand that, and he rides dirtbikes around his yard year round, shoots guns year round, and in general is not the type of person I would like to live near, though he has no immediate neighbors and is pretty far in the woods, he does generate enough noise to be annoying and I ask him all the time if it is a problem with the neighbors and he does not seem to care much. So I will continue to hang out with him, but I will be sure to make sure he is aware of the possible ramifications of his noise, doubt he will care much though.

Anyways, thank you all for clarifying, I was more so trying to figure out if anything the officer was telling us about tannerite specifically is true, or if he was just feeding us a bunch of crap to get us to stop. I do not plan on partaking in any tannerite usage at his house to keep myself out of trouble.

I ask because my buddy has been using exploisive targets in the range we set up in his back yard a legal distance from his home. He has been using them pretty frequently as much as every weekend or 2. This past weekend I purchased my first gun and went over to give it a go and we shot some explosive targets, to be greeted by a law enforment officer when we walked back to his house. The officer demanded out personal information so he could "report that he said something to us" but that was all we gave him. He verified that the shooting was legal, however he insisted that the tannerite was not and that we need to stop immediately. My friend tried to argue the point with this officer, however the officer said the laws are not the same for tannerite as guns, and that he had been receiving many, many, complaints from neighbors even some in the neighboring town and that if my buddy used the tannerite again, he would come and arrest him for criminal mischeif and disturbing the peace. Then the officer left after reemphisizing that it was illegal and we were to stop immediately.

. . .

I was more so trying to figure out if anything the officer was telling us about tannerite specifically is true, or if he was just feeding us a bunch of crap to get us to stop.
Half of what the officer said was crap. Disorderly conduct (RSA 644:2) applies, but not Criminal Mischief (RSA 634:2).

Aside from not knowing the definition of Criminal Mischief, the officer seems pretty cool, confirming that it is A-OK to shoot but not cool to continually blow stuff up, and then not getting all "Respect my authoritay!" when your friend tried to argue the point.

Back
Top Bottom