• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tandemkross Ruger MK III Victory Trigger

I just installed this new trigger from Tandemkross:

https://www.tandemkross.com/Victory-Trigger-for-the-Ruger-MKIII-2245-by-TANDEMKROSS_p_197.html

I thought I would like the flat trigger face instead of the curved style like the stock or volquartsen ones.

It is listed as just for the 22/45. They say the reason is because the regular MK III has a smaller trigger guard so if you have large fingers you might not have enough clearance.

I got two triggers, one textured and one smooth.

MK III before (had full Volquartsen kit installed):

h6vHqse.jpg

I'm not sure if Tandemkross is aware of this problem, or maybe it just so happened to be a problem with only with mine, but after installing the new trigger it would not fire at all even with no overtravel screw. The backside of the trigger was contacting the frame in the back of the slot for the trigger.

So, after a few minutes with a dremel and file (note the shiny area on the trigger on the left):

K6cLEhT.jpg

After that modification it worked. Here it is after installation (below). It may look like there is not too much clearance to the front of the trigger guard, but it worked just fine for me. I guess if you have sausage fingers it may not have worked.

hFTF012.jpg

At this point I thought the pre-travel set screw was way to short and would not allow me take up enough slack in the trigger.
I went to hardware stores searching for the appropriate size screw with no luck. Then I asked them (Tandemkross) and they replied that it is a 5-40 screw and that is in fact listed in the instructions... Go figure. I've taken my MK III apart so many times I didn't bother to look at the instructions. Also go figure that every hardware store near me stocks 4-40 and 6-48, no 5-40 (wtf...).

Well anyways I finally decided that before trying to order some screws I would see how far I could really turn it... turns out I was being a little too conservative and was able to turn it even to the point where the trigger would not reset. I still think it could use a longer screw for the MK III though.... probably only have a couple threads holding it in.

Here is what it looks like with pre-travel appropriately adjusted:

K7iI43j.jpg

There is quite a bit more clearance to the front of the trigger guard now.

And here is what it looks like installed in a 22/45 (had only Volquartsen sear installed and Tandemkross hammer bushing to remove mag safety):
The pre-travel screw did not need to be seated as far in for the 22/45 as it did for the MK III. I also did not need to grind down the backside of the trigger to make it work. I guess that is not surprising since its advertised as for the 22/45.

y9HfBN0.jpg

Haven't had a chance to shoot with it too much yet, but so far I am happy with it.

Also, I think my MK III with the full volquartsen kit has only a very slightly better trigger than the 22/45 with just the Volquartsen sear. The 22/45 might have tiny bit more creep to it. Kind of hard to say for sure though.

Range Report... OMG I love this Victory Trigger. I fired 250+ rounds and the textured area was not coarse enough as to cause any discomfort to the pad of my finger. The texture helped my finger stay in place giving repeatable performance. It was fairly simple to adjust the set screws properly. After a flawless range time I did a basic field strip to clean the barrel. While I had it apart I was doing a light cleaning the lower and function testing as usual to see if there was any grit in the moving parts, when squeezing the trigger I found the sear would not move far enough forward to release the hammer. Note, this would only happen when the barrel was separated from the grip. I took it apart and reassembled double checking several times. I may have to adjust a tad bit more over travel into the trigger. Maybe 1/8th of a turn? It really isn't an issue so we shall see.
Overall... First time purchasing from TK. Good communications and quick service. USPS got it to me fast also. I will give this trigger an A+. Great job Tandemkross.

While I had it apart I was doing a light cleaning the lower and function testing as usual to see if there was any grit in the moving parts, when squeezing the trigger I found the sear would not move far enough forward to release the hammer. Note, this would only happen when the barrel was separated from the grip. I took it apart and reassembled double checking several times. I may have to adjust a tad bit more over travel into the trigger. Maybe 1/8th of a turn? It really isn't an issue so we shall see.

With my MK III disassembled I need to push up on the hammer from essentially the same angle that the mainspring would be (i.e. from up and behind the grip) in order to get it to disengage from the sear. It can seem a little deceptive when trying to function test while it is apart. Definitely related to having the overtravel set screw right on the edge - this was the case for me previously with the volquartsen trigger as well. Unless your hammer is not falling every time you pull the trigger under normal operation (with gun put back together) I would not worry about it at all.

Also, I've been using my MK III with the victory trigger installed without any more modification/tweaking since the initial post. I have had no issues and am still happy with it.

Thanks Jeff, This is the first adjustable trigger I've set up in a long time and the first on a MKIII. Function testing with the barrel removed from the grip assembly made me question the issue. Assembled it is working great. I'll keep plugging away at the target practice.

Just picked up a Mark III and so far I really like it. Have always stuck with a stock shooter bt I wanted to ask as a novice, What was the advantage you were looking for in changing the trigger? Shorter throw? easier recovery? Also, where did you find that grip?
Thanks !

Just picked up a Mark III and so far I really like it. Have always stuck with a stock shooter bt I wanted to ask as a novice, What was the advantage you were looking for in changing the trigger? Shorter throw? easier recovery? Also, where did you find that grip?
Thanks !
I have always enjoyed a really nice clean breaking trigger pull. I started shooting this pistol in the stock form right after I got it, and thought it was fairly good until I changed out the stock sear for a VQ one. At that point I decided to also swap out the trigger for a target one, but held off until TK had released their new addition to the market. Yes adjustable take-up and over travel were my primary reasons to start looking for one. The shorter throw and quicker recovery is an advantage I suppose. Years ago I used to shoot in a combat 22 league. It was centered around practicing for pseudo defense shooting. We shot for speed and accuracy. Shooting 22s made it both fun and cheap. As it turns out the Victory Trigger fills the bill and aids in consistent trigger control. All these things translate into accuracy with practice.
I got the grips from this E-bay store ... http://stores.ebay.com/costaricatreasurehouse?_trksid=p2047675.l2563&rmvSB=true They are really well made as well as good looking. They shipped them out quickly and I had them in hand in a little over a week. US Customs is where they spent most of the time in transit.

Thanks !

The grip on my MK III shown is the Volquartsen Volthane grip. Probably got it from Midway USA.

This trigger by itself will probably not substantially improve the trigger pull/break of an otherwise stock MK III. The volquartsen parts, or a gunsmith, are needed for that (Sear is the main one, but you can also get the hammer, trigger plunger & spring).
Compared to what I had before in my MK III the trigger break/pull didn't really change, nor did the pre/over travel as my previous volquartsen trigger had those adjustments as well.

There were a few reasons I got the tandemkross trigger to replace the volquartsen trigger:
As I said in the initial post, the volquartsen trigger is curved, whereas the tandemkross one is completely flat. I didn't really like the curved trigger as I felt it forced me to have to pull right in the center of the trigger as opposed to maybe a little bit lower.

Another thing was that the volquartsen trigger has a completely smooth surface, and I thought I had trouble picking a consistent spot on the trigger as well as keeping it in one spot while shooting - so that is why I got the textured trigger. I got the smooth tandemkross one as well as a backup in case I decided the textured one was too rough, and figured I would just install whichever I didn't like for my bullseye gun in to my 22/45.

It's an interesting looking trigger and glad it is working out for you. Just installed a Volquartsen trigger, sear and bushing on my 22/45 and the break is crisp and clean once I set the screws properly. Though it would be interesting to find out which one is better overall.

I really like the flat face of the trigger. The more I shoot with it I'm finding the consistency of my finger placement has improved both my accuracy and control. There are a couple guys on another forum that had VQ triggers that were swapped out for the Victory, one liked the smooth face one liked the textured. Both guys were sold on the design and very happy with their purchases. So far I haven't heard of anyone out there that has not liked the Victory. I suppose one has to be an adventurist to try new and different things in the first place. Being new it takes people a little time to get the feel of a product and decide if it is for them or not. It could be that there may be someone who doesn't like it out there but hasn't spoken up yet. For me, I took to it right away. The Victory trigger is light years ahead of the stock Ruger offering, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom