• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Talon rubber, granulated, or stippling

Looking to put a grip on my Shield. Don't want something that is gonna grab my skin or clothes. I use a Harwell appendix holster with combat cut. Any other suggestions I'll take as well.

I have a talon on my kahr p9. I love it. Definitely a marked improvement. If you want a cheap fix, try cutting a bike tube up. I have that on my glock 17. Looks and is cheap, but it's really effective.

I had the rough textured one on my shied not good for me for CC so I took it off . I didn't like the feel against my fat stomach lol

I use Traction Grips on my PM9. As its my carry piece, I didn't want it grabbing my cotton tees and such so I opted for the rubberized over the granulated. It works well.

I didn't like the rubber talon grips(especially when they started to shift - yes I put them on correctly), the sandpaper ones are good but grab everything, I ended up using the bike tire tube - works good for me. Buddy of mine used tennis racket tape on his Shield, says he likes it so far...

Had the granulated grip it was not good for cc. I know have a houge hand all Jr on my shield and so far so good.

Tapatalk Galaxy S4

I've got the rubber Talons on my SR9c and I love them. I don't know what happened with OilSpill's grips, but mine are staying rock solid. Marked improvement in the feel while shooting and they don't grab my clothing/skin. I'll be using them on other CCWs.

I put the granulated Talon grips on my shield. I love the way they felt in my hand but they were so "grippy" that my shirt would stick to the grip and would print and it was a bitch to draw from the holster because my shirt was stuck to the grip. After only walking around my house with the grips on I had to take them off.
I carry IWB.

I didn't like the rubber talon grips(especially when they started to shift - yes I put them on correctly), the sandpaper ones are good but grab everything, I ended up using the bike tire tube - works good for me. Buddy of mine used tennis racket tape on his Shield, says he likes it so far...

I keep hearing about the bike tire tube and skateboard grip tape.

UPDATE:

Went with the inner tube. $4.00 and 5 minutes. Looks good, feels good. Check out the pics.

e4epe2e9.jpg
ete4usam.jpg

See if Brooks tactical makes one of their Agrips for your model. I have them on several pistols and really like them a lot.

I prefer stippling. One drawback with rubber is that it tends to stick to your hand. If you get a bad grab it is difficult to change your grip.

I use Traction Grips on my PM9. As its my carry piece, I didn't want it grabbing my cotton tees and such so I opted for the rubberized over the granulated. It works well.

Have had the rubber grips for about a week without any problems I carry this gun everyday. I know its not a long time but so far so good.

I prefer the "rubberized" versions, and have them on several guns now. The granulated ones are just too "aggressive" for my liking. I did have occasion to try out the Tractiongrip offerings recently, as they were the only ones to have one for the SCCY PX-2. They seem to be equal to the Talons from what I can see.

A member from Dracut, Tony2Times, does a great stipple job. I usually hate stipple but I had him do my Shield and it came out nice. Not too rough, kinda like a light sand paper. PM him if you want a nice job. Of course you need a pic. This is his gun. Nice, huh?

2cdvreb.jpg

Dunno about that part. [laugh]

What?? You don't like? It's like Talon but better! Haha

A member from Dracut, Tony2Times, does a great stipple job. I usually hate stipple but I had him do my Shield and it came out nice. Not too rough, kinda like a light sand paper. PM him if you want a nice job. Of course you need a pic. This is his gun. Nice, huh?

2cdvreb.jpg

Is that the Tony who does the safety classes? How is the Stipple IWB? Does it catch your shirt or rub your skin raw?

What?? You don't like? It's like Talon but better! Haha

Is that the Tony who does the safety classes? How is the Stipple IWB? Does it catch your shirt or rub your skin raw?

I don't know if Tony does safety classes but the stipple he does will not catch or irritate your skin. The finish comes out so nice you'd think it was factory.

I was having a problem with the Shield extended mag sleeve riding up on the mag and while I didn't like the Talon grips on the frame I kept the piece that wraps around the mag base plate and sleeve figuring it would hold the sleeve from riding up. I applied it with a heat gun per the instructions. Worked good for about a week:

IMG_20130905_204038_665_zps31b19b3f.jpg
IMG_20130905_204055_090_zps9a94ea6e.jpg

Thinking some gorilla glue might solve the problem of the sleeve moving. But this is what happened with the Talon grip on my Shield at the back of the frame where the seam ends up. I had ordered a rubber grip for my PM9 and after two range trips it's starting to crease on the right side.

Back
Top Bottom