• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Talon grip opinions?

reo

I'm thinking about getting a Talon grip for my S&W Shield and I was wondering what people think of them. Also, which texture? Granulate or Rubber?

I like them.... I use the rubber ones on a few of my handguns.

The granulate ones are really rough...think sandpaper or skateboard tape. would get old really quick rubbing against your skin on a CCW

I like the gritty tape but I haven't tried the rubber except for hogue and just made my G19 grip too thick.

Skip them and get the Hogue Handall grips instead.

I had gotten the 9mm Shield when it first came out. Great pistol, but just a little too small in the grip though. Added the rubber Talons and it was perfect!

Then, the G43 came out, sold the Shield (to NES'r of course). Put rubber Talons on the G43. Perfect again.

Now, just the other day, I put the Hogue Handall Beavertail grip on the G43. Even more perfect now. Had to take off the Talons, as these Handalls are tight fit to begin with. Never liked the look of the older Handalls (look like some thug gun), but with the beavertail they look and feel great.

https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/handall/beavertail

All just one opinion of course.

Thanks

Last edited:

Have you tried the Talons but prefer the Hogues? I'm looking at it now and I'm a bit concerned that it looks thicker. I'm not sure I wanna mess with how my hand wraps around the gun

Have you tried the Talons but prefer the Hogues? I'm looking at it now and I'm a bit concerned that it looks thicker. I'm not sure I wanna mess with how my hand wraps around the gun

Purely personal preference, no one here can say which is better for the you. Need to try both (Hogue first of course, to remove). Its only money and is just like holsters. This is the life we have chosen

They add a bit of thickness but they are so inexpensive it's worth the try. They won't peel like Talons can.

Added the rubber grips to my Walther PPS.

Didn't noticeably change the thickness of the grip and added a tackiness that made holding the pistol securely easier

I have the rubber Talons on my carry gun and the sandpaper grips on one of my range guns. Both serve a purpose. So far neither have peeled but I was sort of anal about the grip prep. I skipped the alcohol pads and just flooded the grip with IPA and scrubbed with a toothbrush. Twice. And then used the heat gun.

The fit of the Talons is excellent. Cut perfectly to fit and easy to install I use granulate for competition and love it. Wouldn't recommend for carry unless your into that whole scene.

I started with the rubber Talons but switched to aggregate because the grip was slipping in my hand when my hand was sweaty

Handalls can slip so I have no interest in them.

Talon Rubber for the WIN! I have them on my M&P 9mm Shield PC. Very happy with this. I was very careful on the prep and used a hair dryer to warm them up to set the adhesive as the instructions suggest. Working great for me.

DSCF1278_zpstyoxg4wt.jpg

I have the rubber on both my shield 9 and 45. makes a big difference, especially on the 45. that sucker was like sandpaper and was rubbing bad as a CCW. Talon grip fixed it.

Initially, I was drawn to the granulate one, just because it seems like it'll provide a better grip. But from what I've been reading, both here and elsewhere, is that most people use granulate for range guns/competitions, and rubber for CC.

Anybody carry concealed with granulate? Is it uncomfortable? Could it ruin my holster just from regular wear and tear? (I use an Alien Gear 3.0)

The problem with handalls is they have a grip swell on them and it makes the gun fatter. I lost track of how many of those things I've peeled off used glocks I bought and thrown in the trash or a junk box. If I find some in my
junk box I'll PM you and you can have em. [laugh]

-Mike

The problem with handalls is they have a grip swell on them and it makes the gun fatter. I lost track of how many of those things I've peeled off used glocks I bought and thrown in the trash or a junk box. If I find some in my

-Mike

Yeah they do add some thickness, but since the Shield is so thin to begin with it's not too much for my smaller hands.

I have both textures. Granulated (skateboard) for my sr9c, and I need to wear an under shirt or beater because it'll scratch the heck out of you, and it will wear out your shirt. But a great grip. I have the rubber one on my Glock 20 and it improved it greatly/ hugely. Recommend them for every pistol for sure.

-Mike

Thanks! I appreciate that! Is it universal? Will the same ones fit on a Shield?

Rubber! Have them on 3 of my Glocks.

I'd consider the Sand/Skate grip for a dedicated competition pistol. But so far using rubber on my competition G17 and the two carry Glocks.

Initially, I was drawn to the granulate one, just because it seems like it'll provide a better grip. But from what I've been reading, both here and elsewhere, is that most people use granulate for range guns/competitions, and rubber for CC.

Anybody carry concealed with granulate? Is it uncomfortable? Could it ruin my holster just from regular wear and tear? (I use an Alien Gear 3.0)
I use the granulate on a competition gun only. This example may help you decide...at a match, gun was holstered and I was wearing a fleece sweatshirt, pulled up the fleece and the gun wanted to come with it. My guess is that if I carried it and had a cotton polo over it I would have the same result. For that reason and it probably scraping skin I would not use it for carry.

Back
Top Bottom