Talk to me about rabbit housing

Well I have been trying to get the Mrs on board with raising rabbits for meat. The other day she found an abandoned bunny at her office and ended up bringing it home. Think it is a Rex/Dutch mix maybe ?? But now we need a hutch or tractor for it. A house bunny is not an option , we have a beagle , an old beagle but it can't be an indoor rabbit . I was thinking about tractoring it in the back yard but also think a hutch may be better for pellet collection for the garden. Anyone have thoughts ? I am thinking a hutch first then a tractor to cover both bases. I would think a hutch is going to be a need for winter. Hoping we gain some experience with this guy , and it leads to meat in the freezer down the road.

What's a tractor?

Can't really answer. Mine are indoor pets. Don't know what you really need; depends on how many rabbits you plan on raising and breeding. Obviously a larger breed for meat and fur. Tractor Supply would have most of what you need. The big one on the end is a Flemish Giant; she's 15 months and 17 pounds.
t

Attachments

• IMG_6028.jpg
    IMG_6028.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
The lady at the rabbit sanctuary said our spud got too excited around females and started to spray and be nutty. I'm still hoping someday we can find him a friend male or female who he gets along with after a few test dates.
Rabbits were only something I ate at game dinners until the woman just decided to bring one home but I'll admit they have a ton of attitude and spunk that is endearing and fun.

Now you done it.
A named rabbit never makes a good pie.

Depends on the name. Just name them blackened, stir fry, chicken fried, stewed, etc

if you are going to build an enclosure get some rabbit cage clips and a pair of the clip pliers. It is the best way to join chicken wire/rabbit cage wire. I used them to join the chicken wire on my blueberry enclosure.

Bob

The lady at the rabbit sanctuary said our spud got too excited around females and started to spray and be nutty. I'm still hoping someday we can find him a friend male or female who he gets along with after a few test dates.
Rabbits were only something I ate at game dinners until the woman just decided to bring one home but I'll admit they have a ton of attitude and spunk that is endearing and fun.
That surprised me the most, our pair of rabbits have made wonderful pets.

F252F40C-4C21-46F7-9767-51FA62C65F69.jpeg

He just sits there watching me make coffee every morning. Then takes off when I get close, and comes rushing back when he hears the treat bag.

A lot of info here (equipment, cost, experience):

Includes information on a double hutch. It was based on a book here: Amazon product ASIN 1580174566View: https://www.amazon.com/Barnyard-Your-Backyard-Beginners-Chickens/dp/1580174566

I did it for 4-5 years. It was fun but my time got compressed. I'll do it again when I retire.

There used to be a lot of good info on reddit but the forum got taken over by an anti-meat person. I haven't been there in years.

Started like this. Made a bunch of changes as I learned. Can’t find pics of the 4x8 runs I had out on the lawn that I moved twice a day that held up to 8 3-4 wk olds til they graduated to the freezer…

Attachments

• D4A5FDA1-4434-4E1E-B924-B0308E6A00A5.jpeg
    D4A5FDA1-4434-4E1E-B924-B0308E6A00A5.jpeg
    474.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 13EE541B-7647-489B-A441-37121B2D4B10.jpeg
    13EE541B-7647-489B-A441-37121B2D4B10.jpeg
    395.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 4634FF54-ACA2-4FD7-8ABD-709F824B28AB.jpeg
    4634FF54-ACA2-4FD7-8ABD-709F824B28AB.jpeg
    430.4 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom