• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Talk to me about pouring lead

peterk123

NES Member
You guys got me intrigued about making bullets. I just went through loading (and shooting off a bunch of it already) 250 405 grain 45-70s like nothing. The hitek coated bullet is costing me $46 (plus shipping) for 200. These things are a big chunk of lead and it sounds like the perfect candidate for making them at home. What would I need to get setup and how does one get the hardness right? Is applying the coating easy? I am assuming it is done in the oven. Will my wife divorce me for baking bullets in the kitchen?

Thanks

Pete

Last edited:
There are good cast bullet handbooks from Lyman & the NRA.
be sure there are no traces of moisture when you add material to the pot of molten stuff....(don't want steam explosions)

There are good cast bullet handbooks from Lyman & the NRA.
be sure there are no traces of moisture when you add material to the pot of molten stuff....(don't want steam explosions)
That is a good tip. On Amazon now looking :) Christ, you guys are really tough on the wallet. A couple of years ago I swore I would only reload for a couple of rounds. I am up to five so far. Now I am looking at pouring. This is just getting out of hand.

@Michael J. Spangler put together a great seminar with @BillNed @1919FAN and others. @pastera and @mac1911 are also very knowledgeable and can provide advice.
The above thread lists some equipment to consider and good resources. Plus the pics. I am glad i got into it but still collecting the tools and lead. Made my 1st ignots on Sunday. Picking up 3 production pots on Saturday. Easy to catch the bug. Good luck.

Pete you can get into it on the cheap or go hog wild just like reloading.
Lee 2 cavity 405 grain mould. $20
Salvaged stainless or cast iron pot ($5 if you have to buy one at a junk store)
@pastera has a nice mod for the $10 was mart hot plates so they will heat up enough to melt lead.
$10 for a lee ladle
$16 or so for a lee sizer
$5 for a lee liquid alox

You're good to go!

If you want to coat the bullets you will need to buy some coating
$11 for 3.5 ounce which is enough to make 500ML of coating.
You use 1 ML per pound of bullets. 2 Coats.
So 250 pounds of bullets or 4500 of your 405 grain bullets.

Then you need a $40 or so convection toaster oven (or a $5 oven from savers) and some wire mesh trays which can be made from a $10 sheet of expanded wire from home depot. These sheet are something like 3'X8'
Do not cook this stuff in your home oven. If your wife doesn't kill you the smell will. Bring the toaster oven outside or in a garage and cook bullets out there.

So say $60 to $100 for a basic set up.

When I teach friends one on one and they don't care to get into smelting. They want to buy ready to go ingots I spend 5 minutes going over safety and another 5 minutes casting to show them the ropes. They i let them have at it.
I feel like a good part of casting is actual experience and getting a feel for temps and cadence. The technical stuff is pretty easy to read up on but the hands on experience is what separates the men from the boys.

With 45/70 don't worry about alloy. With smokeless it will shoot any alloy you can get your hands on, especially with the coating. The coating lets your use softer alloys without getting leading. 45/70 is a low pressure cartridge with a slow twist and is so forgiving.

A super cheap toaster oven will work fine if you don't mind a color change in your coatings - $10 second hand Or $25 new

2 quart Dutch oven with lid - $20 Amazon or $23 at Walmart. Lid is handy to keep the heat in. A 1 quart will work if you can find one cheap (1 quart of lead is a lot)

Single burner hotplate $13 at Walmart - file off the stop on the temp control. Once you do that, one full turn from off is usually the right temp

Two channel thermocouple meter from Amazon $16 - makes life much easier.

A mold and ladle will set you back another $30

If you're close to Taunton, pick up a mold and you can cast and coat a few hundred to try it out.
I don't have a .458 sizing die so you would need to pick one up if the mold dropped too large

Thank you guys for the info. @pastera, I may take you up on your offer at some point.

So, if I did the math correctly, I would need almost 12 pounds of lead to make 200 405 grain bullets. 200 bullets currently cost me $46, so the ability the find lead for a $1 per pound would be key. That takes some creativity. Time to research where I can fin inexpensive lead, since retail type sources would run my 3 bucks per pound.

Thank you guys for the info. @pastera, I may take you up on your offer at some point.

So, if I did the math correctly, I would need almost 12 pounds of lead to make 200 405 grain bullets. 200 bullets currently cost me $46, so the ability the find lead for a $1 per pound would be key. That takes some creativity. Time to research where I can fin inexpensive lead, since retail type sources would run my 3 bucks per pound.
You become a scrounger. Since the seminar, I have collected about 15lbs without trying hard and although that isn't a lot it is free bullets.
-Pulled bullets from mistakes
-Reclaimed bullets from berms
-Scrap Yard
-Online vendors
-Wheel weights
-Lead flashing
-Lead pipes
-Window weights
-Divers Weights
-Xray lining

Good luck

If you want to try your hand at smelting wheel weights I can give you some , im in hanover.
you will need to sort them from the steel and zinc.
You can find lead right on the ground of the pistol ranges. Or ask your club manager if you can remove lead from indoor range.
i started with what i had on hand.
Coleman camp stove and 8" high side frying pan and a gravy ladle.
Check local gun clubs for sale boards.
depending on where you are South Shore Tactical has a large selection of used bullet molds at great prices. Some are hard to find out of production Lyman, RCBS,Ideal ect. Bill is great to deal with.

Casting is much like reloading. If your looking at is as "saving" money your most likey going to eventually see you dont really save you just shoot more per $. Plus the time you put into . If i could find a way to make $15hr or so for the time i spend casting and reloading I might just buy all my ammo.
i do 90% of casting and reloading between 9pm 12m.
The thing about casting and reloading is you get to make exactly what you want when you want it.
not what is in stock somewhere.
I was driven to reloading when 223 was .13 rnd but finding more than a few hundred rounds at anyone store was not easy.

Last edited:

A good source:
$67 for 50lbs shipped
$1.34/lb for clean range lead (I add 1% tin for easier mold fill)
Local scrap yards are cheaper but hit-or-miss on what they have and you have to clean it up

A good source:
$67 for 50lbs shipped
Local scrap yards are cheaper but hit-or-miss on what they have and you have to clean it up
Well worth the $ when you’re first starting out.
Just make sure to ask everyone you know for scrap lead. I’ve been amazed at the sources. My old barber had 250 pound waiting for me one day. Roofers, masons, carpenters

Turkey fryer, dutch oven, ice fishing hole scoop, flux, ingot mold.
RCBS bottom pour melting pot, molds, sizer, lube, and load.
A friend has literally a ton of ingots. He shot lots of 45/70 from a Contender.

Attachments

• 20200213_131211.jpg
    20200213_131211.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 20200213_131222.jpg
    20200213_131222.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200213_131148.jpg
    20200213_131148.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200213_131158.jpg
    20200213_131158.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 22
  • 20200213_131327.jpg
    20200213_131327.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 21
  • 20200213_131254.jpg
    20200213_131254.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
A good source:
$67 for 50lbs shipped
These guys selling for $1-ish /# must be sitting on 10s of thousands of pounds. I have sold ignots to people for $1lb but no way would I do pack it up and ship it unless a have a mountain of free lead and a commercial furnace

You become a scrounger. Since the seminar, I have collected about 15lbs without trying hard and although that isn't a lot it is free bullets.
-Pulled bullets from mistakes
-Reclaimed bullets from berms
-Scrap Yard
-Online vendors
-Wheel weights
-Lead flashing
-Lead pipes
-Window weights
-Divers Weights
-Xray lining

Good luck
Window weights? The ones that I have seen look to be rusty. Are they also made of lead, or maybe a mixture? Think I saw some free somewhere . Thanks

another good book is Lee 1st plenty of good info.
often a overload of info.

C.E. Harris has several good write ups on cast loads also.

Well worth the $ when you’re first starting out.
Just make sure to ask everyone you know for scrap lead. I’ve been amazed at the sources. My old barber had 250 pound waiting for me one day. Roofers, masons, carpenters
Eventually you will build a network of lead.
even though I work at a auto shop the wheel weights take a long while to pile up. Still see lead but its about 30% lead 40% steel 20% zinc 10% other these days .
I found a few people that I can rely on for lead.
friend gives me all the lead flashing he picks up on job sights( i found a roll in the street while back) one friend gave me a box of 60/40 solder thats a huge score for tin. I lost my lead for zinc guy. He traded me his lead for my zinc. He made projectiles for his cannons/guns from zinc.
i have another guy who trades his lead for my junk brass. We check the scrap prices on a app and trade on lb values. Hes due to show up soon.
He also trades for good brass. He likes all the straight wall rifle stuff .
Flux tip. Yard sales you see alot of candle holders ask about the candles even broken or "burnt out" ones. The older folks know the value of bees wax so dont be surprised at some of the prices.
If you have a local honey guy ask him about bees wax.

Back
Top Bottom