• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Desert Eagle Megathread…

Its because you didn't use a moonclip. Without the moonclip, the rounds sit too far from the pin.

Well thats a relief! I had them in the case but ran out quick and tossed it in my case club case so didnt have them. I have fired other revolvers that use moon clips and they have fired just didnt realize the 929 needed it.

Thanks for the help!

Well thats a relief! I had them in the case but ran out quick and tossed it in my case club case so didnt have them. I have fired other revolvers that use moon clips and they have fired just didnt realize the 929 needed it.

Thanks for the help!
Thank whoever is the A**hole at SW that made that stupid desicion. Probably the same person that put .357 cylinders in a 9mm.

Picked her up this morning. What. A. Beauty. And holy crap is it massive. It was actually a lot bigger than I thought (giggity...)
E26DCF5D-ADEB-48CD-81C8-E402A35B805B.jpeg
I had my wife hold it for scale since she’s 5 foot with tiny hands. Just hilarious.
3F87DD4B-3265-4A11-81B7-136C4AECAB81.jpeg

I replaced the recoil springs and cleaned up the mags (one was rotten inside) and hit the range. To my dismay it was a single shot gun. Would not extract the cases. Then I looked at the extractor and there was ZERO tension so I knew it was the extractor spring.

Got home and realized the previous owner peened the slide against the firing pin stop which made removing the firing pin and bolt, a joy..🙄. Thank god I had a vise and could tap the pin stop down from the slide.
600A54FE-033B-460A-82A9-06D162EB95BF.jpeg
Got the bolt out and holy shit was it rotten along with the extractor and inside the slide. Oh, and the rubber extractor spring/plunger thingy was completely destroyed 🤣

At that point I replaced the firing pin spring and the extractor spring/plunger thingy. Went back to the range and it functioned just fine. Except after 10-20 rounds the gun would not lock back with an empty mag. Even just cycling the slide with a empty mag will not lock it open. So I need to play around with the mags and slide stop I guess.

And I was DETERMINED to get my primary arms red dot to fit. So I whipped out the Dremel and went full retard Bubba removing material from the underside of the red dot🤣🤣
It actually worked. Just need to sight it in tomorrow.
D1A84717-08CB-4DD7-9048-386737E6CD3C.jpeg
792793AE-6B80-40AE-974E-17C7C11A4A5C.jpeg

I have to admit it was fun to shoot but my reloads are HOT and I started to feel it in my hand after 40 rounds🤣
I doubt Ill be shooting more than 50 rounds per range trip with this monster.

It will take some practice gripping it as you can’t do the high thumbs forward grip. Took some skin off my thumb in the process...🤣
BE74886D-6DB1-4785-82B9-948B7483A5FD.jpeg

Wow.

That's quite an adventure! But now you know why people love and hate these things so much.

Happy NGD!

Wow.

That's quite an adventure! But now you know why people love and hate these things so much.

Happy NGD!
Yeah buying one used is especially risky. Mine just needed new springs and a cleaning. But I can see how some people would get turned off if they’re not comfortable tinkering with guns.

Last edited:
FYI ... if, for any reason, you need to send it back, MR is great to deal with and their prices are not unreasonable.

When I sent my blown up gun, including the shipping label, it wasnt bad, something like $260-280 (price is in my thread). And that was to replace a bunch of parts and a new barrel.

Anyway... we will have to have a Magnum Research get together and shoot.

FYI ... if, for any reason, you need to send it back, MR is great to deal with and their prices are not unreasonable.

When I sent my blown up gun, including the shipping label, it wasnt bad, something like $260-280 (price is in my thread). And that was to replace a bunch of parts and a new barrel.

Anyway... we will have to have a Magnum Research get together and shoot.
That’s awesome. I was concerned I might have to send it back when I couldn’t get the firing pin stop out. But just took some firm blows with my plastic bullet puller hammer 🤣

And yes me you @Rockrivr1 @Rocco Mozz and anyone else with MR guns need to meet up.

Fun stuff!
Nice day for the range.
New Mag springs and maybe followers for the slide lock problem, would be my guess.
Yeah good call. Probably is the followers. The spring kit only came with one mag spring so I couldn’t only change out one of the 3 mags. That didn’t seem to work so that leaves the followers I guess. Just weird how they worked initially.

Nice first day! Glad to hear you didn’t have any going into battery issues. I had a mag not holding the slide open after the last shot. Changed the mag spring and it works fine now.

Got home and realized the previous owner peened the slide against the firing pin stop which made removing the firing pin and bolt, a joy..🙄. Thank god I had a vise and could tap the pin stop down from the slide.
View attachment 458440
Got the bolt out and holy shit was it rotten along with the extractor and inside the slide. Oh, and the rubber extractor spring/plunger thingy was completely destroyed 🤣

At that point I replaced the firing pin spring and the extractor spring/plunger thingy. Went back to the range and it functioned just fine. Except after 10-20 rounds the gun would not lock back with an empty mag. Even just cycling the slide with a empty mag will not lock it open. So I need to play around with the mags and slide stop I guess.
Sorry for your frustrations. This is the #1 reason I will NEVER buy a used gun sight unseen. I either buy new , or I buy used from LGS's . I pay a little more but i'm fine with that. If there's an issue (and i've had a few) I have a place and a face to fall back on locally. Seems in my experiences either you find a used MINT barely fired gun, or you find a jam-o-matic that clearly the p/o had problems with. Flawless shooters with a lot of rounds fired seems to be the keepers that don't get traded. So my next question is why the hell would you "peen" the firing pin stop ?? That seems to potentially do more harm than good because if you don't allow the firing pin stop to "float" you could introduce friction to the firing pin causing it to jam ? Maybe there's a reason but i'm not understanding it. DE's NEED to be kept super clean for best reliability, and don't use grease. I use Mobil 1 oil IMO . If you can find factory Magtech 240 JSP's that factory ammo hands down runs the best in my DE44 . If you have any specific questions PM me and maybe I can help.

Sorry for your frustrations. This is the #1 reason I will NEVER buy a used gun sight unseen. I either buy new , or I buy used from LGS's . I pay a little more but i'm fine with that. If there's an issue (and i've had a few) I have a place and a face to fall back on locally. Seems in my experiences either you find a used MINT barely fired gun, or you find a jam-o-matic that clearly the p/o had problems with. Flawless shooters with a lot of rounds fired seems to be the keepers that don't get traded. So my next question is why the hell would you "peen" the firing pin stop ?? That seems to potentially do more harm than good because if you don't allow the firing pin stop to "float" you could introduce friction to the firing pin causing it to jam ? Maybe there's a reason but i'm not understanding it. DE's NEED to be kept super clean for best reliability, and don't use grease. I use Mobil 1 oil IMO . If you can find factory Magtech 240 JSP's that factory ammo hands down runs the best in my DE44 . If you have any specific questions PM me and maybe I can help.
Yeah this was a HUGE gamble. I missed out on a brand new DE brushed chrome model for just $100 more a couple weeks ago - sucks.

But after a spring change and a good cleaning this seems to be running just fine. I think I had 1 failure to extract out of the 40 rounds yesterday. Definitely could have been my grip or possibly the ammo. I noticed that the unburned powder that's left in the bore would create little pock marks on the brass. Since the brass expands to the chamber, any material sandwiched between the brass and bore will leave an imprint on the brass. I think I'll make sure to take a boresnake with me to the range so I can swab it out every 20-30 rounds or so. Though I don't think that's completely necessary.

And yes I don't know why the F they would peen the firing pin stop. My guess is that maybe it was loose and falling out during recoil?? Though I doubt that because it took some good effort to punch it back into the slide. I could not simply push it in by hand.

I'm just using Slip 2000 EWL oil. The previous owner had the bolt and firing pin soaked in oil which seems like a bad idea. I'm only lubing the rail and a light coating of oil on the bolt.

Yeah this was a HUGE gamble. I missed out on a brand new DE brushed chrome model for just $100 more a couple weeks ago - sucks.

But after a spring change and a good cleaning this seems to be running just fine. I think I had 1 failure to extract out of the 40 rounds yesterday. Definitely could have been my grip or possibly the ammo. I noticed that the unburned powder that's left in the bore would create little pock marks on the brass. Since the brass expands to the chamber, any material sandwiched between the brass and bore will leave an imprint on the brass. I think I'll make sure to take a boresnake with me to the range so I can swab it out every 20-30 rounds or so. Though I don't think that's completely necessary.

And yes I don't know why the F they would peen the firing pin stop. My guess is that maybe it was loose and falling out during recoil?? Though I doubt that because it took some good effort to punch it back into the slide. I could not simply push it in by hand.

I'm just using Slip 2000 EWL oil. The previous owner had the bolt and firing pin soaked in oil which seems like a bad idea. I'm only lubing the rail and a light coating of oil on the bolt.
I typically clean after about 100 rounds. What will gets real dirty and crudded up is the small gas piston and the gas piston bore. When you buy a new DE you get a special piston bore cleaning tool, not sure if you got one ?

DSCF1284[1].JPG

If not you might be able to get one from Kahr. Not sure if I shared my link but I did extensive testing of DE cycling and ammo. It's an informative read that puts to bed some of the false myths with shooting DE's . It's in the reloading section over at the Slaptalk DE forum. That forum structure SUCKS with too many ads and I don't post there much. If you want to get together and have a "DE Day" we can shoot at my gun club (Pelham F&G) . Would be my pleasure to have you as a guest.

Back
Top Bottom