• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Desert Eagle Megathread…

DW357

NES Member
Someone please talk me out of buying a Desert Eagle in 44 mag and help my wallet[laugh]

I've literally never held or shot one but I've got a ton of 44 mag ammo (since I reload) and I thought it would be a nice addition to my DW revolver and Henry lever gun?? I just feel like I would enjoy shooting it but maybe I'm wrong?

So are the certain models/versions to look for? Are the older IMI/IWI (made in Israel) desert eagles better than the Magnum Research (made in USA)?? How do the triggers/reliability compare among the different versions? I'm hearing that the older models had consistent 2 stage triggers that were nice?

I suspect I won't even find one (especially at a price I like) so this whole discussion might be moot[laugh]

I will only buy one in brushed or polished chrome or SS. I have no interest in the black/nitride finishes. I wouldn't be opposed to the titanium gold if the price was right[laugh]

Last edited:
The chrome finishes on the DE dont last. If you dont like the black/nitride then look at the SS with the integral muzzle brake. That is probably the best of the bunch. The cerakote options are, well cerakote so those too dont last. The titanium gold are too hideous to contemplate and we wont talk about tiger stripes. The case hardened model is a little more pricey and my personal favorite. It really looks great.

I shot a friends .44mag DE once, did absolutely nothing for me. It’s interesting but I wouldn’t spend the money on it. This one didn’t cycle reliably either.
failure to cycle is caused by limp wristing the majority of the time in my experience. You need to support it with your right hand to insure the force goes into cycling the slide and with your left hand to insure that the rotating bolt (yes, just like an AR) does not result in the entire gun turning counter clockwise and ejecting the round directly into your forehead (and then failing to complete the cycle). As long as you use full power ammo they are pretty reliable for a large caliber toy gun.

bro I’m on the 44 mag bandwagon as well. As much as I want to consolidate calibers, I just want one big bad hand cannon that can obliterate everything in my path. I was looking at 629 6” or similar. My buddy has a Blackhawk and that thing is so badass.
Since you reload, it makes perfect sense. Maybe I can shoot fresh ammo and pass the brass to you!

failure to cycle is caused by limp wristing the majority of the time in my experience. You need to support it with your right hand to insure the force goes into cycling the slide and with your left hand to insure that the rotating bolt (yes, just like an AR) does not result in the entire gun turning counter clockwise and ejecting the round directly into your forehead (and then failing to complete the cycle). As long as you use full power ammo they are pretty reliable for a large caliber toy gun.

I wasn’t limp wristing it, if anything I was gripping a little more firmly expecting more recoil. I will say it was the strangest feeling action on any handgun I have ever shot, hard to explain. Was a used gun the guy just bought, first time he shot it, for all I know there was a problem w the gun. Never shot one before or since, but that experience did nothing for me. I would certainly hope that given the price, they’re more reliable than I experienced.

bro I’m on the 44 mag bandwagon as well. As much as I want to consolidate calibers, I just want one big bad hand cannon that can obliterate everything in my path. I was looking at 629 6” or similar. My buddy has a Blackhawk and that thing is so badass.
Since you reload, it makes perfect sense. Maybe I can shoot fresh ammo and pass the brass to you!
😂 everyone needs a hand cannon! Nothing wrong with a 629. And yes I’ll gladly take your brass!

The chrome finishes on the DE dont last. If you dont like the black/nitride then look at the SS with the integral muzzle brake. That is probably the best of the bunch. The cerakote options are, well cerakote so those too dont last. The titanium gold are too hideous to contemplate and we wont talk about tiger stripes. The case hardened model is a little more pricey and my personal favorite. It really looks great.
Good to know!
“Too hideous to contemplate”[rofl]

DEs are great guns to shoot.... when they belong to somebody else.
I shot a friends .44mag DE once, did absolutely nothing for me. It’s interesting but I wouldn’t spend the money on it. This one didn’t cycle reliably either.
Maybe I just need to find someone with a DE 44 mag to see what it’s all about.
Any NESers got one??

What’s the over/ under on how long before Andrew breaks it??
20200730_172435-jpg.419496

I will say it was the strangest feeling action on any handgun I have ever shot, hard to explain.
7Ga4.gif

Not going to talk you out of. Getting one they are cool guns to shoot. I had one and am sorry I sold it. Not a lot of recoil due gun mass and the fact it is a gas operated system. The only problem is factory ammo doesn't always work consistently. It would be to your advantage to reload 44mags for your gun. Load hot and a little short with a tighter crimp and you will never have a problem

Not going to talk you out of getting one they are cool guns to shoot. I had one and am sorry I sold it. Not a lot of recoil due gun mass and the fact it is a gas operated system. The only problem is factory ammo doesn't always work consistently. It would be to your advantage to reload 44mags for your gun. Load hot and a little short with a tighter crimp and you will never have a problem

Not going to talk you out of. Getting one they are cool guns to shoot. I had one and am sorry I sold it. Not a lot of recoil due gun mass and the fact it is a gas operated system. The only problem is factory ammo doesn't always work consistently. It would be to your advantage to reload 44mags for your gun. Load hot and a little short with a tighter crimp and you will never have a problem
Good info thanks. My reloads are loaded warm but not nuclear either. Mid to upper range with magnum powders.

Back
Top Bottom