Taking the plunge into the Rifle pool

Have a Springfield M1A Scout Squad incoming through Carl. Looking for suggestions and advise for maintenance tools and rifle vice for it. Thx.

The first thing, get a gas lock wrench and an M14 combo tool. A chamber brush and a set of gas system cleaning drills is nice to have. A good cleaning kit of course and decent screw drivers and standard Allen wrenches...a set of punches if you feel the need to completely disassemble it. No real need for a rifle vice. And start shopping for some pre-ban mags. 55grain has them for sale in the classifieds.

how much are they asking for those, if you don't mind me asking?

I want one, but not sure it makes sense for me (heavy, expensive ammo etc). Just has so much history and character, it's an irrational want.

it's an irrational want.

So far I've irrationally wanted (and acquired) four of them... but a least I rationalized it.

I bought two pre-bans... an SEI M14 and a Springfield M1A Bush rifle... the other two I built from piles of parts.

Last edited:
Wow, is it really that much of a pain to clean it?

Nope, it's really simple(at least my cleaning method is).

After a range trip I usually just hit it with the some Ballistol, the chamber brush, and a boresnake. Every four or five hundred rounds I clean out the gas system which takes less than ten minutes to do.

OP, if your looking for how to clips on anything M1A check out the tonyben channel on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tonyben3/videos

If you run into any problems or just want to glean heaps of information about your new rifle check out the folks over at M14forum, they love helping out folks new to the M14/M1A.

They are actually pretty easy to clean. The trigger group just pops out to fully expose the mechanism, the action then pops out for full access. Once the action is out of the stock the op rod is easily removed allowing removal of the bolt. If doing a basic bore swabbing, do it with the barrel upside down to prevent cleaners or oil from getting into the gas system as it's supposed to run dry. The M14 was designed to run for long periods without maintenance.

A lot of people recommend replacing the SAi hammer and extractor with USGI or to at least have the USGI ones on hand as the SAi bits are less robust.

I highly recommend M14 Battle Rifle forum M14br for expertise on this platform...particularly posts by T44E4.

Good choice on the scout! Love mine. I'm not using the barrel mounted scope mount (questionable location), aka scope cooker, so I went with an early vented handguard

get a chamber brush designed for this gun. Cleaning is easy except for the chamber without one of these brushes. It has a right angle ratcheting attachment since the chamber is not accessible directly from the rear
I'm not using a scope, but if i was i would probably get a receiver mount.
Ammo suggestion: ZQI at Wallmart - $9.99 a box, Turkish, brass cased. Dont remember if its NATO or not

They are actually pretty easy to clean. The trigger group just pops out to fully expose the mechanism, the action then pops out for full access. Once the action is out of the stock the op rod is easily removed allowing removal of the bolt. If doing a basic bore swabbing, do it with the barrel upside down to prevent cleaners or oil from getting into the gas system as it's supposed to run dry. The M14 was designed to run for long periods without maintenance.

A lot of people recommend replacing the SAi hammer and extractor with USGI or to at least have the USGI ones on hand as the SAi bits are less robust.

I highly recommend M14 Battle Rifle forum M14br for expertise on this platform...particularly posts by T44E4.

Just remember there is no need to drop the trigger out unless your doing a detail clean or something is broken. Every time you latch the trigger it takes a few rounds to settle the action.
With it being based on the M1 it's a battle rifle you don't need to "clean" it every time you shoot it.
A quick bore/chamber wipe and a oil patch for storage, then a few dry patches before you shoot again. This keeps a barrel pretty darn clean. I can go approx 800 rounds with my M1 before shots start to wonder from a dirty barrel......then it needs 20+ rounds for the action to settle and the bore to foul a little and tighten up the groups.

If your local to Pembroke there is a modern service rifle match Nov 8th 9am . Come see what you and your new rifle can do @ 200 yards...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_ed7I-0dDxIU0Y5OE5BVWQ1OVk/view

I was going to build a M14 with a parts kid t I had. I was offered silly money for the kit and sold it.
Anyway the few guys that shoot the M14/M1a at my club said I should get this. More info than anyone really needs so they say.
http://www.gunbooks.com/us30.html

Last edited:
Any recommendations for optics on a scout squad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was planning on the leupold FXII scope. Tried one out on a friend's rifle and I liked it. Not terribly expensive either.

I'm running a Vortex Viper 1-4x24 on a Sadlak Airborne mount on one of mine. I'm happy with it.

The middle one is sporting a Vortex StrikeFire on a genuine Brookfield mount.

Last edited:
I would buy a Sadlak spring guide and spring for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWAQ9CA-GGc

Good suggestion. The Sadlak products are top notch and their scope mount is 'endorsed' by the creator of the Brookfield type scope mount. I've also done the XM25 gas cylinder modification on all of mine...well, I did three, one was purchased already having it done by BPT.

Last edited:
which came cheaper? I loved putting my own guitar together a few years back, if it's as cost effective for firearms I might just start shopping for parts for one. Desperately want an m1a.

bottom pic, top rifle, what is that?? That barrel reminds me of a sig 556.

That's an M14 action in a modified Troy chassis with my home made compensator. It's a Fulton receiver with a Wolf Modified Med Weight fluted barrel. I bought the bare receiver and built it up myself as I did with the one in the E2 stock (first picture). That one is a James River Armory receiver and bolt. The rest is all USGI.

It's definitely cheaper to buy an off the shelf Springfield but I personally wouldn't buy one of their current offerings.

Back
Top Bottom