• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taking Inventory of the Survivors (Deer)

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Now is the time I will make my trail camera sets to take inventory of the survivors.

I will set up a camera over some cracked corn and most importantly a mineral set. Minerals are especially important in the coming months as does nurse their fawns and bucks grow their headgear.

When it comes to minerals I have used the big Trace Mineral Block (50lb), about $10.00, with good results and I have had better results with the Trophy Rock It they run about $20.00. With a saws all I can cut the trace mineral block into six smaller blocks. I cut once down the middle and cut each side into thirds.

What do you guys do to take inventory?

Bob

I do trophy rocks as well had my cameras out since the first of the year.
Just checked a couple of them today had bucks with antlers on at the end of February.
With the easy winter seems like a lot of deer

I do trophy rocks as well had my cameras out since the first of the year.
Just checked a couple of them today had bucks with antlers on at the end of February.
With the easy winter seems like a lot of deer

Yes definitely a an easy year for deer in terms of temperatures, deep snow, and in some of my better spots I couldn’t get in or park the truck during the shotgun season so there was lighter pressure during the gun season.

The herd should be in great shape this fall.

Bob

You guys have good luck with that stuff? I’ve never had mature bucks come into it, seem way to smart. I’ll get them walking by once then they are gone, usually just get runts. I don’t even like using cameras, every big deer I’ve found if I throw up a camera I get them once and they are staring it down then never show up again they definitely know what’s up. If I see a mature buck track I’m hunting him I don’t need to F up the area before hand checking cameras

I've been seriously slacking this year. No postseason scouting no cameras out. I'm hoping to actually do a little scouting during "turkey". This Wuhan flu has really robbed me of opportunity. Suddenly becomes a chore just to track down some basic necessities like food. I'm working extra hours because my work furloughed more than half our workforce. Time for the outdoors just hasn't been able to fit in so far. Makes me sad but it is what it is.

Back
Top Bottom