• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Taking Handguns Into Canada

plus a ban on .25 cal. Canadian residents who had shorter barrels, or .25ACP guns when bill C68 was passed were grandfathered, but non-grandfathered people may not possess such guns.

25ACP?.. <roll eyes> I don't think I want to know the back story on that one even though I think I could guess at the non-logic.

Left the handgun with a known friend before the border. Did take a shotgun and the Canada border people were very strict that it not have a folding stock or similar features. Asked to see it on several occasions. Once they viewed the wood stock it was OK. All this was crossing at Montana and again from Alaska to Dawson on the Top of the World highway. But gosh that was twenty years ago.

25ACP?.. <roll eyes> I don't think I want to know the back story on that one even though I think I could guess at the non-logic.

The logic, if any, was redacted. The back story, however, is that a mad professor had used some small, inexpensive, imported pistols to shoot up his workplace. There was also a large importer in the same city who was retailing these types of used firearms via the postal service. The price ranges were from $25. to $200. My guess is that the elites were perturbed that the proles had such easy and affordable access to concealable handguns, and undertook to eliminate them from the economy.

I was chatting with border patrol on one of my crossings into Canada on the Niagara border and every time they ask my profession they asked if I was sure I had no guns in the car I wanted to declare. They also said they don't penalize those who declare them and they will store them for the duration of your trip if you want. I didn't test this and this was only from the agent in the booth but there might be something more to it in writing but I didn't bother looking.

**This was about May of this year

Last edited:
I was chatting with border patrol on one of my crossings into Canada on the Niagara border and every time they ask my profession they asked if I was sure I had no guns in the car I wanted to declare. They also said they don't penalize those who declare them and they will store them for the duration of your trip if you want. I didn't test this and this was only from the agent in the booth but there might be something more to it in writing but I didn't bother looking.

**This was about May of this year

My oh my. What a load of bull. I would love to read about ANYONE who took advantage of this very generous offer from the CRMP.

It's been two years since I flew into canada with my Remington 1187 premier. First, I had to go to our local customs office at the airport and have a piece of paper authenticated by them that I'm the legal owner of this shotgun here in the States. When you come home from Canada, the agents at the border want to see proof that you owned that shotgun before you entered Canada so you can't 'smuggle' a new one home from Canada to the States. They look at your declaration and compare the numbers and model. Otherwise you could bring a real beater into their country, dump it and return with a much nicer one for less money than available here. The customs people are, for the most part, used to seeing hunters come in and they have a good, quick system in place to get you in and out quickly. If, however, you run afoul of the laws at the border, you will FOREVER be identified in their computer every time you go though the border and you could find yourself being searched time and time again. No thanks to that.

Forget handguns, period.

Rome

There is a minimum barrel length requirement of 105mm, plus a ban on .25 cal. Canadian residents who had shorter barrels, or .25ACP guns when bill C68 was passed were grandfathered, but non-grandfathered people may not possess such guns.

I quickly read that and thought, Funny to put a Howitzer in your pocket.

Travel to Canada? No thanks. Been there for business a few times.

Toronto and Vancouver are nice cities and all, but I prefer to give my hard earned sheckles to states in the U.S. that "allow" me to CCW

Looks like they dropped the price, or I had it wrong. Thanks.

Yes, I too thought it was $50. Yesterday afternoon, on the TV show Border Security, a 'CBSA officer' character said it was $25. That sounded incorrect to me, so I looked it up. Sure enough, $25.

I think they dropped the price.

Last edited:
They also said they don't penalize those who declare them and they will store them for the duration of your trip if you want.
Please double check this before you rely on it.

I remember reading that they had changed this policy, and the new policy is "forfeit to the crown".

Back
Top Bottom