Taking Handguns Into Canada

I'll be traveling cross-country next summer with a concealed carry permit issued in Colorado. We're visiting Maine and would like to take a side trip into Canada for a few days. Everything I've seen makes it sound near impossible to take handguns across the border. Has anyone come up with a solution for storing guns temporarily on the US side? The best solution I've heard so far is to take it to a gunsmith for a good cleaning and then pick it up on returning to the States.

I used to drive semi and go to Canada all the time with my 20 ga. shotgun all the time back in the 80's, BUT declared it every time and never had a problem, but NO handguns. Your cleaning idea is good!

Keep in mind that MA (and NY for that matter) is basically a foreign country when it comes to bringing a pistol, if you are driving through. No magazines 10+, no carry OR possession without an MA issued license. Ammunition must be locked up when not being carried.

Keep in mind that MA (and NY for that matter) is basically a foreign country when it comes to bringing a pistol, if you are driving through. No magazines 10+, no carry OR possession without an MA issued license. Ammunition must be locked up when not being carried.

If he's only driving through, he's covered by FOPA......just can't stop

don't do it.

or you will be sent back like this
sIjNM8Y.jpg

Last edited:
just went to montreal last weekend, dont do it, verboten. I felt naked on the way up and back but its better than a canadian prison...

I remember seeing people going to a competition in Canada. There is a length requirement if I'm recalling correctly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I remember seeing people going to a competition in Canada. There is a length requirement if I'm recalling correctly.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

No, you do NOT recall correctly. There is no "length retirement", as a matter of fact I don't even remembering them asking to look........

(Edited to add, I wasn't talking about the gun)

As for competition, yes I have done it. Many years ago. For a "cross country trip " as the OP asks, either get it cleaned in ME, or better yet, don't bring it.

Last edited:
No, you do NOT recall correctly. There is no "length retirement", as a matter of fact I don't even remembering them asking to look........

As for competition, yes I have done it. Many years ago. For a "cross country trip " as the OP asks, either get it cleaned in ME, or better yet, don't bring it.

Wow, some people get ass hurt in a hurry. There is, in fact, a length requirement for handgun barrels in Canada, but there are exceptions for sporting purposes. It's an understandable misunderstanding.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/fs-fd/prohibited-prohibe-eng.htm

I remember an FFL around here telling me a story a few years back, at a shoot, while he was cleaning up and packing his toys up.

He said that several years earlier, after a similar shoot, he couldn't find a G19 he brought. Searched around, asked around, but it was MIA. He assumed someone grabbed it accidentally, or that he misremembered bringing it. He was going to Canada shortly after -- basically got home from the shoot in the afternoon, unpacked, packed back up, and left the next morning.

When he got back home from Canada at the end of the week, as he was pulling his bags out of the car, the missing G19 slid out from between the seat cushions in the third row [laugh].

He got lucky, I wouldn't recommend you trying to replicate that, haha.

My father and I went to Montreal some time back in '94 or '95 during a road trip around New England to check out gun shows, distributors, auctions, flea markets etc... There were a few shops in Montreal he knew of that carried lots of surplus and antique stuff. At the border the guy in the booth asked him "Anything to declare?", to which he replied "No sir." He showed his badge and just said "The boy and I are on vacation." No search or anything. I don't know how many rifles and pistols he had in the trunk from a few of the gun shows we'd already hit in MA and NH, but it was more than a few. [laugh] Pretty sure it was mostly antique and C&R stuff, but still. For all his years in law enforcement, his "zero f*cks given" attitude was a riot.

I have done this.

Canada, eh? will issue a non resident a license to transport restricted firearm (handgun, AR15, 10 round max handgun, 5 round max rifle) for a competitive shoot ONLY. Canada will not issue such a license for any other purpose, including transit through Canada (as there is no "need" - you can ship to your destination). Permits are by province, and there is a $50 registraion fee when entering Canada (new since I went).

I have always had polite treatment, but the usual reaction is "WTF, this American actually has paperwork for his gun - I've never seen that before" - followed by calling a supervisor who then proceeds to look for the policy memo, and finally gives up, can't find it, and wishes me a good trip in Canada.

There is no "length retirement", as a matter of fact I don't even remembering them asking to look........
There is a minimum barrel length requirement of 105mm, plus a ban on .25 cal. Canadian residents who had shorter barrels, or .25ACP guns when bill C68 was passed were grandfathered, but non-grandfathered people may not possess such guns.

Back
Top Bottom