• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TAKING A SHOOTING CLASS/GUNFIGHTING CLASS? Here are some tips

The post is under training. Click the link below:

Last edited:
Tip 1.... be borderline morbidly obese.

Tip 2 ..... spend more on gear that you did on your wife's engagement ring

Tip 3..... act like you know more than the instructor

Tip 4..... saddle up next to the hot chick who would charge u triple to bang her if she was a hooker and give her pointers opposite of what the instructor says.

Tip 5..... shoot terribly and then fiddle with your gun incessantly blaming your gear.

Tip 6....eye f*** the crap out of a dude running a stock gun with irons who is shooting circles around you

Tip 7..... enjoy the class

Tip 4..... saddle up next to the hot chick who would charge u triple to bang her if she was a hooker and give her pointers opposite of what the instructor says.

Tip 5..... shoot terribly and then fiddle with your gun incessantly blaming your gear.

Tip 6....eye f*** the crap out of a dude running a stock gun with irons who is shooting circles around you

We have all seen these people in class

You forgot the battle belt with the low rise/drop leg lvl 3 duty holster and the 50lb plate carrier full of AR/AK mags for the ccw or pistol skills class lol

Folks attend classes to learn....not just about shooting/improving skills (safely) but also gear selection/choices

No shortage of bad info out there

Most people who have been shooting for 5-10-20 or more years have boxes of gear sitting in closet collecting dust that they dont use because at some point they learned what works/doesnt work for them....or is just a bad gimmick

Make notes at end of each day for yourself....and as soon as possible after your course/training ends, try to find time to reinforce skills/lessons you learned in training.....repetition, repetition, repetiton.......if you dont do anything with what you learned in a class for 6-12 months then it probably didnt stick/make it into muscle memory/upper brain
Yes! Excellent. Thank you!

So you’ve met me.
Which class did you and I take together?

Last edited:
Folks attend classes to learn....not just about shooting/improving skills (safely) but also gear selection/choices

No shortage of bad info out there

Most people who have been shooting for 5-10-20 or more years have boxes of gear sitting in closet collecting dust that they dont use because at some point they learned what works/doesnt work for them....or is just a bad gimmick

Make notes at end of each day for yourself....and as soon as possible after your course/training ends, try to find time to reinforce skills/lessons you learned in training.....repetition, repetition, repetiton.......if you dont do anything with what you learned in a class for 6-12 months then it probably didnt stick/make it into muscle memory/upper brain
This . . . I went to my first traing - a carbine class. The prep instructions called for "magazine carriers". I bought something called that from Larry but it was more "sling it over the shoulder" style. When I realized what was needed was a chest rig, I put that on my list of things to get. The training was great because I learned a lot about my rifle, but also about the gear I needed. Sure, there was soup-to-nuts gear on the peole there - some minimalists and some in full battle-rattle. I got to see what was available and decide what to adopt based on what was appropriate for me.

This . . . I went to my first traing - a carbine class. The prep instructions called for "magazine carriers". I bought something called that from Larry but it was more "sling it over the shoulder" style. When I realized what was needed was a chest rig, I put that on my list of things to get. The training was great because I learned a lot about my rifle, but also about the gear I needed. Sure, there was soup-to-nuts gear on the peole there - some minimalists and some in full battle-rattle. I got to see what was available and decide what to adopt based on what was appropriate for me.
YES! thanks for that. Excellent.

Can we write an instructor one as well? Sometimes humility is no present. And then you force a situation on someone and show how you are right and they are wrong. And it turns out you're just a turd in training pants. LOL. (Some people who are armchair commandos online are actually armchair commandos IRL as well. I never thought I'd see that!)

Can we write an instructor one as well? Sometimes humility is no present. And then you force a situation on someone and show how you are right and they are wrong. And it turns out you're just a turd in training pants. LOL. (Some people who are armchair commandos online are actually armchair commandos IRL as well. I never thought I'd see that!)
Just don’t take a Rob Pincus class and you’ll be fine.

However, if you find yourself in a class with an unqualified instructor than you probably didn’t do your homework. If your instructor is qualified but you think he/she is “wrong” than you probably didn’t bring the first item on the equipment list - an open mind.

I've never taken a class but I've definitely watched enough videos to give it a shot.

Instructor tip 1..... be either insanely in or out of shape no in between... either I should be able to see every capillary or the fact you had 3 Hardee's burgers for lunch.

Instructor tip 1a... wear tactical pants.... a polo 3 sizes too small.... Oakley's some form of knock off tactical boot and a gshock watch.

Instructor tip 2.... call every cute girl dear or darling or some derogatory term for women.

Instructor tip 3.... carry a gun new out of the box and no spare mags because you dont miss

Instructor tip 4.... immediately try and correct someone shooting well but not in your preferred style and stance. Don't offer mild suggestions either treat it like adjusting a golf swing where u need to break their mind and start from square one

Instructor tip 5.... (advanced classes only) demonstrate your drawing from a holster skills with a loaded gun towards your class...let them know it's ok to draw and point loaded guns at people

Instructor tip 6.... anyone that asks a question must be stared down in your hardest full metal jacket stare before offering a poor attitude response.. except the hot chick's

Instructor tip 7.... tell class every gun safety rule is wrong and teach horrible habits.( bonus points for working this is my safety from black hawk down into it)

I've never taken a class but I've definitely watched enough videos to give it a shot.

Instructor tip 1..... be either insanely in or out of shape no in between... either I should be able to see every capillary or the fact you had 3 Hardee's burgers for lunch.

Instructor tip 1a... wear tactical pants.... a polo 3 sizes too small.... Oakley's some form of knock off tactical boot and a gshock watch.

Instructor tip 2.... call every cute girl dear or darling or some derogatory term for women.

Instructor tip 3.... carry a gun new out of the box and no spare mags because you dont miss

Instructor tip 4.... immediately try and correct someone shooting well but not in your preferred style and stance. Don't offer mild suggestions either treat it like adjusting a golf swing where u need to break their mind and start from square one

Instructor tip 5.... (advanced classes only) demonstrate your drawing from a holster skills with a loaded gun towards your class...let them know it's ok to draw and point loaded guns at people

Instructor tip 6.... anyone that asks a question must be stared down in your hardest full metal jacket stare before offering a poor attitude response.. except the hot chick's

Instructor tip 7.... tell class every gun safety rule is wrong and teach horrible habits.( bonus points for working this is my safety from black hawk down into it)
OMG too funny. BTW every instructor will use that Blackhawk Down reference at least once.

Only "civilian" class I have taken was a 3 day HSP course at Sig. I really have no complaints. There was only one character in the class... Kid got a picture with Travis Haley the first day then had him sign it the second day. Crinnnnnge*

*He is pretty cool though

SIG Academy has little tolerance for idiots - I’ve seen a few given a refund before lunch.

Good private instructors have a reputation for not tolerating idiots - they tend to get referral students and fewer idiots.

In my limited experience, smaller clubs that allow open registration from the public draw more unqualified shooters - friends and family, in way over their heads at a course that’s not meant for beginners.

As an Instructor for too long..... I can confirm

Yah or nay on wearing a ballistic helmet with nods at my first class where I may or may not hit paper? This isn't touched upon on your list, so I'm not sure.

As an Instructor for too long..... I can confirm

I was in an action pistol league and did a few range quals at my range and while 99% of people were cool as hell. There were 2 dick head tactical Timmy's as described.

One had a done up sig x5. I'm talking thing must've run over 2 gs....I had a bone stock 17 that I had cerkoted

I'm shooting the last stage he comes up to my wife hey I could give you a few pointers if you'd like. She goes ehh idk my husband is pretty good and I think I did okay for my first time. How long have you been in this league... he goes 3 years

I walk over he's like o yea whatd you shoot I go eh 285 not bad for my second time she shot a 200 I ask how he did 225.... guy goes duuuuude you must have a zev'd up glock

I was like nah man I just got it painted too match a rifle I love em stock.... his face dropped and he walked away

Tip 1.... be borderline morbidly obese. Yeah, seriously. How dare people who dont match jkelly’s standards be interested in a firearm class. Jesus, next thing you know, these fat fuggs are looking into defending themselves. I wonder what the approved BMI to take a class might be. He obviously set the standards here.

Tip 2 ..... spend more on gear that you did on your wife's engagement ring How dare you (again) spending your money on decent kit? Please, see the jkelly approved list of gear that’s acceptable, if you want to take a class. Just make sure you didn’t spend more than he did, it will get you made fun of. Where do you think you are, America or something?

Tip 3..... act like you know more than the instructor or maybe just be confident. BETA CUCKS won’t know the difference either way, and just include you in their “no class for you” list

Tip 4..... saddle up next to the hot chick who would charge u triple to bang her if she was a hooker and give her pointers opposite of what the instructor says. That spot obviously is reserved for a stud like jkelly. How dare you enjoying to look or even talk to an attractive woman when you don’t meet jkelly’s beauty criteria.

Tip 5..... shoot terribly and then fiddle with your gun incessantly blaming your gear. Don’t worry, this is not you. It’s a typical American thing. It can’t possibly be your fault. It has to be someone/something else’s fault.

Tip 6....eye f*** the crap out of a dude running a stock gun with irons who is shooting circles around you and maybe learn a thing or two. Watching people who are better than you at something is obviously a silly idea.

My dad (RIP) used to say “arrogance and stupidity go hand in hand”. Just sayin’.

Back
Top Bottom