takedown lever removal, M&P 2.0

trying to break down an M&P 2.0 for a good cleaning. Cannot remove the takedown lever using the method to remove my 1.0 Shield's lever; raise slightly above horizontal and wiggle it out over the retaining spring. The couple of Youtube vids I've found for the 2.0 show the locking block and takedown lever being removes as a unit, but then you have to pop out the trigger pin, with the resulting headache of reconnecting the trigger spring.

Am I missing something here? Is this a design change?

there's no reason to go into the frame unless it needs replacement of the trigger spring, sear, sear spring, etc. thorough cleaning of the chamber, breech, extractor, striker and block are more than enough. the takedown pin does nothing except hold the recoil spring assembly in place. one could go the lifetime of the pistol and never clean it. if want to clean guns for fun get revolver or 1911.

there's no reason to go into the frame unless it needs replacement of the trigger spring, sear, sear spring, etc. thorough cleaning of the chamber, breech, extractor, striker and block are more than enough. the takedown pin does nothing except hold the recoil spring assembly in place. one could go the lifetime of the pistol and never clean it. if want to clean guns for fun get revolver or 1911.
Depends on usage and purpose. If you are tacking up high round counts and if its your carry gun, its worthwhile to do a complete strip/clean every once in a while.
I usually wait till something stops working on range/comp guns which is usually 6000-8000 rounds. The glock full break down is only like three more steps than a field strip. For carry guns it's about once a year just to keep ahead of lint and rust.
Otherwise it's field strip, light clean and lube every 1000/2000.

For what it's worth, I did notice the Apex videos on disassembly of the M&P 2.0 frame show them removing the takedown lever as part of the locking block, rather than removing in separately, as in the 1.0 models.

Back
Top Bottom