• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

"Take Your Dad to the Range"...

...or, "Better Late then Never".

Brought my Dad, who will be turning 78 next month, to the range today. First time he has held or fired a gun since he was in the Navy - over 50 years ago. Aside from some wrangling with his hearing protection it went off pretty well! Looking forward to getting him back out a few more times before the weather gets cold.

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

I took my Father a while back. He wanted to shoot his RF Sedgley sporterized 03 in 250 Savage along with his old IHMSA S&W 357. When he felt one of my Mauser triggers his first repsonse was "Damn! No wonder they lost the war" [laugh]

Hey that's the range that I go to, I wonder if I've see you there? That cool that you got him to the range. I don't think that I could ever get my Pa to the range, he doesn't like guns very much.

When I go it's usually weekday mornings - 99% of the time there's no one else around. Real nice place, I've been a member for just a few months but it's feeling more and more like home...

As far as your Dad not going to the range - never hurts to ask - a lunch bribe might help too. Try Tucker's on College Highway in Southwick.

I like that range, I usally go on Sundays because that's the only time I have to go. There is usally no one around just about any time you go. It's a nice laid back place. Maybe I will see you there one day.

Glad that you had a good time.

I keep trying to get my dad to the range, but he is more interested in finishing the work we are doing on his car.
We are putting a 350 in his 84 Z28. He currently drives a 2002 Z28. Not bad for a 75 year old.

frizz

You have no idea how much I envy you, OTR. I tried to get my dad to go shooting with me when he was alive but he just had no interest.

Enjoy every minute with him, man.

That's great. My dad is thousands of miles away from me as well. As well as my Grandfather, who I'd love to be able to shoot with again.

I'm glad that you guys had a good time. And like Ross said, enjoy it. You're one lucky man!

Awesome!

My father lives about 1500 miles away and is in poor health so the range is pretty much out of the question. However, I've been taking his brother (my uncle) to the range quite frequently.

Since his retirement, my uncle had been doing nothing but taking care of his infirm wife. However lately he's taken up shooting and is having the time of his life. He's one of the few people I know that likes to go shooting more than me.

He came to the Spring Shoot and had a blast. You people were very good to him.

Great story and pictures! [smile]

I'm envious of you! My late Father had absolutely no interest at all. He had enough of guns in WWII from Normandy to Berlin and never ever touched one again.

I did succeed once in getting my late Mother-in-Law to go shooting with us and she had a blast (plastic gallon milk jugs filled with water).

My dad is no longer alive but my mom, who is 69, took up shooting on her own a year or so ago. That actually played a role in my getting back into it after many years, go figure. It still cracks me up to think of her packing a 9mm with laser sights down in FL. I wish she were closer I'd love the opportunity to shoot with her, except I think she may be better, I don't know if I could handle being outshot by my almost 70 year old mom [frown]

My Dad is a DDay vet who was wounded several times and took part in some of the fiercest fighting at the start of the war.

He has no aversion to checking out my stuff, but has told me several times: "I have no desire to ever shoot another gun."

I gotta respect that.

The first thing my Dad asks every time he see's me, which is often, is if I've bought anything new he hasn't tried yet. We go to the range at least once a month and it's always a good time and he leaves with a smile on his face. Sometimes a few bumps, bruises and scrapes as well, but it doesn't bother him. He's getting pretty old and doesn't get around much anymore, but he still wants to go to the range.

Back
Top Bottom