• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Take down of 1911

How difficult is it to take down a 1911. I am considering a Para-Ordnance and was wondering if it requires any tools. Thanks.

It's not difficult after you're past the short learning curve, but be caureful, you could shoot your eye out with that thing (the spring retainer). I'm sure there are those who can remove the bushing without the tool, but AFAIK, all 1911's that use a bushing come with a removal tool.

It's easy, once you've done it. If you can get a friend to show you the first time it will help. I don't need the bushing wrench for mine (probably not a good thing).

Even detail stripping is easy and doesn't require additional tools.

One exception is the Colt Gold Cup. If you have the original parts, there are two extra pieces - a sear and a sear depressor spring. The theory is that this helps the trigger job, however, I don't know of any gunsmiths that use this arrangement.

Assuming you have a stock magazine with the forward lip on the bottom and stock grip screws. It's still better to have some tools so you can use the exact correct size parallel blade screwdriver on the grip, and not use you three leaf spring as a screwdriver to undo the mag release catch.

If you get one with the Ma required firing pin safety, it's a little more difficult to strip the slide than one of the original styles. It takes three hands to put it back together....but it can be done ..with practice.

I've got 2 1911's and the milsurp doesn't need a barrel wrench, but the 1911sc is easier to do with it. If I don't have one handy I can get it apart ok, sometimes Ill use a coin or I'll just grin and bear the sharp edge of the plug cutting into my thumb.

Get a bushing wrench it will help immensely and can be had from Brownell's for under $3 if you don't mind it being plastic and day glo orange. BTW you get a wrench with a Para or S&W.

With a GI guide rod takedown is trivial using the "air force" method. As fast a Sig.

With a full length rod it is a three handed I wish I had a paper clip or bushing wrench affair. A fired case is usually enough in that situation.

I bought a full sized para ord a few months ago. Very happy w/ it. 2 thumbs up from me.

It came with a bushing wrench , a few allen keys , extra black grip screws for those who don't like the chrome , a 7 rnd & an 8 rnd mag. ...

It took about a minute for the Army lessons of 1983 to come back to me.

I have a Para too. It's straight forward once you're done it. Mine came with a manual, bushing wrench, and allen wrenches. I can actually take it apart w/o the bushing wrench, but it's easier without.

Just remember to hold your hand or finger over the recoil spring, because it does come flying out. Scared the crap out of me the first time. Luckily I'm paranoid and alway point the barrel away from me when cleaning, etc. as part of my process so I still have both eyes!

What do you use to drift out the holding pins when detail stripping your 1911?

Granted I stripped mine just using a flat-head screwdriver, some toothpicks and my plastic bullet-puller.

They're pretty easy guns to work with.

Arrrr

-Weer'd Beard

What do you use to drift out the holding pins when detail stripping your 1911?
Manual safety/slidestop (can't remember). Use the slide as a hammer. Drift out the mainspring housing pin.

A fired case can be used to unscrew the grips. I believe the sear spring can also be used for this. The sear spring can also be used to remove the mag release.

Remove the manual safety and use it to remove the hammer pin. Use the hammer strut to remove the sear pin and depress the firing pin to remove the firing pin stop.

Use the slidestop and firing pin to disassemble the mainspring housing.

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/toolbox.htm

Last edited:
It's not difficult after you're past the short learning curve, but be caureful, you could shoot your eye out with that thing (the spring retainer)

A big +1 on this. The first time I tried putting my S&W 1911 back together I somehow lost control of the spring when I tried to get the bushing in place. The spring luckily just brushed the side of my head as it whizzed by, but it did smash the light bulb in a chandelier I was under. Next thing I know I have pieces of light bulb landing all over me. Plus the spring and the metal cap that goes over it came down and bounced off the table in different directions. Took me a while to find the metal cap piece and to clean up the broken glass. I usually didn't wear safety glasses when stripping my handguns. After that, I do.

Caution: before going bananas with your bushing wrench, figure out what sort of bushing your 1911-style pistol has and how that bushing is properly removed. A lot of collet-style bushings have been damaged by cranking on them while the slide is fully forward.

Back
Top Bottom