• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Take a Massachusetts legislator to the gun range.

Want to protect your 2nd Amendment rights in Massachusetts? Take a Massachusetts legislator to the gun range.

State Representative Joe McKenna asked if he could go to the range and I said sure. Took him and his girlfriend to Ipswich Fish and Game. Joe & Ashley had a great time. Joe is a strong gun owners’ rights legislator and a gun owner.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was not Joes first time to Ipswich Fish & Game. I met Joe 5 years ago when he was a legislative aid to another rep. We were helping a Lia run for office in Peabody. For helping Lia I took Joe and some of his friends to the gun range. They all had a blast. I told Joe to get his gun license and a firearm. Joe did both.

This is exactly the sort of true grass-roots involvement that we need.

It may not convert a true Anti (who is likely not to take one up on the offer, anyways), but it will go a ways to showing that we have nothing to hide. Nons see our Clubs as strange, spooky places, shrouded in mystery....which is part of the problem.

True story: Lady at the place I work, who has taken the LTC course at my Club, asked me, with a tone of "caution", "Can I ask you what you're doing at your Club?"

She was referring to tree cutting and power equipment, visible from the road that she uses daily.

"New septic," I told her, "Nothing cool."

Point being....even though she knows me, and has been to the Club, she was nervous about asking. Any place that "closed off" has all kinds of weird stories told about it....Skull and Bones, Masons, Local Gun Club.

Let people see that we're "normal" members of the community. If you host a Scout troop, or a Hunter Ed class, or a Senior Dinner for the local fossils, get the local paper there with a scribe and a camera.

OP: nice! +reps incoming

Attaboy, OP! GOAL holds a legislators' day at the range every year, but taking your own rep is a step above. Our club has done NRA basic pistol training classes for a state senator and a state rep and their staffs, one Republican and one Democrat. They all had nothing but positive comments, and a number of them went on to get their LTCs.

I am a political dude who got into firearms. I am constantly at events and campaigns for people running for office. And I am frequently taking these people to the gun range. Most of these activist and candidates have little or no experience with firearms. They agree with us in principal but they also have little personal connection. One day at the range changes that. They all say the same thing. The gun club was not what they expected and they leave very pro 2a. Most end up with their LTC.

Most are young Republicans. In college or just out graduated. If these young people are door knocking and making pone call for someone they will be activist for life. Many will run for office themselves like Joe McKenna. They will be strong 2A defenders.

Lia Fahey is one of these activists. Lia is now the New England Regional Director at Young Republican National Federation. I make these videos so they can share with all their friends. And many of their friends are political activists.

My club in RI did exactly this. We invited every congressman and congresswoman to come to the club and learn about firearms. We had a decent turnout and it was quite successful save for one Anti-Gun douchebag who came hating firearms and intended to leave hating the same. He did. He kept claiming all we were doing was spewing propaganda. Apparently gun safety and facts are propaganda.

I think more clubs should have legislator shoots. Most gun laws are past by elected officials who know little or nothing about firearms. So far everyone I have taken to the gun range is now a strong 2a supporter. I have taken Democrats to the range. This is one of my Salsa instructors Alex and a Democrat who is now working in Washington DC.

Alex with a 1911.jpg

Want to protect your 2nd Amendment rights in Massachusetts? Take a Massachusetts legislator to the gun range.

State Representative Joe McKenna asked if he could go to the range and I said sure. Took him and his girlfriend to Ipswich Fish and Game. Joe & Ashley had a great time. Joe is a strong gun owners’ rights legislator and a gun owner.

Phew i thought u meant use one as a target

There are always going to be people who will not change their minds on firearms. But most will. The usual response from a new guest to the range is

"This is not what I was expecting.... There are families here. People are so nice. This was a lot of fun. Can I bring my friends next time."

They also post photos and video of their range day on Facebook and the vast majority of the responses are positive. "This is hot! You rock! Why didn't you invite me to go with you?" This is an issue where public opinion is on our side.

Back
Top Bottom