Tacticool Rifles. Worth the extra money?

Hey guys,

What are your thoughts on the new "tacticool" .22 rifles being released? It seems more and more manufactures are releasing them and it's a very fast growing segment.

The answer it "it depends".

Some of these rifles are relatively cheap construction that try to attract those who practice the sublime art of mallninjitsu.

If you want a really high quality tactical style .22 that matches the feel of a real quality AR, look into a Nordic Components .22 upper on a quality lower. These run $425-$499 for the upper only (no scope or lower), so it's definitely a case of thou gettuth what thou payuth for. Tim Ubl knows his stuff.

Yes they are worth it, lots of fun to shoot and cheap to feed. I have a S&W M&P 15-22 that has taken me to 1st and 2nd place finishes at local steel challenge matches. Easily customize-able with standard AR-15 parts and is plenty accurate to 100 yards.

I don't think I CAN'T buy an M&P 15-22 after reading how fun they are. I love AR's and I love how cheap .22LR is, so I may be in motherplinking love.

On the other side of the 22LR tacticool rifle spectrum, the Savage Mk II TR has a nice high-combed stock for optics and no irons. My only complaint is Savage not making a lefty version. I bought one of the Boyds stocks, and am working on converting it for my left hand Mk II.

However, the Mk II TRR-SR doesn't seem worth it to me, unless I develop a need to mount an IR night scope and IR light for night critter control.

It all comes down to what you want a rifle to do. I'm not going to discount the looks cool factor, either. I've bought rifles on that basis, some of which I still like.

It always makes me chuckle when I see the tactifools at the range. All geared up to take on those Al Qaeda cells.[rofl]

Any quality firearm in .22 is a good buy with the price of ammo today, practicing marksmanship is tough on the wallet. So, spending $20 per 500 rounds to practice all day long is a win any which way you look at it.

Last edited:
On another note I am the proud owner of a new sig 522 and it's amazing! One of the most fun guns I have to shoot and sooooooooo much cheaper than 223. My next purchase will be the 552.

Back
Top Bottom