Tactical Winter Coat

Dnizzle80

NES Member
Hey all,
Anyone have any experience with a good quality tactical style winter coat. I'm looking for something that's very warm but will also allow adequate access to a firearm if necessary and also long enough to conceal if carrying OWB. I've seen some with side zippers to allow for this but not sure if that's the best option. Thanks

$600 for a jacket!!!!! And it screams "tacticool"

just buy whatever jacket you want and practice with it.

Hey all,
Anyone have any experience with a good quality tactical style winter coat. I'm looking for something that's very warm but will also allow adequate access to a firearm if necessary and also long enough to conceal if carrying OWB. I've seen some with side zippers to allow for this but not sure if that's the best option. Thanks

What tactics are you planning for your winter ops? Why does everything need to be tactical?

I think a lot of winter coats could be considered tactical if by tactical one means being tactical as opposed to looking tactical. The Kitanica coats above certainly "look" tactical, but I would never wear one. Part of actually being tactical is going unnoticed. I would rather not look like a cop, security person or paramilitary type. Any warm coat with good pockets should fit the bill. All methods of carry and concealment have their pro's and cons. A winter coat is great for concealment, but perhaps not so great for fast access in all situations. A long coat can conceal an OWB of even the largest size, however, what if you have to take the coat off? Or are seated in a car? I wear an LL Bean thigh length coat in the winter. It is warm on the coldest of days, has a lot of pockets and is totally innocuous looking. I am a big fan of the snubby revolver. Most of the time I pocket carry (pants), but I also have the capability to discreetly move it around. Long walk with my dog it goes in my coat side pocket. Lot of driving it goes in the chest level cargo pocket where it is accessible even with a seat belt on. Going in for a business meeting where coat needs to be removed it goes back into the pants pocket. Also lots of coat pockets means spare reload, pepper spray, small flashlight etc, Works for me.

Buy a good coat that you like and have a tailor install side zipper. Screw tactic-cool. Too much money. Besides consider it camo to blend in with the sheeple with a regular type coat.

Thank you all for your input, good info here. I'll continue looking around. A lot of these coats as mentioned are certainly "tacticool" but scream I may be carrying a gun...lol. I currently have a great Timberland 3/4 coat with a liner but even with practice it's difficult to get a quick draw unless the coat is left open. I'd like something with side zippers. I'm sure there's something just like I want, just gonna have to keep searching.

Buy a good coat that you like and have a tailor install side zipper. Screw tactic-cool. Too much money. Besides consider it camo to blend in with the sheeple with a regular type coat.
That's a great idea. I love the coat I have now but like I said it's tough to draw because of its thickness and length. Thanks for the idea, that just might work!

I think a lot of winter coats could be considered tactical if by tactical one means being tactical as opposed to looking tactical. The Kitanica coats above certainly "look" tactical, but I would never wear one. Part of actually being tactical is going unnoticed. I would rather not look like a cop, security person or paramilitary type. Any warm coat with good pockets should fit the bill. All methods of carry and concealment have their pro's and cons. A winter coat is great for concealment, but perhaps not so great for fast access in all situations. A long coat can conceal an OWB of even the largest size, however, what if you have to take the coat off? Or are seated in a car? I wear an LL Bean thigh length coat in the winter. It is warm on the coldest of days, has a lot of pockets and is totally innocuous looking. I am a big fan of the snubby revolver. Most of the time I pocket carry (pants), but I also have the capability to discreetly move it around. Long walk with my dog it goes in my coat side pocket. Lot of driving it goes in the chest level cargo pocket where it is accessible even with a seat belt on. Going in for a business meeting where coat needs to be removed it goes back into the pants pocket. Also lots of coat pockets means spare reload, pepper spray, small flashlight etc, Works for me.

This. I wear a normal Columbia jacket and pocket carry my PM 9. I could easily pocket one of the compact Glocks in that and no one would know. Hands in your pocket in a jacket is perfectly normal. THAT is tactical. No one knows you're armed.

Good stuff!!

I like my 5.11 5-in-1 Jacket. Ive had it for a few years and its held up really well. Can be worn year round as a winter coat, fleece, vest, wind breaker, and rain coat. There's a longer 3-in-1 parka version.

I appendix carry, so coats have been largely a non-issue. I wear layers anyways, with TACTICAL SOFTSHELL, because no operator worth his salt will be caught without softshell. [rofl]

UA Cold Gear + some kind of woodland scorpion wolf colored midlayer + light wind/water layer = my winter setup.

I appendix carry, so coats have been largely a non-issue. I wear layers anyways, with TACTICAL SOFTSHELL, because no operator worth his salt will be caught without softshell. [rofl]

UA Cold Gear + some kind of woodland scorpion wolf colored midlayer + light wind/water layer = my winter setup.

You should make a tactical crotchless parka (in all the tactical colors and patterns) for appendix carry and charge $600+ for it.

Every tacticool operator knows ya got to start with a good pair of underwear, remember before you can be tacticool you got to be testicool

Never go out in the field without good testical support

Was going to post a pic of funny tactical underwear with the post, but the Google search decided I ment something else, words do not describe

Back
Top Bottom